• Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

My set up

Rich_B

Registered
Hi people,

I thought I would create a 'build' thread for my tank, rather then constantly asking questions on my 'welcome' thread.

The current spec list is as follows:

Aqua Medic Perc 90
Fluval heater (which will be getting upgraded to a new heater)
2 x Ocean Runner pumps
2 x T5 lights (which I might change for something different)

I plan to purchase the LR, substrate and other equipment over a period of the next 5 to 6 weeks.

Lighting

My first plan is to purchase a light upgrade and was looking at expanding from two T5 bulbs to something along the lines of the link below....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/T5-Aquarium-Fish- ... 4837a7c1a0

Pumping

So this is the plan for moving the water around....

One Ocean Runner in the bottom of the centre chamber

The other Ocean Runner in the chamber on the far right (maybe connected to the tubing my LR will be attached to, if people give the all clear?)

A third powerhead/wavemaker inside the tank.

Bearing in mind I am planning an L shape kind of aquascape, perhaps adding a small tower of LR in the clearing and having the powerhead aiming down the middle, creating a kind of current through the centre of the reef. What would peoples suggestions be on that?

As for protein skimmers, an RO unit and other random items, I am still carrying out research.

Pictures of the tank so far....

P1090585.jpg

P1090588.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Rich_B

Registered
Well things have been progressing slowly. I have now completed the framework which will help support the LR (See pictures). The framework has been designed so that I can run a flow of water through it, meaning I am able to keep a good flow within all areas of the LR. There is a pipe that runs from the framework to one of the holes where I will be mounting a pump on the other side.

P1090589.jpg

P1090591.jpg

P1090590.jpg

It came out really well in my opinion and the next steps are to purchase a new heater, skimmer and RO unit, so I am then able to use RO water to rinse my tank down with, once I have removed the scratches on the inside of the glass.

Thanks for looking.

Rich

B

BigLarry

Lookng good!

An ambitious framework for the rock - how are you planning on removing the scratches?

Rich_B

Registered
Thanks guys. I've seen it done before online, so I thought I'd copy it and see what the results are. As for cleaning the glass down, a machine polisher (used on cleaning cars) and some Jewellwers Rouge.

Here's a link to the jewellers rouge http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-To ... 8-190&p=gs

It can polish glass and remove light scratches. My mate used to work repairing windscreens and windows. They used to use this stuff to repair scratched glass!

gillyspot

Registered
I am very interested in your thread particularly as I have a perc 90 too.

Your idea with the aquascaping sounds really different too.

G

looking good so far m8,the idea re flow through the rock support is very good,look forward to seeing your updates,well done

Rich_B

Registered
Thanks again everyone. I will be getting an RO unit this weekend, so I will be taking the pump idea to the next stage with a trial run. I plan to have enough water in the tank to get the pump working safely and to see what happens. The pump might even be too powerfull for the plan I have, which wont be a major issue, I'll just downgrade to a smaller pump. It's all trial and error really, but I am keen on good flow through the tank.

hunuekou21

Registered
Thanks guys. I've seen it done before online, so I thought I'd copy it and see what the results are. As for cleaning the glass down, a machine polisher (used on cleaning cars) and some Jewellwers Rouge.

Here's a link to the jewellers rouge https://www.jewelerstoolsmall.com

It can polish glass and remove light scratches. My mate used to work repairing windscreens and windows. They used to use this stuff to repair scratched glass!

I have get jewellers rouge now, thanks