1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured My Salty Way Of Life - Second Coming..

Discussion in 'Large Tanks (101gal+)' started by Monty76, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Monty76

Monty76 Registered

We here we go! I sincerely hope I do not make a complete :asshole: of myself. I decided to write my post before a glass of wine as the later the evening goes on the more unreadable my posts get lol. Also have had to time out my PC as slighty inubriated I get this tendency to buy marine equipment on a regular basis that is not always needed. :innocent:

Well I joined only one marine forum TSB just over 2 years ago and after one night did not see the need to look else where, and this is where I met you lot and what a result that has been, thanks to Durky for making this site so user friendly for us newbies and to those of you that always help, (Please don’t shoot me if I forget you, too many to mention but, Bara, Ade, Pete, Ged, Matt, Steve at Bust Aq, Hazey and the those un-named etc etc so so may thank you so much).:clap:

Well, to earn my stripes I bought from eBay a small 200ltr 3 foot in oak.

DSC_0067.jpg DSC_0070.jpg DSC_0069.jpg DSC_0068.jpg

as you can see the rock scape bunged in although I thought this was wicked at the time, canister filter, probably too many fish, although my husbandry regime has been second to none I have lost very few fish and my current fish are in top top condition. I hear you say, but the corals are pants. Yes they are but this is my next learning curve, Ade I will be calling in on you both to buy and for advise as your the man Worship

So out with the old and in with the new, so here we go.

I purchased from MA a 4x2x2 with sump 36x15x15. I don’t know how much volume this will hold, tank 432 lts 95 gals without displacment and sump would hold 132 ltrs or 29 gals, I assume you sort of half this? (advise required) so total volume with out displacment will be approx 498 ltrs or 110 gals, I'd appreciate if someone can confim this and a mod to put in correct section if it is in the wrong one? Yes in oak again, one of the missus
    stipulations!! :whistling:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2012
  2. Monty76

Monty76 Registered

Re: My Salty Way Of Life, Inspired By you Magnificent “The Salty Box” Members.

Here she is:-

DSC_0046.jpg

DSC_0047.jpg DSC_0071.jpg DSC_0047.jpg

3. Monty76

Monty76 Registered

I shall list the equipment when home which has maxed out the good old plastic, (mind you looks like the lights managed to get in there? thank god the missus has not seen the statement else it could be :suicide:

Attached Files:

4. bigguy

bigguy Registered

Looking good what are your stocking plans

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2

5. Aaron

Aaron Photography pimp

Tank looks very nice, I've just seen you're in Bognor. Ever been to Reef Aquatics?

6. Monty76

Monty76 Registered

Hi, firstly not sure what to stock coral wise as I am so uninformed on them so will be looking for loads of advise and ideas.

Aaron, yes that is my LFS and go in there twice a week :) Dan is the owner and a true gent.

7. Aaron

Aaron Photography pimp

I've been in 3 times whilst in the area, he seems very nice. Coral selection could be better. What I liked was he checked what I was buying was suitable and I knew how to care for it.

8. Monty76

Monty76 Registered

Yes mate, he is good like that, his fish stock is generally good also but coral has been an issue for him, but I know that he is working very hard to a better standard.

9. Monty76

Monty76 Registered

As promised here is the equipment list that I have purchased over the last two months while my dead live rock and reef bone soaked in RO.

As above Maxispec Mazzara Series P x3 modules controller and mountings.

DSC_0053.jpg

x2 Vortech Power heads and Battery back up
    076.jpg

Redsea Ozone 100 Delux with air dryer
    DSC_0056.jpg
    V2 600 UV
    DSC_0055.jpg

10. Monty76

Monty76 Registered

It's Getting Wet :)

Tunze 3155 Osmolator
    DSC_0058.jpg

x2 DD Fluid Reactors & Nac-7 again from TSB Sponser
    DSC_0061.jpg

Cooling Fan
    DSC_0060.jpg

x2 Ehime 5000 Comps
    DSC_0062.jpg

New TC-10 Temp Controller already wired in by a TSB Member :)
    DSC_0066.jpg

Chiller of ebay on one of those drunken moment mention in first post, can't remember the make but hardly used and works wicked.
    DSC_0063.jpg

AWC 50 - Its the dog danglies
    DSC_0064.jpg

25Kg of reef branch, 50kg of reef plate & 80kg of dead live rock now drying after 8 weeks of soacking and 100% water changes every other day
    DSC_0049.jpg

And of course the consumable plumbing pipes etc

So this is called credit card bashing :dance:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  11. PaulM

PaulM New Member Forum Support

Looks a lovely tank fella and I bet your credit card needs a while to cool down now :)

Just love all the wine behind the vortech gear :thumbup1:

12. Monty76

Monty76 Registered

Paul, that is what screws up my posts lol, I do like that one though :tongue:

Forgot to mention the V600 Calcium reactor and all the gubbing turning up tomorrow and Barra has done me my AWC trolley Big Thumbs Up

13. Monty76

Monty76 Registered

Firstly I should explain what my plans are:w00t: I have gather so much inspiration for all you guys but having visited Barracudas I feel in love so intend to do my own version in a Monty/Barra style. :clap:

I have a centre weir and intend to build a sort of rising column of plate and branching. I had intended to use agro which Barra use on the back wall as a 3D rock wall, but was able to buy 80kg of dead live rock for £80
    and broke up over half a day I’d say 20kg which will become my own 3D rock wall, I have white wine vinegar soaked for a week and then 7 weeks of RO to leach the phos which has worked a treat cheers mate. WorshipWorship

14. Monty76

Monty76 Registered

As for the plumbing, a big shout to Epo Matt and Steve at Bur Aq for all there help after the abortion of MA. Matt designed it and Steve provided me all the right bits :)

Here is Matts design with fit perfect :clap:

4x2x2tankandsump.jpg

15. Monty76

Monty76 Registered

and here is where it is at thus far.

DSC_0065.jpg

16. Monty76

Monty76 Registered

Ok now for some advise please ladies & gentsWorship

This is how ideally I'd like my two MP40's

MP40 Positioning.jpg
    What are your thoughts?

Also can anyone confirm my tank and sump volumes with out displacement?

17. barracuda

barracuda Registered

Now i must say im not that kind off gezzer mate. :tease:

Looks good man bet you cant wait to put it all together, lay off the wine tho when you start lol.
    i make the displacement 558ltr empty dude so i will put this in large tank section. :thumbup1:

personally i think the vortechs work better opossite each other on a tank of your size as they have the length to perform in where as only 2ft if on back wall if you see what i mean.

18. Monty76

Monty76 Registered

Lol,

It has been getting harder and harder as time has one on but listend to what you said about the rock, so have done it properly. Yes will not be drinking durin gthe build stage I'll struggle sober. The displacement you have worked out is that sump full or half empty bud?

I tak you rpoint on the MP's just want the left hand side on the back if poss so I can camo it up with rock on the 3D wall so was worried about the performance both on the back, what about the left as you see it on the side wall right on the rear?

19. barracuda

barracuda Registered

have you downloaded the vortech instruction manual? this has loads of positioning configurations.
    main thing to remember is- you dont want them close to rock work etc, you will get the most from them in open water.
    full sump that was dude, know you lose some but conbined volume will just srcape through lol.
    how about we call it "Monty mans wine tank" or something. :taunt:

20. Monty76

Monty76 Registered

Lol, point taken on the MP's have not even opened them mate but get your gist and understand it.

PS: Is Sunday good to pop over? If so what time would be good for you, you know so you get a change to clean the glass.:whistling:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice