1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured My Rio125 Help Thread!

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by wackystarfish, Sep 5, 2009.

1. wackystarfish

wackystarfish Registered

I would have done, but i dont know how to attach the light caps to the hood :S Im a DIY a phobe xD I figured that it might be simpler if i just get a new center hood thing

2. kbekl

kbekl Registered

what hood is it ?

if it is the standard juwel hood then you could use the existing t8's as actinic's which have a better surface area for them

then their are a couple of ways to go silicone a light fitting like this one in place
    [​IMG]

or drill a little hole and attach the the twist clip through it and it will hold in place

or a little black pvc bolt and attach the arcadia one's to the flaps

3. wackystarfish

wackystarfish Registered

Is siliconing hard to do? And does it have to be aquarium friendly stuff? Also, is there much chance that something would go wrong and it would fall in the tank? BASICALLY can an idiot do it XD!!!!
    We dont have a drill so we couldnt do that! It is the standard black plasticy one. The plan was to use the old T8's as actinics anyway :)
    Thankyou so much for your help!!!! Finlay

4. frazzles84

frazzles84 Registered

I with you on that one o[[[ Im afraid of anything DIY and fish tank. Im keeping well up to date with your post. Seeking your advice in mine when you get a chance (really should have it in help and advice) :oops:

5. wackystarfish

wackystarfish Registered

Will pop over there and have a look now :) Its great to have someone with the same tank at the same stage :D

6. frazzles84

frazzles84 Registered

I think im going to follow you with a refugium and go on recommendation from Kbekl as well. :lol:

7. wackystarfish

wackystarfish Registered

Have posted :)
    Throughout this project; i keep casting my mind back 'Why didnt i just get the orca!' but i have to remind myself that in the long run, all this hassle will be worth it! Il have my own personalised tank that i will be able to be proud of :)

8. kbekl

kbekl Registered

two ways of doing the hole way get a sharp blade or knife and rotate the knife where you want it to go and you will have a hole not a tidy one but a bit of sanding will cure that or use a hot poker heated on the cooker will be neater this way

silicone can be done by an idiot i managed it lol

silicone holds your tank together so should be strong enought the other option is to use super glue or a glue gun

aqua silicone should be used really as it can get condensation on it and drip back into the tank

if you go the silicone way use aquamate it is about £3 for a tube rough up the fitting and hood where you will apply it with sand paper to allow the silicone to grab ahold and then allow to cure for 48hrs with the clip in the air then should be ready to go

9. wackystarfish

wackystarfish Registered

Cheers, i owe you £30 xD

10. frazzles84

frazzles84 Registered

Good luck with the lights :--

11. northernmonkey

northernmonkey Registered

Fin I have a drill mate .

12. kbekl

kbekl Registered

if you have any probs let me know i will try to help as best i can via the net

or post them in a sae envalope to me and i will do it for you if time wise you are ok

13. wackystarfish

wackystarfish Registered

Thats a very kind offer, but i think it would be quite hard to post them due to the size XD

14. wackystarfish

wackystarfish Registered

Woohoo!! This tank is OFFICIALLY GOING SALTY!!!
    Took about four hours scraping out all the gravel + eco complete, moving the inmates - draining - scrubbing the algae, taking out the filter box (suprisingly easy)
    AND!!!
    My skimmer has arrived!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Got a lot of coraline on it - how do i clean it off?

Pics up as soon as the stupid computer recognises the camera >.>

15. wackystarfish

wackystarfish Registered

[​IMG]

- Draining the tank

[​IMG]
    - All nice and tidy now :D

-The inmates not very happy about their new lodgings - Plants going off ASAP to buyer
    [​IMG]

Some Skimmer Pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Realist

Realist Registered

I would be looking to upgrade the skimmer if you can, they are only really designed for nano tanks and yours is a little bigger. If it was me I would look at the MEC300 from Deltec. I think that v2 nano will struggle tbh.

17. wackystarfish

wackystarfish Registered

It will do in the short term - i dont have enough money to go for the big and flashy ones; i will be meticulate with my water changes.

18. Realist

Realist Registered

No worries, if you have good flow through the rock and good filtration it can be questioned if you need one at all (berlin method)

Looking forward to the build mate.

19. wackystarfish

wackystarfish Registered

Exactly, and for someone who wasnt going to include one at all - anything is a benifit! :lol:
    As you can see in the drained tank pic, where the filterbox was are some black silicony marks, anyone know how to get them off?

20. frazzles84

frazzles84 Registered

Looking good :)) How are your purchases coming along? PS What powerheads did you go with?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice