1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured My Rio125 Help Thread!

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by wackystarfish, Sep 5, 2009.

1. wackystarfish

wackystarfish Registered

OK, in order to get some help whilst i set up my project, i was hoping i could keep this thread where i can pick up some help whilst i set up, and gather parts for my Rio 125l marine project!
    This is my first venture into marines and so il need all the help i can get!

OK! To outline the project!

The main goals i have in setting up this tank are:

To be able to keep a variety of corals
    To house a pair of mandarin dragonets

Other than that, im easy!!! I am gradually collecting all the tech stuff bit by bit as they come up in order to keep costs to a minimum as i dont have a job (Have applied for a couple, am waiting for an interview) so im using the money i got from doing well in my GCSE's to fund this project. The money i have currently should be enough to pay for most of, if not all of the tech part of the tank. By then, i should be sorted with a job, and i should be able to start spending on the good stuff!

As far as im concerned, ANY help in sourcing this stuff is HUUUGE! So please speak up!

Here is my current list of stuff :p
    All the stuff in the 'sorted' section i havent ordered however i am happy with the price.

Sorted
    1 X Refractometer £17
    1 X Hi-Lite 80cm Unit £62.95
    1 X Marine White Bulb (28 Watt, 590mm) £18.95
    1 X Marine Blue Bulb (28 Watt, 590mm) £18.95
    Total : £117.85

Needed

2 X Koralia 1's
    1 X Boyu Skimmer
    1 X Blue LED strip
    1 X Salt
    1 X Salifert Marine Test Kit

(Light Unit and Bulbs ordered from Charterhouse Aquatics)

OK some things i need to know:

1. Am i right in getting one blue and one white bulb?
    2. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :MEBIDX:IT Is this skimmer allright?

3. lets think about stocking!!!!

Wanted
    2 X Mandarines
    2 X Clowns of some sort
    Id love some starfish as well, Asterina probably, hopefully il get some freebies with the rock, i just think they are beautiful!

Could i have anything else? Id like some more colour or something interesting :)

AND FINALLY!
    What kinda sand so you think i should get, and how deep?

Finlay

have a mexican wave for your help :p

::::-0000 ::::-0000 ::::-0000 ::::-0000 ::::-0000 ::::-0000 ::::-0000

2. wackystarfish

wackystarfish Registered

...Or several as it seems!

3. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

That skimmer will be ok on light stocking. If you wanted heavier stocking, look for an MCE 300 second hand, very good skimmers.

How deep is the tank Finlay?? What types of coral do you wish to keep?? This will affect your lighting decision.

Korallia 1's are a good price from Charterhouse, thats where I got mine from.

The Salifert test kits are individual, unless you find a store that is selling them as a package.

Initially you will need

pH
    Ammonia
    Nitrite
    Nitrate

Perhaps get Alk later and then Calc, Mag, Phosphate (D-D is best but expensive) is you wish to keep hard corals.

Have a read and decide whether you want to use phosphate remover and carbon. Muzzy does a good range at Tank Tests that are not too expensive at all.

If you are wanting to keep a pair of Mandarins in there, you will need more than one pod culture going. I as you probably know have a pair in a 240 litre sumped system, my sump provides extra to what is in the tank and I have a pod culture, I also use Reefphytos concentrated coral pods and have them feeding on frozen. This is not their permanent home however, they will move into a 6ft sumped 800 litre system as soon as I can find the tank without breaking the bank.

Have a look through the stickies at the top of this section, there are a few points in there that may help with your decisions, they are not finished yet though, more work for me to do.

4. wackystarfish

wackystarfish Registered

Yup, i wouldnt be adding the mandys for 6 months. The pod culture would be started the moment the LR is in, so by the time they are there, its an all you can eat pod buffet!
    The tank is 47cm Deep. Corals im looking at are Star Polyps and Sun corals, however im open to anything that moves in the flow! May look for a better skimmer then.
    Thanks!
    Finlay

5. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

47cm is 18.8" so you are prob looking at 18" water line. Sorry I have to work in inches for tank measurements.

2 tubes will be ok for some of the lower light loving corals. Would you have room for an extra tube in there at all, would give you more scope, if so another white would be good.

Otherwise this will start you off ok, you may be able to keep Euphyllias higher up, they move with the flow.

6. wackystarfish

wackystarfish Registered

I think il just leave it at this to begin with. If i want to go more advanced i can always see to adding a new bulb :)
    EDIT: BTW, what would you class as 'light stocking' in my tank?
    Would a pair of mandies, a pair of clowns and possibly some gobies be heavy?
    Thanks,
    Finlay

7. northernmonkey

northernmonkey Registered

Hello mate if it helps you are more than welcome to drop by and have a look how mine is running and what sort of bit's you can use to make the hobby a bit cheaper :--

8. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

That is going to heavier stocking yes.

I know you are prepared to work for the mandarins, very few people manage to keep a pair in that size tank. You will need to be prepared to get pods at very short notice if the culture crashes.

Will be glad to help, just want you to know that its not easy. Some forums would bash at you for even mentioning it to be honest, the rule has been 90lb live rock minimum for just one.

Is there a particular reason that you want a pair, because if you don't want to try to breed (extremely difficult to get hold of the food the fry require in UK, very few people have bred them, I intend to try, but know it will be extremely hard) then you may be better with just one.

9. wackystarfish

wackystarfish Registered

Well, maybe this is just a pipe dream. I would just love to watch their shows to each other as they interact.
    But honestly, if you are suggesting against it, i wont. The welfare of the fish is my highest priority.
    If it is any conselation, i would have been running a second, backup culture in a seperate, smaller tank in the cabinet. That way if there was a crash, id be able to take them from somewhere. However, again, if its not in the intrest of the fish themselves, its the last thing i want to be doing, but hey! Im learning, i cant get it all right!!!

Northernmonkey, that is a very kind offer that i might take you up on some time :) Its good to know i have a backup aquarist if things go completley wrong!
    Thanks guys :)
    Finlay

10. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

It is your choice Finlay, I just want you to know that its not easy and you may end up having to purchase pods.

I always have a culture going, which you would be welcome to some of them if yours did crash, but if mine has recently crashed, it would be difficult. They can just crash for what seems like no reason at times. You would then need to be prepared to purchase some for the tank, and some for a new start for the culture, which will take a few weeks to get back up to sufficient levels.

This would of course be eased if you could get them onto frozen and or pellets as well. Again not the easiest thing to do, but they do seem to learn well from my experience.

Selection of specimens goes a long way to getting them to thrive in your tank, you really need fat ones to start with and preferably those that have already eaten frozen in the shop.

Its your decision, I am just giving you the info you need to decide. :--

11. wackystarfish

wackystarfish Registered

I know :) I dont know what id do without you!

Well probably a disastourous tank full of starving mandarines :shock:

Its something that il need to think about, it is about 6 months away anyway so il have plenty of food for thought :)
    Does anyone have any ideas for interesting starter fish that i could keep?
    Thanks,
    Finlay

12. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

Out of the list you gave earlier, I would add the clowns first.

You get a lot of vision from a pair of clowns, they are always up to something and are also fairly hardy.

They are characters and are very funny to watch.

Have a look on Live Aquaria website at the fish they have, lots of choice and pictures to give you an idea.

If anything catches your eye especially, ask us about it.

You have 6 months to think about the Mandy, use that time to have a read about them, search for anything you can find. Again, any questions just ask.

13. wackystarfish

wackystarfish Registered

:) Ok, thankyou.
    From the Live Aquaria website i liked the look of...
    OH SO MANY FISH!
    Il list the ones that are plausible though ;)

Royal Gramma
    Yellow Head Jawfish
    Pretty much all of the Gobies!
    Firefish

Any stocking ideas?

Finlay

14. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

Royal gramma, is a very nice fish, have one myself, needs adding towards the end of stocking as they can give new comers a hard time.

Jawfish needs a deep sand bed, you would need to decide if this is what you want in the tank.

Gobies are characters, if you like them, I suggest you look at blennies too.

Firefish can be a little nervous, depending what is in the tank with it. If you want one, best to go for all peaceful fish.

You are probably looking at a maximum of 5 fish, aim for 4 with the Mandy being number 5 and look at fish that inhabit different parts of the tank, you pretty much are doing that.

15. Tim Hayes

Tim Hayes Registered

Re: My Rio125 Help Thread! - Mandarin suitability.

I'd be wary of keeping a pair of Mandarins in a tank of this small size.

Mandarin mating can be quite brutal. As part of the courting rituals you'll often see the male dragging the female around by one of her gill covers, during one of my early pairing attempts I watched the male drag the female the length of a four foot tank in this manner. She really didn't appreciate the constant attention and was continually trying to get away from the male.

If this behaviour happens early in their relationship, before they've established a true pairing, the female may become stressed if she has nowhere to get away from the male.
    Having multiple systems I was able to solve the problem fairly easily by separating the male to another tank for a week or so before reintroducing him to the female in the original tank. During this time the female was boss of her tank and had more confidence when the male was reintroduced, the male was initially more wary having been introduced into what felt like a new environment. In time courting resumed on a more equal basis.

The species in question was Synchiropus picturatus and I'd guess that these gorgeous little fishes are one of the reasons that I got involved in this industry.

Cheers,
    Tim

16. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

I have to say Tim, my female has dragged my male around by the pectoral, the night she was introduced, in order tell him to go away. I did hold my breath for a while incase it did not work and did have a spare tank to transfer the male to should I have needed it. My male did not have time to become established either, 5 days later I introduced the female.

TMC do occasionally pair some Mandarins before sale, and this would be an option. I personally would not have a pair in such a small tank. Mine is small enough short term, but I only did that to ensure they were feeding on frozen before putting them into such a big system, where I would not have had the opportunity to form a feeding interaction with them.

I think once Finlay has done some reading, he will decide to stick with just one anyway.

17. wackystarfish

wackystarfish Registered

Il do whatever you guys think is right, i will only have one mandy then. I wouldnt want to do anything stupid, and it would be stupid of me to not listen to people with the experience! There would be no point in me asking if i wasnt listening!
    How deep a sand bed for the jawfish? Would 20lb bags do it? I kind of like the idea of a deep bed, it also means if i want anyother kind of digger fish / shrimp that likes a deep bed, i would be able to keep it :)
    Finlay

EDIT: Have been browsing The Aquatic Rooms website and spotted a lovely fish,
    A Falco Hawkfish :p
    Whats the info on them?

18. wackystarfish

wackystarfish Registered

19. northernmonkey

northernmonkey Registered

I have a hawkfish the same as that it is fine with the other fish all you will have to be careful of is it eating any of your crabs/snail possibly shrimps I think ? If kept well fed you should be ok :-D

20. wackystarfish

wackystarfish Registered

Awesome! It is definetly one to consider then :)
    Thanks,
    Finlay

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice