1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

My New Fish Only Setup

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks (31-100gal)' started by Sherlock, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Sherlock

Sherlock Registered

At last my new 350 litre Salty Box has arrived. Now the fun begins.

2. Sherlock

Sherlock Registered

Here we go with the next stage

3. Sherlock

Sherlock Registered

When all the water is in I can add the lights

4. chris

chris Registered

Hi its nice when you setup a new tank i think its the best part of keeping fish. What is your stocking list as its going to be a FO system, you need to work on the lines of 1 inch of fully grown fish per 4 gallon or 20 litres of water in the tank. Also you will need to watch the species you add as some fish are more agressive than others. Can i ask why you went for Ocean Rock rather than Live Rock, as it will not do anything for the filtration of the tank where as Live Rock will. I see you have an external filter is this what you are using for your filtration, if so do you have a sump as if you had a wet and dry Trickle filter would have been a better option for filtration. What Skimmer are you using as this needs to be on top of its job to aid good filtration of the tank. Please post what you are aiming to stock and other equipment you are thinking of using. ATB chris [001_smile.gif]

5. BigLarry

BigLarry Guest

How long before you decide to do away with the black filter box?

[001_huh.gif]

6. Hazey

Hazey Registered

nice going. Great tank
    What have you got in your external filter?
    What plans have you got for your setup...ie..what fish r u planning on keeping?

Keep us updated please

Dave

7. Sherlock

Sherlock Registered

Hi and thanks for your interest. I kept a reef aquarium 20-30 years ago (see photos on Hello All thread) I have decided to keep it simple this time and keep fish I couldn't keep in my reef, favourite is a lionfish so according to your calculation one lionfish and I'm full! I have no need for living rock if keeping only one fish. Ocean rock just provides a landscape so to speak. The black box will stay for a while at least.

8. chris

chris Registered

I kept a reef tank over 30 years ago and the equipment you have now to what we had then is amazing, i was doing 20% water changes every week to keep the water quality up to scratch. Now i do a water change every 3 to 4 weeks as the skimmer i have takes out a load of nutrients that all add upto bad water quality. If you are only having 1 Lion Fish in the tank you wont be over stocked at that rate, and should be able to keep up with good water quality easy enough.chris [001_smile.gif]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice