1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured My Experiences so far with the Triton Method

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by TimC, Jun 27, 2014.

1. TimC

TimC Registered

I am writing this as my personal experience with this product as a lot of people are asking questions about how I am finding it. This is in no way a conclusive list of instructions on how to do the method as I have made a few mistakes along the way as you will read....

First things first, my tank has just had it's first birthday and was setup from the beginning dosing the Red Sea program with NoPox, I was never very happy with the results I was getting and although I had a couple of SPS frags survive I could never seem to get the SPS to thrive.

A few months ago I was speaking to Ian at FishNoChips and he showed me that they had started stocking all the Triton gear. Now I had tried to get my head round Triton before and failed and gave up.... I just found it so confusing and the website didn't really give me any of the information I required. Ian obviously knew more about it than me but even he still had questions about how the method worked. We knew it was based around getting your water do Tritons datum then once it was at the level keeping it there by dosing 3 magic potions..

So I decided I would take the first step and send away a sample of my water for analysis. I bought the ICP test as I thought that one seemed better value for money and it would test my water for things that I could not. The test is very simple to do and just involved putting water in the vial provided, going on their website to register and get your customer ID number which you put on the label. A couple of stamps later then it is sent down to Vinnie who is the UK rep, he then forwards them onto Eshan in Germany. Due to the growing popularity of the Triton method the lab can get very busy, my result took 10 days to be processed.

The results themselves were not as bad as I'd feared, there were a couple of red flags that were mainly unwanted metals and a couple of other elevated levels. The recommended treatment was Detox (a copper binding product) and water changes. So I carried out the remedial work and did several large water changes and bought some Detox, now this is scary stuff..... Once it goes in your water goes black! It clears in a short time but it's not nice...

With the results not being too bad I decided to go for it and do the full change over. I turned off the Red Sea program, stripped down the sump and got rid of the sand bed. I already had some macro algaes so they stayed. I bought the 4 elementz along with some of their carbon and AL99 phosphate remover. A point which quite a lot of people don't get with Triton is that they look at the 4 x 1 litre elementz bottles and think that they won't last very long at all, and at £50 for the set Triton must be incredibly expensive. Those 4 bottles are in-fact concentrated and each of them are to be mixed with RO/DI which then gives you 10 litres of the 3 solutions (3 because elementz 3A + 3B are mixed together). So with that I also got 3 x 10 litre containers.

Mixing the elementz is very straight forward, simply add the solution to the 10ltr container then fill the rest with RO/DI, as I said before 3A+B are added together at this stage and then topped up with 8ltrs of RO/DI. One thing to note is that solution 1 is solid when it is purchased and requires breaking up which can be a bit of a faff, once is is dissolved in the RO/DI though it does not crystallise again. I used the containers that the elementz came in as my dosing containers. For the carbon/AL99 I used one of my reactors with both media in the same unit separated by a sponge with a slow flow going through it.

Starting the program you are required to know what your KH levels are, with 8dKH being the target number. Mine was at 12 so needed to be lowered over the next few days. The starting point for dosing is 10ml per 100ltrs, I started mine based on 500ltrs after displacement(this was actually a lot lower than i thought and I raised to tank volume to 650ltrs later). This gave me a starting dose of 50ml of each of the solutions. Daily testing started but only for KH and Salinity, you need to test your salinity as the elementz start to raise it over time (more on this later). The KH started to drop slow and steady and as I approached the magic number I started to raise the dose until it levelled out. Over the next couple of weeks my tank settled at 150ml of each of the elementz, as you can see this is quite a lot higher than the 50ml that you start with.... I think that that number is based on a new system with very little if any stock. When you start adding more of the solutions you start to see that the salinity starts to rise, there's a handy calculator on the Triton website which tells you how much water you should remove to maintain the level. So I now have 4 pumps on the go, 3 putting in and 1 taking out......

So there we go, we are now on the Triton method....:clap:

First impressions, WOW. All the LPS went into a feeding frenzy within 24hrs and they haven't stopped since. The water the following morning seemed clearer, no yellowey tinge. Over the next two weeks everything seemed to look brighter, colours started getting deeper, and polyp extension like I had never seen before.

Not everything was good however, one of the principal theories within the Triton method is feeding your algae, this of course encourages other algae to bloom. Now not everyone had this happen but i certainly did. Hair algae started appearing all over the L/R and I was having to clean the glass twice a day! My reasoning was that my display tank was out competing the sump with the algae. 2 G3 Radion Pros evidently had a bit more power than a LED floodlight from screwfix, who would of guessed that!!! So I dug out a spare LED tile that I had from an old system added that and that seemed to do the trick. Over the next week the algae in the DT cleared and the algae in the sump started to grow.

Now that everything had settled I thought it was time to visit @heller792 again and raid him for some frags, so thats what I did, a couple of brews later and a tub full frags I left a very happy man. I put these in the tank then left for work. I was going to be away from the tank for two weeks so entrusted the KH monitoring to my lovely wife. Took some pictures before I left and some when I got back. I was amazed! Not only had 99% of the frags survived, but they had actually grown!!

THE FOLLOWING PICTURES ARE FOR A GUIDE ONLY, THEY WERE TAKEN AT DIFFERENT TIMES OF DAY, HENCE SOME OF THE COLOUR DIFFERENCE, ALSO I CAN NOT GUARANTEE THAT THEY ARE TAKEN AT THE SAME ANGLE/ZOOM

IMG_4050.JPG IMG_4051.jpg IMG_4052.jpg IMG_4053.JPG IMG_4054.jpg IMG_4055.JPG IMG_4056.JPG IMG_4057.jpg IMG_4058.jpg IMG_4059.JPG IMG_4060.jpg IMG_4061.jpg IMG_4062.jpg IMG_4063.JPG IMG_4064.JPG IMG_4065.JPG
    After getting over the shock of how well they all seemed to be doing I ran some tests as I noticed that there appeared to be a bit of cyno reappearing on the sand, not a lot, but enough to annoy me. NO3 0! (never had that before!!) and PO4 of 0.64 hmmmm. And that is pretty much us up to date.... I've replaced the AL99 media and hopefully the PO4 is on its way down, I've also increased to bio-load a bit with a couple more fish to try and lift the NO3 back up a bit.

I'm sure I've missed some vital information out but if I remember things I will edit this post.

Again this is by no means conclusive on how the Triton Method is done, it is merely my account of how I've done it.

Cheers for reading
    Tim

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  2. screwloose

screwloose Registered

Although it's really just another way of maintaining levels in your tank, I still think personally it's the long way round.

if you get your water levels good, then dose or as I do use a cal reactor (better option IMO) then they never change,
    the only thing that changes is really nutrients, mine are always high so I have long since stopped worrying about them though.

stability at any levels is far better than a test and adjust system IMO.

your welcome to come and look at a basic setup anytime, cal reactor, Dsb, algae....that's it :)

3. Clearwater

Clearwater Registered

Super write up Tim

Your pictures tell Their own story

Looks like a great way for the less experienced to be able to keep SPS

Without the ICP test the elevated copper would have gone unnoticed and you probably would have continued to struggle with the more sensitive corals

The method is a modern version of balling classic with all the trace elements in the solution, but from what Ehsan told me, there are extras in the base Elimemtz
    For soft tissue growth which promotes
    Clams, LPS and SPS to colour up and show extended polyps

For the experienced reefer with a good stable system it can be seen as expensive
    I have no need to change my method, the ICP test was useful and it's helped me tweak my system

I think if more people with less experience
    Start to have nice tanks the Hobby will be all the better for it

It's often misunderstood if the KH is good and there are no nasties the cost is only
    The base Elimemtz, Activated Carbon and Phosphate absorber

Thank you for sharing your experience

4. TimC

TimC Registered

I think that there are many ways to skin a cat, going down the calcium reactor route for me was not really viable as for one thing I just haven't got enough room in my sump/cabinet for another piece of equipment. Another reason and probably the biggest for me was the simplicity of the method to maintain once it is set up. I work offshore so I can be away from the tank anything up to six weeks at a time. So looking after the tank falls to my long suffering wife. Now all she has to do is test the salinity (which she used to anyway) and the KH which she learnt to do. She even adjusted the dosing pumps under guidance via FaceTime! Lastly once a week she fills the 3 solution bottles and empties the waste water and the skimmer. Along with topping up the RO and feeding them of course.

Triton is not for everyone, as you say stability is the key, but for me it works.....

5. Oldman

Oldman Registered

Im going to give this triton method go once i get some things sorted but im going to do it my way...? oh no

Im running liquid phosphate remover and will keep this up as my first Triton test came through with aluminum in the water
    UV is running too always have and always will... never had any outbreak of any kind of infection each to there own on that on..
    50 micron sock keeping the water polished i hate bits floating around

So one set of base elements and will see how it goes , If it fails ive not lost anything still using the doser to do Alk , Calc and po4 remover..probably iodine

So why do i want to try this method if my tank is good .... dunno it just intrigues want to see if there is any improvement in my corals...he say looking at his purple monti thats a not quiet purple

6. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

Very good write up and great pictures,
    I don't run triton but have had there ICP test done and will be sending off another next weekend as a comparison test, The way I see it posts like this re-enforce the fact that triton dose work and folk are not spending their hard earned on something they will wish they hadn't. I'm seriously considering adopting triton 100% just for its simplicity if nothing else.

7. trout

trout Registered

Thanks for sharing. Growth and colouration look very promising.

I would like to know how you maintain the ionic balance in your tank. Do you replace old tank water (with high salinity) with fresh salt mix (with lower salinity) to restore ionic balance, for example?

To reduce salinity, some folks remove some tank water and replace it with RO to maintain salinity at a certain level, but this does not alter the ionic shifts that occur due to chloride accumulation.

Cheers

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  8. TimC

TimC Registered

Hi Trout

Generally the balance is all down to the elementz, Triton have calculated on a generic system how much is uptaken by what. For the more advanced reefers out there they do certain ingredients individually for "fine tuning".

The only water changes that are done are those required when remedial action is needed, for example an accumulation of unwanted heavy metals from a piece of equipment breakdown etc.

The tank is setup with an ATU for RO/DI to cover evaporation and at the moment I am removing 273ml of tank water to combat the salinity rise, the ATU obviously compensates for that also....

Sorry if this doesn't answer your question but this is why I let Triton worry about the chemistry side of things! :-dHysterical:-d

Cheers Tim:clap:

9. Oldman

Oldman Registered

Quick question..

Once the Base Elementz have been opened and mixed with Ro/Di to give you the 10lts of stock fluid is there now a usability window that they must be used in. Especially the 3a and 3b ones as they now have been mixed together

10. Clearwater

Clearwater Registered

Apparently this is not an issue nor for the additives the solutions are said to be stable

11. TimC

TimC Registered

+1 on the above..... I've heard of people with low dosage using the solutions over 12 months..... Lucky them!

12. screwloose

screwloose Registered

Thread cleaned

13. Celtic_Martin

Celtic_Martin Registered

Nice explanation Tim the more knowledge we have about whats in our water can only be a good thing. I for one will be getting a test done by triton. If I go down the triton method I am not sure and I will have to think about that. For people thinking about cost I would imagine there is actually a saving to be made as you will save on Salt cost and dosing costs possibly. Think I am convincing myself more.
    Thanks for the write up.
    Martin

14. Eyore

Eyore Guest

1------

15. diver 807

diver 807 Registered

I had a read of this method and thought I would give it a try but then saw the price. so that was it, way out of my pocket

16. onthejazz

onthejazz Registered

I've been reading alot about this method and I'm thinking of giving it ago,I've only got a nano so the set will last me awhile.I like the fact u get a choice of adding it by hand everyday and don't have to use a dosing unit.

17. screwloose

screwloose Registered

Adding by hand everyday, that sounds like a chore that will easily get boring.

anyway with a nano, just do your 5% or 10% water change weekly! you don't need this stuff.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice