1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured My Betta 680 Tank Thread - 225l *Now Broken Down*

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks (31-100gal)' started by Keyreef, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Keyreef

Keyreef Registered

My tank is now broken down as of 28th June 2012. All live stock sold and gone to better and bigger homes :) I am planning a 5x2x2 upgrade as we speak!

Afternoon all,

Well, my manflu is getting better so I thought as I have been here 2 days I should move in properly and bring my tank threads with me. Thankyou for the very warm welcome and I am very much looking forward to calling this place home from now onWorship

So, the boring bit.........hmmm actually, after reading about the piccie police I think I will add one straight away of my tank so I dont cause offense lol :thumbup1:

Taken 2 secs ago -

[​IMG]

As you can see, empty would be an understatement lol Still, slowly slowly catch the monkey apparently!

So now really for the boring stuff sorry, abit of background about me and my tanks. Dont worry, I wont be offended if you just skip to the pics lol This is a carry on of a thread started on another forum under the same member name so some people may have already seen it, and for this I apologise for going over old ground. I migrated to TSB for reasons I would rather not go into here because it is will enough documented about what happened and I honestly wish I found TSB from the start..............anyway I digress.

I decided back in July 2010 it was about time to get myself a marine tank. I have always loved the sea and snorkelling and have visited Egypt a few times now and are looking forward to going again this year. Even though I knew my love for the ocean was there, at the time I didnt really know how much I was going to enjoy or even if I was able to maintain a reef tank, and actually get any rewards from the hobby. So after careful consideration and taking some very good advice from Northfield Aquatics in Hull, I bought a small nano tank and got to work filling that.

Here is a pic of my Nano tank just after the Live Rock was added -

[​IMG]

During those first few weeks of Live Rock Cycling I had a good opportunity to do alot more research on my new hobby and it was then I decided I wanted to upgrade lol. I didnt drop this bombshell on my wife until a few weeks later mind but it just so happened that Northfield had the perfect black Betta 680 in which kept winking at me whilst filling up my weekly r/o water:w00t:

The mere mention of an upgrade had my friend making me a very good offer for my nano tank and he was happy to wait until my Betta 680 tank had finished cycling before picking it up, so I could look after my livestock up until the point I added them into my new tank:clap:

So the upgrade was born! I bet I only actually owned my nano tank seriously for a couple of weeks before I realised I didnt want it and wanted something much better but hey, I would rather have done this than spent thousands first, before realising actually I dont want to keep marine fish.

For the threads info, here is a pic of my nano tank before it was sold. The livestock was 2 X True Percula Clowns, 1 X Orchid Dottyback, a couple of softies, candy cane and cuc -

[​IMG]

As you can see above, since owning the nano I added an Aquabeam tile to it (frame kindly built by a good friend). The idea behind this lighting upgrade was pure and simply, I wanted one lol Please ignore the cyano on the sand, I did move a powerhead which seemed to be clearing it up.

Due to me wanting to upgrade straight away I never really did anything else to the nano tank apart from weekly maintainance and feeding so the picture never changed as such and I never really got any time to experiment with any corals etc. incase your interested, here is a recent picture of the tank at my friends house -

[​IMG]

I only sold the tank with LR, corals and cuc. He has since added a blood shrimp, cleaner shrimp, starfish and an Orchid Dottyback for a lone fish. He doesnt plan adding any other fish but he will obviously be trying new corals etc. You will also notice he didnt use any sand. Personally I like this look on this particular tank and I spent hours on my aquascaping and he literally just dropped the rocks in and again, I think it looks better lol (I am sure he will read this with his tongue in cheek lol)

I will post that and then be back with all the information about my Betta 680 tank. I did warn you it would be boring though lol

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  2. 4head

4head Registered

Re: My Betta 680 Tank Thread - 225l

Very nice keep the pics coming

3. diver 807

diver 807 Registered

nice looking set up,more pics later please

4. Marine Life UK

Marine Life UK Registered

Nice start there, like the aquascape

5. Keyreef

Keyreef Registered

Thanks for the kind words

Thought I would take a little break after typing that essay, now for the next one. Grab a cuppa and some chocolate hobnobs, your gonna be here a while lol

So, moving away from my old nano tank now, there was obviously more to deciding to upgrade than just seeing the Betta 680 tank. Firstly I suffer from a stomach illness which means that I am sometimes too poorly to maintain the tank daily. My wife obviously helps out but I thought a bigger tank would be abit more sympathetic to my illness and mean that my wife would have to do less when I am poorly :thumbup1:

There were also other deciding factors like more space for corals etc but along with the above and the fact my friend had offered me a good price on my nano, how could I say no? The money I got for my nano paid for the tank itself, all I had to pay for was LR and lighting woohooo. (Didnt tell me wife how much that would cost mind lol) So in the middle of September I picked up my new Betta 680 Tank upgrade from Northfield Aquatics and finally got to cycling the rock on 23rd September 2010.

Now pics before you all fall asleep lol

A pic of tank after it had been picked up and half way filling with r/o water -

[​IMG]

Here is a pic of the sump -

[​IMG]

A few more boring bits now Im afraid lol

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  6. Marine Life UK

Marine Life UK Registered

looks like a neat tank there matey, I also have a stomach complaint so I know what you mean

7. Keyreef

Keyreef Registered

Equipment List -

LIGHTING

2 x Aquabeam 1000HD Tiles (reef white)
    2 x Aquaray 500 Strip (reef blue)
    1 x Aquaray 8 way controller

Soon To Be Replaced By KR-93

Originally when setting up the tank I decided upon the above lighting. I was very happy with these until...........no nothing negative actually, Phil at Northfield got some KR units on display in his shop and I fell in love:w00t: That was it, KR93 on order and my current lights sold. My KR93 should be here anytime now so I will definately update the thread with pics when it arrives, cant wait! I would say I was like a kid a christmas but it appears UPS dont care about that and are enjoying holding onto the light aslong as possible lol

As it stands now, I only have 1 X Aquaray 1000HD and 1 Aquaray 500 over the tank as there are only my 3 fish and a couple of softies in there and the tile provides ample light for them, the growth is proof of this lol. These lights though will obviously go to their new home once my new KR-93 light arrivesBig Thumbs Up

Powerheads

1 X NeWave NWA 3000 Powerhead
    1 X NeWave NWA 2000 Powerhead

SUMP

1st Compartment

Instant Ocean Skimm 400
    A heater should be in here aswell but my friend smashed it fitting my new ball valve lol

2nd Compartment

This was the part modded for me by Northfields Aquatics so I could keep the DSB that houses my cheato (I rotate it daily). My DSB consists of 3-4 inches of sand followed by 1-2 inches of miracle mud topped over with another half inch or so of sand. I also have a 2 red legged hermits and an urchin who have made this section ther home:cool:

To light this section for cheato I use a SNL-450 HOB light.

3rd Compartment

My return pump came with the Betta 680 and is the HaiYang HY-806 Pond Pump. I also have a Phosban 150 running rowophos in this compartment. (Also forgot, my heater is in here)

Pics from when it was first up and running and clean lol (with old ball valve) :thumbup1: -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spike the Urchin -

[​IMG]
    (I'll be back)

8. Keyreef

Keyreef Registered

Thanks mate, sorry to hear that too bud :(

Thats really it for the background and the technical side of my tank you will be pleased to hear lol Its all about moving forward on here:wink:. I have had the usual problems many reefers face, I changed my aquascape about 15 times before I was happy lol, aiptasia, which was in the first instance combatted using Aip X but then I decided a couple of peppermint shrimps would be the answer. I added 2 Lysmata Seticaudata true peppermints. I appreciate these arent the usual true peppermints that most people get however i can vouch that this version also eat aips. Here is a pic of mine incase your wondering about markings etc :dance:

[​IMG]

With regards to other livestock in my Betta 680 at the moment, I previously mentioned I moved my fish from my nano tank to my Betta Tank, well I havent added anything else yet because I decided to wait until my light is here before introducing anything new. For CUC I have a mix of red and blue legged hermits, turbo snails and obviously my pepps. The move for my current fish went swimmingly (pardon the pun lol) and both true percula clowns and orchid dottyback are thriving in their new environment. WIth regards to CUC, I have a mix of red and blue legged hermits, turbo snails and obviously my pepps.

My clowns near their overhang -

[​IMG]

I was going to add a picture of my dottyback here but cant find one so I will try and get one tonight (along with a more recent one of my clowns).

Corals next:thumbup1:

9. Keyreef

Keyreef Registered

Well, I have had my tea and taken my man flu tablets so ready for the next round to bring my thread fully upto date:thumbup1:

Where was I? Oh yeah corals, well, like I posted earlier, I sold the small soft coral frags, zoa's and Candy Cane coral with my nano tank which left me with a fresh start on my new tank. Well, apart from a small frag I accidently snapped off the main Candy Cane Colony when dismantling the tank for moving lol

As before, because I am waiting for my new light to arrive I decided not to add many corals and just get a couple of softies in there for now, just so it wasnt bare.

Here is my first coral, a popular softie I am sure and grows like crazy, just cant remember the name lol

[​IMG]

The next is a gorgeous spaghetti coral. I love the way it wisps through the flow. I got 2 frags on one piece of rock when bought it so I gave my friend one of them, share and share alike:cool:

[​IMG]

Here is that frag of Candy Cane aswell, it was tiny when it first snapped off but is doing really well and growing lovely and as you can see from the picture, the heads are starting to split:thumbup1:

[​IMG]

We also bought a piece of Live Rock that is covered in Blue Clove Polyps and a green mushroom that came with the Live Rock. I havent got a good recent picture of them so as with the Dottyback I will endevour to get a picture over the next couple of days and upload it to the thread.

and breath!!!!! So thats it basically lol

Sorry for going on but I think if I am going to start a thread I might aswell put all of the information in it lol If I have missed anything please ask away and thanks for reading.

I will update the thread regularly as I am sure my tank will be changing many times over the coming months. Just hope my new KR light arrives soon so I can finally get on with it lol

Thanks again for reading

10. AndiH

AndiH Registered

Looking great mate, I followed your thread on the other forum with interest, how did the mod go with the return pipe?

Cheers,

Andi

11. Keyreef

Keyreef Registered

Thanks for the kind words mate, really appreciated:thumbup1:

Honestly, I am ashamed to say I havent done anything about it yet. I promised I would do it at the same time as my light arrives but as that hasnt come yet and as I have had man flu, no other excuse than it just hasnt been done.

I wouldnt mind but all I have to do is pull the short pipe out:dft001: and I should have really done it last week during water change. This week for sure, I just know now if I dont I will be coming on here whinging that I have had a flood lol Cheers for the reminder Andi mateBig Thumbs Up

While I am here there are a couple of things I forgot to document about my tank (again, apologies if like Andi you have read my other thread). The first being, I changed the ball valve as the stock one was a PITA to adjust. Here is a picture of my new ball valve - You will see it has connectors on each side. This is because the only ball valve I could source locally in the 3/4 inch size didnt have the correct "ends" to connect to the stock betta 680 pipework (handy I know lol). I appreciate I did things the expensive way by accident but atleast it works now lol

[​IMG]
    Finally is my last "gadget" if you like lol I had a close call with a heater a couple of weeks ago and it didnt turn back on after clicking off and the tank cooled down to 23C:eek: I only noticed by complete chance as I went to to do some water changes and I realised the water was colder than usual. Anyway, long story short, everything survived ok and in order to stop it happening again suggestions came flooding in about ATC's. On recommendation from a friend I bought a Thermo Control 2 II PRO Thermostat pictured here -

[​IMG]

My friend uses this for his reptiles and he swears by its accuracy and in the couple of weeks I have used it I am more than happy! It has a probe which you place in your tank and then you just plug your heater into it and sort the settings. I have set it up so that the temperature is at 25C-26C. If it goes as high as 27C or as low as 23C an alarm will sound alerting me:thumbup1: Perfect and hopefully alot more reliable than a stand alone heater thermostat! Here is a pic of the unit on my tank, up and working -

[​IMG]

Thanks again for reading and now the background is complete it will hopefully all be fresh updates from now on:thumbup1:

12. kermit kills

kermit kills Registered

verry nice thanks for sharing

13. CHreef

CHreef Registered

Have just read your thread. Very interesting, great pics. I like a couple of your soft corals, would like good in my setup!

14. Keyreef

Keyreef Registered

Thx for reading and the kind words:thumbup1: (Ive just added your website as a favourite chris, looks great, I will take a better look tomorrow mate)

Ive gotta admit I do really like my white "spaghetti" coral but the other softie is just mental and wont stop growing! I think I am going to have to learn real fragging before my tank is just one big softie lol Looking forward to adding abit more in a few weeks! Hopefully a torch of some kind etc.

Unfortunately there has been a delay with my new KR93 light and it wont be here now for another 2-3 weeks, which (as before) has pretty much put everything on hold stocking wise.:crying: Nevermind eh, they say the best things come to those who wait. By all accounts then this light should be better than the sunHysterical

Thanks again for reading, I promise better updates when I have something to report, I just want my light:beg::beg:lol

Cheers

15. Keyreef

Keyreef Registered

Just a quick update while I am here,

Somethings been having a munch on my LR Hitchhiker Mushy lastnight:eek:

Sorry for the pic quality, I dont know why my camera wont take pictures today. I hope you can make out the wedge that has been taken out of it -

[​IMG]

Hope it isnt one of these clown eating crabs:Worried:

Will keep an eye on it, dont have mushroom for coral eating things in my tank. Ha, see what I did there, mushroom......much room...........nevermind, my wife never laughs eitherHysterical

16. CHreef

CHreef Registered

If you do frag either your spaghetti or other white softie please let me know. I will take them of your hands.
    Thanks for the kind words about my website. It is my way of keeping a diar for myself and sharing with others.

17. Keyreef

Keyreef Registered

Funny you should mention that bud,

My bigger coral that wont stop growing (I think it could be a colt coral of somekind maybe?) is going to be my first test frag in the next couple of days:w00t: I decided I am going to frag a small piece/arm and keep that for myself and I was going to trade the main body at Northfields. I am more than happy to pass it on to you though (dont want anything for it obv)?

Tomorrow night I'll take my frag, post some pictures of whats left (dont mean it like that lol) and you can give me a shout if your interested:thumbup1:

18. CHreef

CHreef Registered

Sounds brilliant, many thanks

19. Keyreef

Keyreef Registered

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner mate, ive had a busy few weeks. I will definately let you know when I get around to fragging them though, it shouldnt be too much longer :wink:

Im just popping by for an update really. My laptop went POP the other day so I havent really been online, hopefully getting a new one tomorrow so back to normal again soon lol

A couple of new additions to my tank since I was last online Big Thumbs Up Firstly a fish I am "temporarily" homing for my friend until his 5 footer arrives. I darent even say what it is incase the police come out of the woodwork........ah sod it, this is supposed to be a friendly forum lol :tt2: A very small Orange Shoulder Tang, cant be bigger than 1.5" though, very young. After speaking to a LFS with my friend we chose the Orange Shoulder Tang. Not only is it a gorgeous young fish, it is not as territorial as some tangs and it will be fantastic to watch him morph into his old man state lol

Before I post pics I will say, as I said above, before the tang police come out and have a go, I DO NOT intent on keeping this tang in my tank once it gets even 3-4 inches big, we spoke to the LFS (2 seperate employees) who was in no doubt my tank would be fine to house the tang for atleast 6 months until my friends tank will be mature and ready for it. Depending how fast it grows will depend on when it is re-homed but there IS a tank for him to go to and I even think I may have an upgrade before he is ready to move on so I may well keep him myself yet (dont tell my friend that though, his new tank thread will be on TSB soon lol).

I have read many reports on keeping tangs in smaller tanks and I appreciate that although my tank is 50g, it is still too small for even an oldish juvenile Orange Shoulder Tang, so dont worry there is definately no need to flame my thread:wink: Fair enough if he is still in this tank in a years time lol

Anyway, pics lol -

My wife named him "diggler" but I dare say my friend will change it to something abit more manly when he takes him lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He is a right little character and has settled in fantastic and feeding very well. He has made friends with my clowns straight away (who are nearly double his size lol) and hangs around them most of the day playing around and cleaning the glass/rock etc. My Orchid Dottyback showed him whos boss the first hour or so in the tank but honestly the tang didnt seem bothered by it at all and now everything is very peaceful again.

So thats my Orange Shoulder Tang. I did mention another addition. I bought myself an emerald crab to help combat my bubble algae problem. Whether it will is another matter but hey, we can but try! Here is a pic of the little fella, meet "Paddy" -

[​IMG]

Thats really it for now. Still no sign of my new KR93 light unit so no more corals added yet but as before, the best things come to those who wait allegedly lol

Thanks for reading and please, Tang Police, I know I know:-d

20. Keyreef

Keyreef Registered

Hi mate,

I forgot to mention in my last update, I finally got around to looking at this. My stock pipework actually has a hole drilled into the bottom side of the return pipe elbow:eek:

I guess this is why I have never had any problems. I am thinking the people who have, have maybe changed the stock pipework and therefore the new pipework wont have the hole to prevent the back syphon? Just throwing out ideas mind, I know nothing lol

Anyway bud, just thought I would let you know I finally got around to it :thumbup1:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice