1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured My aqua reef 275 white cube

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks (31-100gal)' started by Mully, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Mully

Mully Registered

Hi guys, I'm new here so starting a thread on my new setup, hope you like :rolleyes:

firstly as above its an aquareef 275 in white which I love.

ps I'm rubbish at writing threads lol.

So far I have added a second hand aquaroche structure and a few shelves the stuff had totally dried out before I added it - sceptical about using this but bit the bullet as it was cheap

i also added 15 kg of my own live rock fully cured from a small nano I had running for 6 months to help cure the aquaroche, I have used this as extra shelving

im currently using standard 4x24w t5 tubes until cycled then I plan to use 8x24w t5 ati tubes

in tank 2 tunze powerheads 6015s

in the sump I have

Reefloat atu
    vecton 600 uv steriliser
    fr509 running rowaphos
    Standard return
    bubble nac 7 skimmer
    2x heaters and 2 150mm fans which I modded to the back of the cabinet,using a fan controller and all attached to an atc800+ works well +/- 1degree either side of 26degree

My major issue is my water is really green tinged which I have never had before, I'm guessing this is from the aquaroche? Is there anything I can do apart from wait impatiently and depressed looking at it lol ?

few days in and nitrites are astronomical,again I'm guessing aquaroche ?

Any advice welcome, I am using floss which is slightly tinged but nothing compared to the water column, hmmm

will add pics later as I'm tired writing this but wanted to post a basic thread to introduce and get to know you guys

any advice welcome and hello and thanks in advance

mully

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  2. Mully

Mully Registered

Sump pic for you

image.jpg

3. Mully

Mully Registered

The garden pond after being wet 5-7 days any advice welcome, this a new one on me, must be the aquaroche ?
    very depressing after good money spent, beginning to wonder if live was the way to go, damn lol

image.jpg

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  4. Clearwater

Clearwater Registered

Aqua Roch does create Nitrate and Phosphate spikes, some shops claim you just put it in, but best results are when its been soaked in RO and the water changed a few times

best bet is to do water changes to dilute the issue, make sure the Replacement Water is made from RO with 0 TDS
    you could switch the lights off, but it's only masking the issue

regarding tubes Narva Blue are half the price of ATI Blue Plus and look to have the same spectral output, there are a lot of us using them

5. Mully

Mully Registered

Cheers fella will look them up I'm open to any cost savers Big Thumbs Up

6. Mully

Mully Registered

best bet is to do water changes to dilute the issue, make sure the Replacement Water is made from RO with 0 TDS
    you could switch the lights off, but it's only masking the issue

Q: would you wait until cycled before changing say 50 percent or will it get out of control if I leave it, some algaes burn out but this I'm not sure lol

any advice welcome

7. Stitch76

Stitch76 Registered

I've got the same tank woth aquaroche , did exactly tje same as you new aquaroche plus 10kg of live from my nano in the sump.
    I got a rise in phos but nothing like that just starting to get it back down now with rowa in a bag and cheato in the sump
    Personally I would do a couple of large water changes 40/50 litres with good 0tds water

8. Stitch76

Stitch76 Registered

Forgot to add I used jbl denitrol to help seed tje aquaroche on the advice of the abyss seems to work

9. Mully

Mully Registered

What do you think to 100 ltr change rather than diluting as I go ?
    how is your tank running and what powerheads do you use to shift water ?

mully

10. Stitch76

Stitch76 Registered

At the moment I've got the stock return pump and skimmer a 3000lph chinese jobby and a koralia 900lph
    As for the big water change it dependson what stock have you got in

11. Mully

Mully Registered

Same here on the return and I use 2 x tunze which are 1600 each I think which doesn't seem enough but we will see. I'm thinking of changing the return soon once settled for an eheim 5000+ ( all the gear and no idea) lol

i don't have any stock and probably won't for next few months to be honest, I'm looking at keeping lps and sps only and 6-7 fish so want my params perfect and constant, I'm going to use Red Sea coral colours for corals read really good reviews on it ill dose abc and d

again any adivce is always welcome

12. Clearwater

Clearwater Registered

wait for the cycle or you will prolong it

13. Mully

Mully Registered

Thanks Clearwater that's what I was thinking

14. Mully

Mully Registered

Following starfish's advice I have ordered a new tmc 600 uv to aid the green water issue, I will report over the next few days how I get on

15. Shark

Shark Registered

Hello I'm in the process of setting up my new aquareef 275,just after some tips on sump setup,particular noise levels from the return pipe,I have added a filter sock,but still noisy,took out bio balls for either floss on layers of egg crate with phosphate removers,or live rock.has anyone blocked that jet of Water coming out into the weir,also noisy,may block it with some putty,also have a tmc uv 300,what's the best way to fit it

16. Mully

Mully Registered

Hi buddy,

i think the water fall noise is unavoidable, on my last tank it had 50mm outlet which I fed my skimmer with to reduce noise and maximise skim, the outlet on these are mahoosive so I guess it's unavoidable, I would also like to know a way to dampen the splash noise.
    bio ball removal is a good shout
    i don't know what you mean by jet of water into the weir , please elaborate pal
    the uv is best fitted horizontally I believe and on a 300 you will use a 250 lph supply for maximum water contact, I have removed the small glass divider on the right of the sump to accommodate my skimmer as I wanted my return pump after the skimmer to drag the water past the skimmer , hope that makes sense.

what skimmer do you have ? Are there any other mods you plan?
    Lights are my next upgrade 8 x t5 tubes for me Big Thumbs Up

17. Shark

Shark Registered

Well I'm just tinkering with at right now so see what works out best will let u know,already have a maxspect razor 120w to add from existing tank,was thinking to try and t off the return pipe to my uv rather than add another pump,so just need to know how,would like to upgrade skimmer to a bubblemagnus 5,hoping to get. The waveline dc5000 pump,I really want this setup to be as energy efficient as possible

18. Mully

Mully Registered

was thinking to try and t off the return pipe to my uv rather than add another pump,so just need to know how
    I don't think you would get the flow right would you ?
    I run a bubble nac 7 it's really good

19. Copland

Copland Registered

Have the same tank guys that I have had running for about 7 months, love it.

I have tried a few ways to make it silent. The best so far was a trip to B&Q to get some pipe and a join to make the overflow pipe longer (6" or so) so the water enters under the sump level instead of crashing down on it.
    The next thing was to extend the skimmer outlet pipes (X2) so the also was under the sump level and also top the sump up well past the max line.

Hope this helps cause now all I hear is my mp40.

Cheers,
    Steve.

20. Copland

Copland Registered

BTW, before making the sump level higher turn off the return pump and wait a minute, it will rise, then mark how much higher you can top up.
    Sorry if am telling granny how to suck eggs here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice