1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured My 48"x18"x24" reef tank

Discussion in 'Large Tanks (101gal+)' started by david.smith60, Aug 27, 2009.

1. northernmonkey

northernmonkey Registered

Great stuff mate . Good thing about xenia is that as it grows it is very easy to frag :--

2. david.smith60

david.smith60 Registered

I will be able to do sum swaps then. Is there any vids on U tube on fraging

3. Kev

Kev Registered

Nice setup you have there. :)))

4. ccuk

ccuk Registered

hi dave , i have the same durso set up as you , but ive added two pipes of the 90 degree elbow ones 1 inches from the bottom of weir base and the other ones about 6 inches from weir base , this helps remove the crude that can build up in the weir chamber base and you dont lose any flow ,

5. david.smith60

david.smith60 Registered

Sound interesting have you got any pics or can you do a drawing to explaine more mate.

6. ccuk

ccuk Registered

hi m8 hope this drawing makes a little more sense
    [​IMG]

7. david.smith60

david.smith60 Registered

Grate idea stops stagnent water in the bottom. Never thought of that thanxs for the advice. I will be doing this as soon as i can get a bit of pipe. Dont want to buy a full length.

8. ccuk

ccuk Registered

hows the tank coming along m8 ,

9. david.smith60

david.smith60 Registered

ye its coming along well thanks . not got anything new in the tank yet my wife expecting ower second baby in 4 months and promiced i would decorate :-0 what a drag . xenia growing like mad will post some more pics when pc fixed .posting off ps3 takes forever.

10. ccuk

ccuk Registered

you will have to join the yorkshire marine club on here when you get five minutes m8 ,

11. swin

swin Registered

nice tank and cabinet could you tell me where you got it from and how much
    good luck with it too :)))

12. david.smith60

david.smith60 Registered

It is from the same place Kev is getting his from. AC aquatics they have a good web site all prices on .My tank was about £600 delivered Cheapest i could find anywere

13. david.smith60

david.smith60 Registered

Didnt know there was a marine club near me how do I join

14. northernmonkey

northernmonkey Registered

It's in the section near the bottom of the forum mate . It is free to koin up . usually you all plan a day out around the LFS and frag swaps :--

15. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

Pop into that section of the forum and tell them your in - Thats It. :))

16. Hitnhope

Hitnhope Registered

Your set up looks top drawer to me as a novice. :))) :)))

I have ordered a tank same size as yours. I have never used a sump system before and I am very interested in the set up of your sump / pipework. I thought in the weir section there was one out and one in section whereas yours seems more complicated with 4 pipes I think.

Plus what have you got in your sump sections. Any chance of a diagram explaining how the pipework fits together and joins the sump.

Many Thanks

17. david.smith60

david.smith60 Registered

I will do a drawing as soon as i get my laptop back from being fixed for you. I have made mistakes with my system so hopefully I could help you not make the same ones. You could use only one pipe in and out but I chose two for a couple of reasons.
    1. Because my tank is only 18" front to back I didnt want the wier to cut into the tank as much as it would have done with a 1 large diamiter pipe.
    2. There is also the fact that if a pipe gets blocked you will still be alright for a limited time.
    The reason I chose to split the pump feed was so i could have an inlet at either end of the tank, this seems to give me very good water movment around the tank even before adding any power heads.
    My sump is very simple, and inlet section with skimmer and pump for phosphate reactor, then a bubble trap. 2nd section for growing algea. Last section is just the return pump.
    I will do a drawing for you though

18. Hitnhope

Hitnhope Registered

Many Thanks for that,

If I understand rightly . Your weir compartment only has two outlets both draining to 1st sump chamber. Your split inlets do not come through the weir but go to either side of the DT. Do the inlets come through predrilled holes in glass or over the top of sides?

I totally see you point about spliting the inlets. I have already ordered Weir with 1 Inlet and 1 Outlet. I think I might change the set up as I want this right from the start.
    :-?

19. david.smith60

david.smith60 Registered

Yes just two holes in wier both outlet. My feed pipes hook over the top. I will take some picks to give you a better idea.

20. Kev

Kev Registered

My new tank arrives very soon, and then I will order all my pipework fittings. I will take a pic of every piece for you, followed by one after instalation.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice