1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured My 3x2x2 Tank - Now closed down

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks (31-100gal)' started by Ged, Jan 5, 2010.

1. screwloose

screwloose Registered

Re: One year On - Now Running LED Lighting Only

[​IMG]

hey,,,its clarence junior [011.gif]

your welcome mate [001_smile.gif]

tank has come a long way in the pics mate, did i not tell you 12-18 months down the line it will just suddenly settle, [wink.gif]
    a lot will be down to maturity, along with your gained knowledge, and ever increasing keen eye for something out of kilter [thumbup1.gif]

well done buddy :)))

2. Ged

Ged Registered

LOL - You say all the right things. [005.gif]

I have had my camera for about 2 years and still wouldn't have a clue how to get the best from it. I know with the pictures today, I am on IMG_5851 so that means I have taken thousands, but only ever published about 200 ish - I do the same, put it on M and then try playing with the ISO and shutter speeds, currently at 1/30 whatever that means. I have bought loads of books and never read them though. I like to take hundreds and then look at them using PSP and seeing what they look like and then crop the best bits.

I have a Tamron lens, that is supposedly good for macro shots, but I have found without a tripod, it looks like the morning after a good night out on the beer. A decent quality macro lens costs hundreds so hopefully, your missus will sort you out. Nowt wrong with second hand mate, nearly all my fish stuff is, and if it wasn't I wouldn't have what I have now.

You have to do what you feel is right mate, every single tank is different and only you yourself will know if you are happy with what you have achieved. I honestly do not know if it is the less food, or the increased water changes that have given me the results that I have, it's not because I tried though, that much is certain. [005.gif]

I do give my tangs some nori every 4 or 5 days, I forgot to own up to that before.

I have the Deltec APF600 skimmer, and it just gets dirty, not too much skim mate in it, probably because I don't feed a lot though I guess.

3. Ged

Ged Registered

Thanks Nev for all your help, it does not seem like over a year ago that we made that trip to Heywood and filled your van with all the stuff. You have taught me loads mate and I truly appreciate it.

4. screwloose

screwloose Registered

its coz i love ya dude [001_wub.gif]

[005.gif]

5. Ged

Ged Registered

Nah.... I love you more, just like a brother. [004.gif]

:-:eek:

6. Whipitup

Whipitup Registered

Did the Aips implode??

7. Ged

Ged Registered

Yes Roger, but they will be back again tomorrow. I took some piccies especially for you.

8. Whipitup

Whipitup Registered

Confused!!!!.............I had a whole s h i t load of Aips on my LR when I first started, I hit them with Aip-x and they never came back.......honest.

There were "some" smaller ones that appeared after I killed all the big ones but my peppermint sorted those. So how come in some tanks they are killed and in others they aren't??

9. Ged

Ged Registered

In all the time I have had marines, Aiptasia-X has never worked. In my 3x2x2 I had hundreds initially, tried the Aip-X and it never worked. I got my CB and they all went.

The RSM has never had anything added for months, and yet it is full of Aips. I can only put this down to taking 20ltrs per week out of the 3x2x2 and so Aip spores are present and they have started to grow in the RSM. I won't even take a photo the RSM is that bad.

Both tanks have been treated with Aip-X - All pumps turned off, squirted into the Aip and then the disc covered. Two days later they are back.

The RSM now has 4 pepps and as soon as they get off their backsides and clear it, I will move them to the 3x2x2 tank to stay there and do the same. Whether it is too much skimming, too much flow, too much 'absolutely could be anything', categorically Aiptasia-X don't work for me.

This is about the 4th bottle that I have tried. A CB is about the same price, so I may as well buy another of them.

10. Whipitup

Whipitup Registered

"squirted"...............maybe thats the problem.

When I've treated Aips with Aip-x, I "drizzle" Aip-x above the Aip until it "grabs" the syringe and then gently cover the disk with Aip-x.

The Aip Implodes and never returns.

Is that what you do?

11. Ged

Ged Registered

This is what I normally do;

1) Turn off all the pumps
    2) I add the needle to the syringe and carefully screw them together
    3) I give the bottle a good shaking and then fill the syringe full of gunk
    4) Using the syringe, I put it in the tank and sneak up ever so quietly on the Aip, so as not to alert it as to what I am about to do
    5) I then gently squirt a little gunk into it's feelers, and then put the needle near the disc
    6) I then cover the disc completely in gunk (as per the piccies) as it's legs / arms or whatever you call them, wrestle the syringe out of my hand
    7) I then leave it minimum of 15 minutes, (more like 20 minutes) before turning the pumps back on

Lo and behold, 2 days later, they are back, bigger and better and meaner than before, with loads of little siblings, holding out huge banners saying, 'HAHA You just wasted £14 on us'.

12. Ged

Ged Registered

I spoke too soon, I did a water change before in the RSM and there is now a lesser amount of Aips in there. Obviously the pepps have now got the taste for them, so should clear them up.

13. paddy33

paddy33 Copperband

gratzzs mate lol still undecided on them tho :(

14. daveo_irl

daveo_irl Registered

Might get a peppermint myself, noticing a lot more Aips popping up around the tank..... [014.gif]

15. Ged

Ged Registered

A couple would do you for now mate. I only got 4 as I was going to put 2 in each tank initially, then decided against it.

16. Ged

Ged Registered

One would be good for now mate, it would probably stop any future outbreak.

17. daveo_irl

daveo_irl Registered

I suppose the only problem is finding one which will do the job! It can be hit and miss apparently....

18. Ged

Ged Registered

I got mine from Fishmansfrags, proper pepps. Some places sell similar looking ones apparently. Although I wouldn't be able to tell you where.

19. Ged

Ged Registered

Some piccies from today, having spent ages trying to get the corralline algae off the back of the tank. I did cheat though, I left some of it there, but below the LR level so those that need it to survive, ie the urchin etc have still got some to feed off.

20. paddy33

paddy33 Copperband

that looks a wee bit better dude how long it take you lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice