1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured My 1st Marine Aquarium

Discussion in 'Nano Tanks (11-30gal)' started by gozzy, Feb 7, 2013.

1. gozzy

gozzy Registered

Hi, I've had a planted tropical tank for a few years and recently decided to setup a marine tank.

Its a fluval Roma and today's the first day of cycling after adding 5kg of live rock.

Any tips on the scape would be welcome, I'm trying to have the main section to the right so I have a clear section opposite.

View attachment 80525

2. tomtucker

tomtucker Registered

it would be best to get your sand in, as to do this later my start another cycle and i would say more rock

3. PaulW

PaulW Registered

go taller with the scape.. looks to need anothe 5 kilos imo :)

4. PaulW

PaulW Registered

have a look at some of our tanks in the diary section to get an idea of scapes

5. gozzy

gozzy Registered

Wow, thanks for the quickest replies on any forum :)

The tanks got a few scratches so I've ordered a new tank which should be here in 2 weeks so ill be adding sand then, can't wait.

I'll take a look around for some more ideas, I like the idea of having less rock but not sure if this is possible without getting water quality issues :-/

6. jrob3rts

jrob3rts Registered

Rock is good :)
    If you look for a really good stuff, it's less dense so it doesn't cost as much and fills up well. Also need some flow around the rock, remember this is a key player as part of your filtration so good flow is what you need.
    What size is the tank? I would suggest around 10% rock to water. So if it's 100l, then look for around 10kg.

7. killi

killi Moderator & Jedi Master

:sign0016:

8. iQuatics UK

iQuatics UK Registered

Welcome :)

9. gozzy

gozzy Registered

The tank is 90l so I've added another 3 kg of live rock today and spent most of the day trying to rockscape :)

Im just not 100% happy with the layout, luckily neither myself or my wallet is in any rush to add anything more :-/
    View attachment 80682

10. Funkymonkey

Funkymonkey Registered

I like the bit on the right, not 100% on the branching stuck up even thou I have similar. It might look better with the branching sat horizontally coming off the structure on the right. I've explained that the best I can lol

Those bits sticking out then make good spots for sitting corals on, assuming you are adding corals

11. gozzy

gozzy Registered

I know exactly what you mean and it is the left side that annoys me most, no prizes for guessing what I'm doing tomorrow :);

12. gozzy

gozzy Registered

Ok, I think I'm more or less happy with it now but have a few questions........

In the pic I've just stuck the branching in the corner coz I can't seem to make it look any good :-( If I remove this I will have around 7kg of rock in my 90l tank which leaves me about 2 kg short of the recommended 1kg per 10 litres. How is this going to effect my tank as
    I really don't want any more rock, I'm trying for a minimal look? When I add live sand would this compensate for the minimal live rock?

Also when I add the sand I was thinking of using egg crates to set them on but would this cause me issues with detritus build up? Also rock first or sand I've read either is OK?

Thanks in advance

View attachment 80753

13. gozzy

gozzy Registered

I've just read someone making pads out of aquarium silicon so going to do that so any sand sifters will be happier. Also found out to do rock first then sand :)
    In other news I have my first hitch hikers :clap:
    I think I have 2 Nassarius Snails and 1Asterina Star which could be good or bad for future corals but most reports say they're good :thumbup1:

14. gozzy

gozzy Registered

15. gozzy

gozzy Registered

Well after the new aquarium I ordered had a load of scratches in I decided to keep the old tank (after a full refund) and finally add the sand.

I made some pressure pads for the rock out of aquarium silicon.

View attachment 83111

Here are the rocks on their new feet!

View attachment 83112

And the final results :)

View attachment 83113

16. bigguy

bigguy Registered

Nice What are your Plans On Stocking Its now a waiting game while it cycles :)

17. gozzy

gozzy Registered

This is one of three new hermit crabs, they were sold as algae eating crabs but I think they maybe jade hermits??!?

View attachment 83794

And now into the so called dirty phase, a few different types of algae and detritus.
    Nirates are now down to 2.5ppm and Phosphates at 0.2 so hopefully it will all settle soon :eek:

View attachment 83793

Still not sure on stocking but I do really want a watchman goby and pistol shrimp but after some reading up the shrimp seem to be a bit hit n miss :-(

18. PaulM

PaulM New Member Forum Support

Looking good but I'm sure the scape will change and develop over the next few weeks as they tend to do :lol:

19. gozzy

gozzy Registered

Don't say that my hands have shrunk from being in the tank so much ;-)

20. gozzy

gozzy Registered

Nearly 6 weeks old.........

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice