1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Moving From External Filter To Sump???

Discussion in 'Reefs' started by gozzy, Nov 14, 2017.

1. gozzy

gozzy Registered

Hi,

I've had my 90 litre tank for 2 years now which has been running with an external filter containing nitrate/phosphate reducing granules, filter sponge and a small amount of live rock.

I've recently bought a Red Sea 170 and am planning to by a protein skimmer and just run that initially. Will I be ok to just put what I have in the external filter into the sump without causing any issues?

I think the Red Sea 170 holds 130 litres in the main tank and I wont be adding anything new fish/coral wise until its all settled down so shouldn't affect the equilibrium too much.

Thanks in advance - A happy new sump owner :aaaaa:

2. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

That's pretty much what I did when I swapped from a filter to a sump and had no problems

gozzy likes this.
  3. gozzy

gozzy Registered

Excellent, thanks :)

4. jim_fitz

jim_fitz Admin Staff Member

Or you could put new / different media in the sump and run them side by side for a while, then switch the external off

gozzy likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice