1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Mo's Sumpless Salty Box

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks (31-100gal)' started by audia4, May 26, 2011.

1. audia4

audia4 Registered

Was going to be a sumped tank but ended up going for sumpless system due to time and effort involved, and that the tank is fitted and cant be moved.

Hey Guys, I've been doing a lot of reading and for the moment have been getting all my bits together and thought it was time to make a thread about my tank project.....ok heres some pics...

The whole room the tank is setup in..this is the office side...other side is gym.

[​IMG]

Inside space very tight behind the tank..

[​IMG]

Another tank shot...this was when I had cichlids for a few months.

[​IMG]

Ok, so far I have this lot as the equipment,

Deltec MC500 skimmer,
    D-D refractometer
    A series of Salifert test kits
    Red Sea coral pro salt
    Sicce voyager 4 pumps and wave maker...I will let you know how these are once have used them
    Rowaphos & Activated Carbon as media
    75pgd RO unit with tds meter

I have an external filter which I will be using for the rowaphos and carbon, an external inline heater will be hooked onto the external filter.

All comments welcome

Thanks for reading.

Mo.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  2. anguilla82

anguilla82 Registered

Re: Mo's Salty Box

well you've got the difficult bit done by already having holes for bulkheads.
    use a blade to remove the silicone around the extra bit of glass to remove it (how easy this will be depends on how well you fixed it down in the first place!!)
    2 holes - one for drain one for return.
    just get some perspex and make a box around your holes/bulkheads, and fit a weir comb around the top. all fixed to the glass with sealant.
    make sure its big enough so that you can put a durso at the top of your drain as this will help reduce the noise of your drain pipe once set up correctly. (loads of info on dursos on here and the wider net.)
    thats probably a good starter for ten

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  3. audia4

audia4 Registered

Just thought I'd add some pics of where I am so far...this is with the black acrylic now in place. I have also attached a piece of black acrylic to the MC500 skimmer, this is because I didn't want to place the plain black side of the skimmer forward, cos then this way I wouldnt be able to keep an eye on the bubbles and what is going on in the skimmer...so I placed a removable black piece over the clear side, so I can remove it and see whats going on when I want.

Glass has lots of water marks at the mo..will hopefully start filling with ro later today...live rock coming thursday, better get a move on!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Skimmer blends in nicely with the background :)
    [​IMG]

Temporary supports holding the skimmer in place...will be siliconing some aluminium support bars today or tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

4. Dan1

Dan1 Registered

Thats a great lookin tank. The rooms a work of art in its self aswell. I wouldnt be able to leave.
    I would just get a weir built then using a stanley blade remove the glass piece covering the holes.
    Make sure the weir is big enough to fit the bulk heads etc.

Dan

5. Neil

Neil Registered

So your not going with a sump now ?

6. audia4

audia4 Registered

Thanks for your kind words Dan...

Sorry for the confusion, I'm not going with a sump now. Maybe I should edit the first post and get rid of that bit about wanting a sump.

7. Dan1

Dan1 Registered

Oh right i see lol.
    Great lookin tank either way.

Dan

8. audia4

audia4 Registered

Thanks again Dan :)

I've made a little note at the start of the thread now, and changed the thread title also :)

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  9. audia4

audia4 Registered

Ok, so just a pic to show the tank is now filling with RO!!!! :clap: omg omg so exciting! lol.

Want to send out big thanks to Toby of LittleOcean for helping me along the way with getting my RO unit setup!! Thanks Dude! Could'nt have done it without you Big Thumbs Up

[​IMG]

10. LittleOcean

LittleOcean Registered

No probs mate you're welcome :)

Looking really good, looking forward to see how things progress :)

11. MaRiNe_MaDnEsS

MaRiNe_MaDnEsS Registered

Looking good, keep us updated

12. audia4

audia4 Registered

Not much to report, but have so far got about 3 inches of water in the tank..I have estimated that by 2pm Wednesday it should be full :-d Should give me enough time to salt and get it heated before the live rock goes in on thursday..right? Do I heat then add salt, or add salt and let it heat or it doesnt matter? I have spare heaters that I will plonk in there to get it heated faster. It should pretty much be at room temp anyway due to the slow fill, so should only need a little heating.

[​IMG]

13. Marine Life UK

Marine Life UK Registered

just get the salt in and then heat and move the water around via powerhead as to mix the salt within 24hrs it should be all good.

Great looking tank mate, think I would have sumped it though

14. audia4

audia4 Registered

Ok, so tank is half full now, and should be ready by tomorrow. Just need some advice about mixing in the salt.

I have calculated the tank to be 280 litres, and I'm using Red Sea Coral Pro salt, my tank will consist of some soft corals incl. zoas, mushies and rics. So I will be aiming for a salinity of 1.023, 33.0ppt as stated on the tub, and dose 36 grams per litre which works out at around 10kg of salt. Have I got this right?

Should I stick some heaters in the tank now/overnight to help get it up to temp as this will give me a head start i reckon..what temp do I need to aim for?

Thanks

Adrian, I wanted to have a sump, but it was too much effort and time invloved and I wanted to just get this thing going..so here I am :p, btw glad you like the tank...soon will have some corals in here from you on the open day :clap:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  15. audia4

audia4 Registered

Anyone got some advice please...

16. naca

naca Registered

hello mo,

yes heat the tank to around 25, then test you sg to get a true reading.

Big Thumbs Up

17. audia4

audia4 Registered

Hiya Steve, tank is almost up to temp, reading 21 so far. Going to mix in the salt soon, just another 2 inches of water left to fill. Whats the best way of putting salt in...start with less than actually needed and check sg, and if low then mix in some more?

Never done it before :rolleyes:

18. audia4

audia4 Registered

By the way, can anyone tell me, when should I place the skimmer in the tank? Should I start running it when the live rock goes in the tank or earlier?

19. Marine Life UK

Marine Life UK Registered

Hi I personally would run at 1.026 as this is ideal for most corals but id say 1.023 is too low tbh maybe go 1.024 if you are keen to run it lower.

If it were me id work out the amount of water in the tank and then add the salt (weighed out on scales) then place a powerhead in the tank and let it mix the salt that way. It wont do any harm as there is no livestock as yet.

Then 24hrs later test the salinity and add salt/ro if needed.

I wouldnt bother with the skimmer until you have a bio-load (when livestock is present).

I would however add phosphate remover from a early stage as it is easier to keep lower if you deal with it sooner rarther than later

20. audia4

audia4 Registered

Ok cool, thanks Adrian, needed that bit of advice! I will run it higher then as you have suggested, I was just going by what was on the tub. I'm going to pick up the live rock tomorrow so it should have a full 24hrs to mix, hopefully should be all good, fingers crossed. That would mean to run the skimmer once the live rock is in.

i will also get on the case, and get the external filter with the rowaphos and carbon running then.

Thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice