1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured more perminant way to make wier quieter??

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by warby, Sep 29, 2014.

1. warby

warby Registered

as above looking for some ideas on how to make my wier quieter...currently iv got a piece of sponge in there to dampen the fall of the water (18" from top of wier to bottom) as you can imagine it rather noisy when theres nothing in there but the sponge make it quieter.
    i keep having to take it out everyweek and reposition it as it falls down and the waterfall noise starts again. iv tried getting a pipe to fit inside and tried one over the top of the nut but then it starts gurgling.

looking for a more permanent solution

thanks

heres some pics to explain better:

side view with sponge in place
    WP_20140929_002.jpg

side view no sponge
    WP_20140929_003.jpg

close up of drain pipe
    WP_20140929_004.jpg

another of the drain pipe
    WP_20140929_005.jpg

top view of drain
    WP_20140929_007.jpg

2. AdyB

AdyB Registered

You need to get a piece of pipe and insert it in to that connector at the bottom of the wier. Cut the pipe just below the level of the weir comb (near the top) and your water no longer needs to fall all that way down :)

The size of pipe that you need will be the same size of pipe that you have solvent welded to the underside of that fitting in the picture.

Hope this helps..

3. warby

warby Registered

tryed that matey, it makes a gurgling noise which is more annoying then the water falling........and the pips isnt the same size both sides i think its an odd ball fitting the previous owner had laying around

4. AdyB

AdyB Registered

Do you have a ball valve on the underside? you adjust the valve (slowly) until the gurgling stops. Be careful with a single over flow though as you could end up flooding it. A twin stand pipe is much safer and quieter, but too late for your build now.

5. PaulW

PaulW Registered

as above you need a pipe in the wier

6. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

Mine has a single durso pipe in the wier and is very quiet, it looks like you may be tight for space but a couple of 45 degree bends at the bottom may be enough to bring the pipe up in the corner of the wier and make enough room for the fittings at the top.

7. andrewblueboy

andrewblueboy Registered

make one of these a durso durso2.jpg check coral culture for pipe work

8. warby

warby Registered

i would do but i cant get a pipe that fits the inside of the bulkhead and the outside is flush with the nut and is threaded.....the underneath is smooth with 1 1/2 spears u.s.a. pipe on it. ill try get something down to measure it and see if anything is near if so ill just whack a load of silicone around it if its not a good fit

9. AdyB

AdyB Registered

Don't use silicone as you may need to remove it occasionally. I would use ptfe tape to make it a snug fit.

10. Colin

Colin Registered

I would replace the whole pipe, tank connector and all to get something that would allow a stand pipe to be fitted

11. PaulW

PaulW Registered

me too tbh, ^

12. warby

warby Registered

Ok, I think the tank connector make be siliconed in inside the wier. What's the best way to get it loose? Then ill measure the hole and see what I can sort out as far as putting a durso in. What size pipe would you recommend tank size is 3ft x 2ft x 1.5ft and Flo rate is about 4000lph through the sump

13. sidney

sidney Registered

could you not get a bigger return pump then the water level will increase in the wier? saves a lot of faff with re-bulkheading.

14. Clearwater

Clearwater Registered

very hard to balance flow that way, the slightest change and you could have a flood, there is no emergency drain

15. warby

warby Registered

Tank connector is well and truly siliconed in. Took the nut off underneath and the bulkhead wont budge....so it looks like changing it is out of the question. Going to.measure the inside diameter of the bulk head and will post on here and see if anyone knows what size pipe would be best.....i measured the wier and its 100mm square with 1 1/2 American pipe(the o.d. Is close to 50mm) so I don't think id be able to put a durso in that small a space with that size of pipe.

16. Colin

Colin Registered

What diameter pipe is in it now? Could you convert it to the concentric twin standpipe but with a very low outer pipe as in what you have now?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice