1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Miracle Mud Area

Discussion in 'Filtration / ULNS' started by Colin, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Colin

Colin Registered

Just a question, would 40lbs of Miracle mud in 310 square inches be as effective as 40lbs in 400 square inches?

2. StarfishEnterprise

StarfishEnterprise Registered

Minium depth for mud is 1" the more compact the better so smaller area should be more effective iirc

3. Clearwater

Clearwater Registered

There are two distinct functions with MM

The denitrification needs 1" depth to create a lower anerobic area, no harm in going deeper

The other function is to leach trace elements, a larger surface area would be better in this case

I don't subscribe to the replacement, simply add to the depth

4. Colin

Colin Registered

I used to run MM on my Edge and it was good, currently I'm using Zeovite and that's good too but a bit pricey and quite hands on. I've a shoulder injury that's getting worse and I'm thinking of going back to mud to give my shoulder a rest. I've got an 800L system with 2 310 square inch compartments in the middle, I have a skimmer that I'm going to keep because I find it hard to believe just how much rubbish it pulls out, even if it's just for a few hours a day.

Do you think 310 square inches would do with the skimmer? I suppose at a push I could move the centre divider but I'd rather not unless I have to

5. Clearwater

Clearwater Registered

combined with Skimming yes it will be enough

6. Colin

Colin Registered

Nice one, I might just do that, I just need to think about the best way of swapping without screwing up. Ideally I'd not change the stones as the mud cycles but I don't have the space in the second most large compartment for the skimmer and the Zeo reactor. Maybe I could put the stones in a media sock or two during this time?

7. Clearwater

Clearwater Registered

Why not add the Zeolite to the MM

and use 1/2 dose of the ZeoBak to help mature it

8. Colin

Colin Registered

That's a thought but how exactly?

Add the stones and mix.
    Cover the stones.
    Half and half then remove and top up the mud.
    Put the stones on top of the mud and remove later?

9. Clearwater

Clearwater Registered

stones on the MM as they work in an Aerobic rather than Anaerobic environment

don't see the point id removal they can do no harm

10. Colin

Colin Registered

All right, I'll give that a go, I guess with time they will sink into the mud and disappear anyway, it's a good way of giving the mud a kick start.
    Cheers bud!

11. Colin

Colin Registered

Well, it turns out that the shoulder problem is actually a broken shoulder and some bone has got itself inside the joint. This will probably require an operation they say but not yet so they have strapped me up some which is restricting my movement even more. So I decided to run with the mud and have just ordered 40lbs and with luck I'll start next weekend to move over. I'm actually due this weekend to change over the stones but I think I'll leave it until next weekend. I've got a Phosban reactor I usually put carbon in, I think I'll fill that with fresh stones as well so there will be less of a shock to the system. Hopefully the 14 day of dosing Zeobak should also kick start the mud

12. Colin

Colin Registered

Well it's a done deal now, the mud went in today. I've put a fresh load of Zeolite in the phosban reactor lessen any side effects of the change. I'll not change those now but let them run out of steam gradually. I'll keep up with the Zeoback/food and start as normal for now (I've got loads of the stuff in) and then slowly back it off sometime in the future when the mud is established.

It's a bit cloudy in the sump at the moment, I've put a small pump in to recirculate within itself and started the skimmer up. It's clearing slowly hopefully in a couple of hours I can put the return pump back on

13. Clearwater

Clearwater Registered

I stuff filter floss in the baffels prior to the return, that helps a lot

14. Colin

Colin Registered

I've put some at the end of the temporary return I've rigged up, it's clearing quite well.I think I'll be able to put the return on low shortly, I'll put some in the last chamber before the return befor I do though, thanks :)

15. Colin

Colin Registered

Not a problem but an opinion would be welcome.

I finally stopped carbon dosing last week, nitrate was at 0.2 and phosphate at 0.02. About 24 hours after stopping dosing we noticed a haze in the water that lasted about 24 hours. Would this have been caused by bacteria die off in the water column as a result of lack of carbon?

16. Clearwater

Clearwater Registered

sounds like bacteria

I would add activated carbon to pull out the crap

17. Colin

Colin Registered

We have carbon running in a reactor, there wasn't any problems just looked hazey. I was dosing Zeostart which I guess is a little higher in carbon content than vodka, maybe that's why there was a lot of bacteria in the water? Ah well, cheers mate :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice