1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Metal halide....Which bulb??

Discussion in 'Equipment discussion' started by Venom181, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Venom181

Venom181 Registered

i foolishly unmounted my metal halide unit last night and left it unnatended in a room full of complete idiots....mainly myself. accidentaly it fell into my tank and the bulb shattered. i have no idea weahter the unit will work as it was half covered in salt water. im leaving it to dry out and am currently looking to buy a bulb for it. this is a rather confusing task as have looked arround and found many different variations. my unit is 250w

i need to know what im looking for to keep a reef happy. i have anemones and an elephants ear, clove polyp, frag of xenia fer other bits but im building up my reef.

what lumens would be best? what colour output?

2. Marine Life UK

Marine Life UK Registered

id try a iquatics bulb mate as the unit may well be screwed and 14k is a good choice. I run 14k BLVs myself as I like the quality of light and they are a nice colour

3. Venom181

Venom181 Registered

it is a screw fitting, the bulb was (originally) Massive biggest light bulb ive ever seen. i think from what ive read its an E40 fitting.

so im looking for at least 14000k (lumins or colour output?)

4. Marine Life UK

Marine Life UK Registered

14000k is the colour output.
    Not sure if iquatics do e40 type if they dont fastlight does

5. Venom181

Venom181 Registered

6. Venom181

Venom181 Registered

7. karnivor

karnivor Registered

Its also worth noting that we have genuine Coralvue and Reeflux lights on our site.

12-14k seems a good choice.

Tony.

8. Venom181

Venom181 Registered

Karnivor, whats the prices of yours? i havnt got alot of money to play with looking for something £20 or under atm

9. Inklinkerman

Inklinkerman Registered

I've had bulbs from iquatics before and I have today they are top rate. Fast delivery too.

10. Venom181

Venom181 Registered

need to get one ASAP as the only other light sources are my lounge light and a blue LED strip lol

my corals are not happy!! ive got other things i need to pay for so cant get a good one, might have to buy one of the £10 ones of ebay to tide them over till i can afford one....unless anyone has one theyve used i could borrow.

11. Venom181

Venom181 Registered

Actual Miracle happened yesterday/today (2:00am) was fiddling arround with the new tank and decided to strip the MH unit to dry it.....completed that. so i decided to be stupid and try the old bulb (which has no glass left on it pretty much) thought it wasn't going to work but took all the precautions, replaced the protective glass coverings and.....it works!! i am still going to replace it as i realize it could be dangerous but it gives me time to save up for a good one and not a pumphole version off ebay :D

12. rabbut

rabbut Registered

All I will say is that I wouldn't run a lamp in that condition, especially when it's been swimming. If they central core goes, metal vapours at about 10,000c or above will be released into the room, where they could do all sorts of damage to objects, or worse you and anyone who stays with you :eek:

The lamps with the reputation as the best, are the BLV's. Coralvue and Reeflux as Karnivore has mentioned also work very well :thumbup1:

13. marcus watts

marcus watts Registered

no way should you run a mh lamp with no glass left on the bulb - at the very least you may just steadily wipe out all the life in the tank with excessive uv levels - at worse you could damage you eyes, anyone elses eyes looking at it, or even increase the risk of skin cancer.

Also you'd run the risk of damaging your stock with unsuitable (cheap) new lamps - dig deep, buy the right tool for the job and go without much food for yourself for a week or two. I recieved new reeflux from tony -karnivor - last week and i'm very very happy. i see no need to use other brands again to be honest.

14. Venom181

Venom181 Registered

i did a little homework and decided not to run it. i was just surprised it worked after being in the drink haha. i ran it for about an hour after i found it was working then could smell a funky smell arround my tank so shut it off. if i see my corals suffering i will have to get some form of suitable lighting untill i can afford a bulb

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice