1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Melting mushrooms

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by clubber122, Dec 7, 2012.

1. jrob3rts

jrob3rts Registered

They should be calibrated from factory, but as with all things they can go a little out at times. You can get a solution for (at a guess £5-£10) but would just try it first.
    Try if on your tap water too so you can work out your rejection ratio through your RO if you wish.
    Also, if you test on water in a not so clean cup / container it'll give you a high reading. So fill container / cup, drain, fill, drain and go on for a few times then fill and test.

2. clubber122

clubber122 Registered

Ill try that thanks

Regards
    Sean

3. clubber122

clubber122 Registered

Okay, TDS on tap is 36ppm and TDS on RO is 0, should I do it in tank water??

Regards
    Sean

4. jrob3rts

jrob3rts Registered

Tank water will not give a TDS, second salt is added it's gone. That's very low from tap.

5. clubber122

clubber122 Registered

I stuck it in the tank to see and it read 870 x10

Regards
    Sean

6. slicker55

slicker55 Registered

No point clubber122 - the salt will send the reading through the roof.

36 TDS straight out the tap is very low (you may just be fortunate to have a water that is very favourable but for most, a reading of over 200 is not unusual. Mine is 224ppm). Couple this with the history of your RO unit, membrane and filters I would not have expected a 0 TDS on the RO output (permeate).

This would lead me to question whether the TDS meter is reliable.

I would get your LFS or a friend to re-test your RO water (permeate) to see if the TDS meter you're using is reliable.

Alternatively, take the TDS meter to your LFS and ask them to test it against their RO water.

7. jrob3rts

jrob3rts Registered

My tap water is approx 72 so other than being double it's not too different. Water is pretty clean up here.
    As for the tank reading, basically it's never going to be good. Mine reads Err or something like that because it's over 1000, or maybe 8700 in your case.

8. jrob3rts

jrob3rts Registered

It may not be inaccurate.
    If you consider a RO unit, if it's had fairly clean water going into it, then it'll have less to remove (as will the pre-filters) therefore it will last a lot longer.
    Clubber122. I'll see if I get a chance to test my Ammonia here from tap just to compare. I still think it should be zero.

9. clubber122

clubber122 Registered

Thanks that would be useful, I need to get my tank water re tested and verify my results

Regards
    Sean

10. clubber122

clubber122 Registered

Maybe we have the culprit for melting mushrooms, star fish ate my clam! Coral eaters too apparently?

Regards
    Sean

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice