1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Melting mushrooms

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by clubber122, Dec 7, 2012.

1. jrob3rts

jrob3rts Registered

Have you had a second opinion on the tests? Regardless of water quality, the test seems wrong.
    As for the RO, the best test is a TDS Meter. Do you have one?
    I'm not sure that if I tested my tap water if I would get those levels though.

2. slicker55

slicker55 Registered

Right, I'd contact [email protected] for further advice about the RO unit and filters but I suspect the damage was caused during the period it was not in use. The membrane will have dried out (not good) and the other filters will no doubt need replacing to.

Dear Santa!

3. jrob3rts

jrob3rts Registered

Not sure how accurate testing RO is. I think it can give dodgy results, so best to test ready for tank, i.e. with Salt.

4. clubber122

clubber122 Registered

Ill look in to that asap

Regards
    Sean

5. clubber122

clubber122 Registered

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355756395.626905.jpg

Clear with fresh

Regards
    Sean

6. PaulTys

PaulTys Registered

Few things, does your RO unit have DI resin too? If so you cant test it for anything reliably.

Second, even if your RO is not working, it would be very strange for ammonia to be in tap water.

Third, how old is the tank?

7. clubber122

clubber122 Registered

Yeah it has a DI pod on, I tested unsalted RO with my other nurtrafin fresh water test and it came back as 0, the tank has been up and running for about 7-8months

Regards
    Sean

8. PaulTys

PaulTys Registered

Yeah, you cant reliably test DI water, but as I say Id find it strange if ammonia was coming through your tap water, but you can always check your local levels online (go to your water provider website and it had to have all test levels by law).

Personally id buy a new set if test kits, salifert are normally pretty good and not too expensive. The results your getting just dont make sense.

9. ged@fishnochips

[email protected] Registered

Nope, but in the other thread, he / she has stated that there was slight ammonia, which tends to back up the fact that the ammonia has actually increased as it is definitely more prominent now.

There has to be a reason as to why the corals are suffering, and ammonia could be the culprit imo

The only real way is to replace the test kit or get someone else to test for it.

10. powerz

powerz Registered

ammonia in tap water there is not you put your ro to it and the test kit say there is ammonia when you mix the salt. one test is crap or the salt is crap to me i think it is the test kit.you can not test ro with test kits as ro as no ions in it and will not work. all test kit work with ions.

ammonia in the tank for some time. 1 coming from some thing dead in the tank. 2 bio filter not working as bio load is to high.3 ro water and salt mix not as good. 4 the test kit gaving a reading that is not right.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  11. PaulTys

PaulTys Registered

Ions, not irons. :lol: Just to clarify that its the De-ioniosing resin that removes the ions which test kit need to show the correct colour.

Admin I agree the ammonia could be causing the problem I just think its the test results are accurate there would be more problems.

12. powerz

powerz Registered

it was one off them lol:tongue: i put it right

13. slicker55

slicker55 Registered

clubber122,

Here's a suggestion...

Why not pop into your LFS with two water samples - one from the tank and the other a fresh salt mix made with water from your RO unit.

If you have a TDS meter, run the RO until you get either a 0 TDS or the lowest that you can achieve after say 30 minutes run time.

I would label each sample so as to ensure there is no confusion.

Request a full set of tests on each sample - no doubt there may be a charge but I think at this stage it would be worth it.

14. powerz

powerz Registered

yep thats the way to go how:smile:

15. jrob3rts

jrob3rts Registered

If you get stuck, pop down here (Mossley - I believe you are in Rochdale) and I'll dig out my TDS and Ammonia tests.

16. clubber122

clubber122 Registered

Thanks for the advise so far guys

Regards
    Sean

17. clubber122

clubber122 Registered

0.25ppm ammonia reading today

Regards
    Sean

18. clubber122

clubber122 Registered

Tap water also reading 0.25ppm ammonia

Regards
    Sean

19. jrob3rts

jrob3rts Registered

I think your test is fubarred.

20. clubber122

clubber122 Registered

I think it reads over, the tropic Marin test I used the other day also read ammonia just lower than my API test, so if my API is over reading and telling me 0.25ppm then by that logic it's less probably 0? In picking up a TDS meter later on off a friend for £10 do they need calibrating??

Regards
    Sean

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice