1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Melting mushrooms

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by clubber122, Dec 7, 2012.

1. clubber122

clubber122 Registered

The past week most of my mushrooms haven't been happy and I can't figure out why as all levels are spot on
    That is usually a huge purple mushroom
    [​IMG]

Couple of these furry mushrooms next to the green clip have melted and turn into brown stringy and the remaining ones mouths are open
    [​IMG]

Lps and sps seem fine?

Regards
    Sean

2. clubber122

clubber122 Registered

Anyone offer any help??

Regards
    Sean

3. jrob3rts

jrob3rts Registered

Hiya,
    What am I looking at in the first picture?
    As for the second picture, looks like brown fuzzy mushrooms to me, so let's go with the basics.

What are your parameters, and do you have tests before your last water change?
    Have you changed lighting recently?
    Do you run carbon?
    Anything else changed?

James

4. slicker55

slicker55 Registered

5. jrob3rts

jrob3rts Registered

6. slicker55

slicker55 Registered

The reason why I asked was that I have two separate mushroom colonies, one green and one red. The green were introduced on 10/11/12 and have never really opened as well as they were at the LFS. Ironically, the red were introduced on 24/11/12 and actually look better than they were at the LFS. They are both now on the sand in a moderate flow (20" below T5's) although the green one is slightly sheltered by overhanging rockwork. I feed daily with Red Sea Reef Energy A&B. Originally, the green one was higher up in the tank in a stronger flow but I decided to move it to see if it would improve any. They're seem to be quite mysterious things. If there's such a thing, I wonder what the ideal conditions are?

7. jrob3rts

jrob3rts Registered

Oddly enough. I found mine used to love low flow and shadowy areas. They just got bigger. If you moved them into an area of flow or too much light, they didn't seem to scratch out that much.

8. slicker55

slicker55 Registered

James,

Out of interest have you tried the Red Sea Reef Energy yet?

You mentioned 'target feeding' your mushies... what food mix do you use and how often?

Regards,

John

9. jrob3rts

jrob3rts Registered

I have not. It wasn't available (or least not at my localish LFS) when I had mushrooms. I was living in France at the time.
    Target feeding - Typical frozen food. So Mysis or similar (Had a red phyto kind of thing that went down well but no idea what it was called) and I also used AquaLabs LPS Paste.

Basically mushies will usually eat most things. Try it, see them fold over, pretty cool.

10. slicker55

slicker55 Registered

I picked my ears up when you mentioned target feeding them as I used to do this with anenomes that I've had in the past but hadn't thought to try it with the mushies. I suppose if I switch the circulation off for a short while and syringe some gooo over them. I wonder if I should spray the Reef Energy directly over them or do I need to find a suitable recipe?

11. clubber122

clubber122 Registered

Hmm didn't know you could feed them, the only thing that's changed I'd say is I've done more frequent water changes recently

Regards
    Sean

12. slicker55

slicker55 Registered

Sorry clubber122 - I feel like I've highjacked your post - however, James has provided some really interesting stuff which may help you too.

Do you have any ideas of your own as to why your mushies have melted?

13. clubber122

clubber122 Registered

Mentioning the Xenia made a light bulb ping, it's growing like wild fire and combined with frequent water changes I'd image the mushies have no food

Regards
    Sean

14. jrob3rts

jrob3rts Registered

Possibly. Mushues should survive on light alone, but if they have been having a healthy supply of food, then maybe a change is not beneficial. Just seems odd that it's limited to only a few and I would expect them to whither away if they were not happy, rather than melt.

15. clubber122

clubber122 Registered

Doesn't make sense, no idea what causes it but I know my starfish likes to eat then when there half melted

Regards
    Sean

16. slicker55

slicker55 Registered

Sean,

Have you considered moving the mushies to a different position in the tank. There may be some localised irritant upsetting them?

How long has the star fish been in the tank - could this be connected with the onset of the mushie problem?

17. clubber122

clubber122 Registered

The star fish was in before the mushies, I haven't considered moving them since they where thriving and really big, then they must started to melt and stuff and only furry have melted a couple of normal mush has jut closed up for about a week

Regards
    Sean

18. slicker55

slicker55 Registered

Sean - sorry but I can't understand what this sentence means?

19. slicker55

slicker55 Registered

Sean,

Also, you mentioned in your OP that all levels were spot on...

Would you mind clarifying when the water was last tested and post your latest test results please?

Regards,

John

20. clubber122

clubber122 Registered

Only furry mushrooms have actually melted a couple of normal mushrooms have just closed up for about a week

Regards
    Sean

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice