1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Mega Bommies - suspended display tank- Part 1

Discussion in 'Large Tanks (101gal+)' started by TigerIssey, Sep 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

If you have read Twin Bommies, you will be aware that I am upgrading that tank to a 6ft.

Here are my plans for that

Andrew is building the stand, it will be from a wooden frame and will be clad in 18mm MFC which he will get from work. The unit doors will be the matching colour Kitchen or bedroom doors on soft closure hinges. There will be a seperate unit at the side for an auto top off reservoir and electrics store with somewhere for me to keep utensils and test kits.

[​IMG]

Here is a rough sketch. The 1 drain from the tank will drain into the seahorse refugium but instead of being drilled at the side for this as in the picture, I will make a square pipework frame with pipework corners and drill holes into the piping to make a spray bar. This should cut down on noise and provide the all of the little flow the sea horses actually need. The second drain will go into the section of the sump that the protein skimmer is in. The first section of the sump on the right will drain into the sump tank on the left via pipework behind the sea horse tank. The sea horse section will not have a door on this will be open to view. The second sump section will have some chaeto lit on a reverse cycle to keep pH stable.

Well, the first hurdle to this project was my 55g South American freshwater tank. With that in place the decorating could not begin, also that is where the 6ft tank is going.

The first hurdle is now out of the way as the tank was moved to my mums house this afternoon.

Before Quite a while ago now, aquascape different)

[​IMG]

During

[​IMG]

After ish

[​IMG]

The room is a difficult room to decorate as the ceiling is vaulted to a height of approx 16ft. This means at a size of 24ft x 13ft, we need scaffolding in here in order to paint. The two end walls are being wallpapered in this paper

[​IMG]

(The background colour has come out strange on the pic and the flowers are more aubergine.)

The floor to go down is this

[​IMG]

a solid hard wood flooring.

The joists need to be rechecked before this can go down.

Step 1 complete.

Step 2 will be to decorate

Need to find the glass tank though, 6x2x2 or 6x1.5x2 (LxHxD).

It will not take long to build the unit as Andrew will have access to the machines at work, he works with kitchen unit MFC anyway, he will just do it after work and weekends. Should take no longer tha a week once he starts it.

2. northernmonkey

northernmonkey Registered

Re: Mega Bommies

Looking forward to seeing this one go together . I like the way you say it should take Andrew no more than a week ....................God give the man a break and stop cracking that whip :lol:

3. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

I had to put the whip down to take the photo NM. :-:eek:

We are now desperate to get the living room decorated, it was supposed to be done for last christmas. I have all the wallpaper and paint, the floor has been sat under the pool table and previously another table for the last 4 years.

Luckily his dad is here this weekend and he could get the works van, so it was done.

Catching 5 plecs (3 Bristlenose and 2 L260 Queen Arabesques) bare handed was an experience. My full grown angels were a nightmare. But that is now done and my mum is pleased as punch with the tank and fish and is panicking a little.

Andrews Boss built Aquariums and stands as a business before getting into kitchens, when Andrew dropped the van off, he gave him a few Marine fish tank books for to have a read of. Really nice of him that.

The stand should not take long at all, he built the last one in 4hrs at work (much smaller) so this should be ok at about a week. All sections will be edge banded on a machine too, therefore water will not get into the wood at all.

I will be cracking that whip to get the decorating on that side of the room done. I am fed up with staring at it.

Andrew clocked my Avatar last night, Never seen a grin so big in my life :-:eek:

4. Reefcubeboy

Reefcubeboy Registered

Wehay ..I feel a new tank build coming on..........

5. Kev

Kev Registered

Yep, looking forward to the build and seeing progess in piccies..

6. northernmonkey

northernmonkey Registered

2 L260 Queen Arabesques very nice plec's indeed :--

7. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

Not marine, but I know how you liked your freshwater NM.

Here are the pair of L260 I will be keeping and breeding to fund this here coral and salty addiction I have.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The male is HUGE compared to the female, they have formed a strong bond though, once in there own tank, which will be small enough to be easy to maintain, they should be great.

8. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

OK I did promise a piccie of my 55g Freshwater at moms. Now my mum has took this piccie so I am sorry about the quality.

She also failed to get any of the rest of the room in for comparison, but hey, she is not used to photographing fishtanks.

[​IMG]

I don't now have to do waterchanges and filter cleaning on this tank :))

9. Reefcubeboy

Reefcubeboy Registered

Those arabesques are stunners..my other fishie love here is cats !!
    Still got a galaxy and royal sultan plec here myself

10. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

Thanks RCB.

Always had a soft spot for Plecs myself.

Hand ctching was different though. My mum nearly had kittens, "get it back in the water quick", I neatly had my thumb over there heads, its amazing how once you do, they calm down completely.

11. Reefcubeboy

Reefcubeboy Registered

Royal sultan here croaks like a talking cat if you lift him out..a real character of a pleco..bit of a bully too though,lol...

12. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

Tank in situ at mums.

I mucked up the aquascaping a little by the look of it, but it was a bit cloudy when I did it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Totally Salty for the time being at home :))

13. Reefcubeboy

Reefcubeboy Registered

Looking great T...nice gift for yer mum there

14. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

Whhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

I have just bought a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft Tank

Thanks NM, it was one of the links you sent me a few weeks ago.

Guess how much I got it for £51 :)) :)) :))

::::-0000 ::::-0000 ::::-0000 ::::-0000 ::::-0000

15. kbekl

kbekl Registered

if this is 12mm glass expect it to be very very heavy i pick up a 5ftx2.5x2.5 tank and we managed to crack the front pannel

is this going to be used as the marine tank ? or freshy also was theirs used for marine/fresh, do you know if they have treated with copper for whitespot/ich in the tank

great find and great buy 6ft's seem to go cheap and 8ft's even cheaper think its to do with space tho lol

16. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

Been used as a reef tank. :))

Its upgrading to 6ft from my 55g set up with sump. :))

Salty all the way, the freshwater is now my mums :))

The other one is Twin Bommies btw.

17. Ben1987

Ben1987 Registered

:)) :)) :))

about time

you really will have to look after the other half after hes shifted that great lump of glass!

18. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

I was waiting for a bargain Ben. Patience is a skill my dear.

Do you not remember telling me that )-0

19. Ben1987

Ben1987 Registered

rings a bell. But that was more one of those do as i say not do as i do things. Im not one for waiting :-0

20. Fish Luke

Fish Luke Registered

The aquascaping in your mums tank is pretty good imo. Anyway congratulations on getting the new tank its gonna be awesome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice