1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Maturing Live Rock

Discussion in 'Reefs' started by oboe, Nov 20, 2017.

1. oboe

oboe Registered

It's been a while since I had a marine tank and I wanted to check if what I want to do is ok
    Basically we will have a 400 litre tank with another 120 tank running to mature live rock in before moving to the main tank hoping that means we can start stocking the main tank with fish before fully stocked with live rock
    Any advice would be appreciated

2. shady

shady Moderator Staff Member

That would depend on how much live rock you have in the main tank to start with, also bear in mind that every time you add new rock ( even if its mature ) you might get a little ammonia/nitrite/nitrate spike.

Cant you just put all the live rock in the main tank and wait ?? Also it would be easier to aquascape the tank with no fish in there that you will disturb every time you add new rock. Also territories between fish will change every time you add new rock causing stress to the fish

3. oboe

oboe Registered

At the moment I have none but will be putting about 10kg in then building from there

I don't have all the rock yet and wanted to spread the costs out plus try and avoid putting any nasty hitchhikers in the main tank

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice