1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Mark.A and Sheilas 6x2x2

Discussion in 'Large Tanks (101gal+)' started by Mark.A, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Mark.A

Mark.A Registered

Hi Tina, I'm not sure if there's one in the shop at the minute but ours will be going soon. I've finally managed to convince Sheila that it is going to be too big for our reef and it isn't really fair on the fish. Up to you if you want to try one but they grow quick and get very big. I reckon ours would be too big for our 6x2x2 within a year or so.

Temperament wise it's a gentle giant. The most placid fish in the tank. It just cruises the tank and ignores all the other fish.

Yes, you can use the pic if you want. [001_smile.gif]

2. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

That has answered my question in a way that I did not want. [016.gif] I had been drooling over that for a while now. [004.gif] What size did you introduce him at, and how long in total before outgrowing the tank??

I was hoping as yours is the same size as my new tank, I would get away with one, shame, its a stunning fish with a very nice temperement by the sounds of it.

Thanks for the use of the picture too [thumbup1.gif]

3. Mark.A

Mark.A Registered

Sheila was the one who wanted the Vlamingii in the first place and she wasn't happy about having to get rid of him but, IMO, sooner or later you will have to remove them if you only have a 6x2x2. He was about 3 inches when we got him and he's about 5.5 inches now. Another year and I can see him being about 10 inches.

There are plenty of reefers that only keep them until they're too big for their reef and then remove them, possibly replacing them with a new juvenile, but I just didn't want to be replacing fish every couple of years. You can certainly keep one in your new tank but not for the entirity of it's life. If you're okay with replacing it every couple of years then you shouldn't have any problems with one.

4. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

Mark, all I can say is that Sheila has very good taste in fish [001_wub.gif]

I am still thinking to be honest about I would like to stock. There are a couple of fish I seem to have fell in love with that would need to be rehomed after a couple of years and I am still debating with myself whether or not I should do that, or choose fish that I know will be able to be housed for the whole of their life.

I am a woman, and as sheila has done, I get very attached to my fish as I do with all my pets. On the other hand, I do know I can give them a good life for the time they would be with me, and it may be a way to get another upgrade when this happens. [024.gif]

5. Mark.A

Mark.A Registered

Like you say you really have two options - replace them when they get too big or get a bigger tank. If you think you'll be okay doing either of those then there's no reason not to get one.

6. Realist

Realist Registered

You coming on the day out Mark?

Would be good to meet you.

7. Mark.A

Mark.A Registered

It would be nice but I doubt it this time.

8. Realist

Realist Registered

No worries maybe next year or maybe for a pint at the trafford cntr meet on the 28th November.

9. c.argi

c.argi Registered

Thanks for the update and the photos! Both corals and fish are looking great, with a particular mention for the bicolour!! Looking forward to your next update [thumbup.gif]

10. Imperator

Imperator Registered

This tank set-up certainly gives us all something to aim at [drool.gif]

11. Mark.A

Mark.A Registered

Thanks for the comments everyone... [001_smile.gif]

12. Mark.A

Mark.A Registered

Sadly we are now closing the tank down. We came back from holiday a few days ago to a tank full of dead corals and some dead fish. Some of the fish were okay and a few of the corals but that was all. Whilst we were away the habistat that we had the 2 heaters plugged into stopped working and the heaters were left off. On top of that our central heating combi boiler had packed up just before we left and it was supposed to be being fixed whilst we were away but that got delayed due to the wrong part being sent. Anyway, the tank temp had dropped to 59F for about 3 days before it was found so I'm surprised that anything has survived. The whole thing has devastated us and we just can't bring ourselves to start the tank over. So it's going.

13. fieldy132

fieldy132 Registered

omg!!!!im so sorry...totally horrible thing to happen [012.gif]

14. diver 807

diver 807 Registered

very sorry to hear about your tank,it looked realy good,give yourself some time to get over the disapointment im sure you will start again.

15. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

Sorry to hear that Mark, its devastating. [041.gif] [041.gif]

Hope you and Sheila had good holiday [023.gif]

16. Mark.A

Mark.A Registered

Thanks everyone. We did have a good holiday thanks Tina, just a horrible return. We're managing to get over it now though and move on. We'll just put our energy into our other interests.

17. northernmonkey

northernmonkey Registered

So sorry to hear this mate I feel for the both of you . If there is any help you need when I get back from GOSH you only need to shout mate .

18. wackystarfish

wackystarfish Registered

Very nice pictures!

19. c.argi

c.argi Registered

So sorry to hear your news.... It was a beautiful aquarium and I can understand how much devastated you must be [sad.gif]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice