1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Mark.A and Sheilas 6x2x2

Discussion in 'Large Tanks (101gal+)' started by Mark.A, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Mark.A

Mark.A Registered

As promised Scott here's some recent pics of our reef. It's been a long time coming but I finally got around to taking some pics and have also managed to get them online! :eek:

These were taken a bit ago now, the very end of August, but it's taken me that long to find time to get them on our site. If you want the full history then you can check out older pics and updates on our reef blog. The system details are all on our reef blog site too.

Anyhoo, here you go...

First the bad stuff – We had quite a problem with our pH about a month or so back, due to us starting to use a calcium reactor and the resulting low pH. During this time we lost our Maxima clam. It started gaping and then was done for within a week. We have since managed to sort out the pH issues. As well as using the calcium reactor we now also dose Kalk with all our topoff water to help maintain an acceptable pH. The pH is still quite low though, it goes from 7.8 to 8.0 from morning till night. Apparently a low pH like this is okay so long as the Alk is maintained at a high level. We’ll see.

The other bad news was that we had a trio of Bangaii Cardinals not long after the last update, they looked fine, they were eating and appeared very healthy but they dropped dead one by one over three days. The really bad part was that our Lipstick Tang was infected with whatever had killed the Bangaii’s and he went from a stunning very fat fish to a horrible skeleton within 48 hrs. Needless to say we lost him. That was a big loss as he was a gorgeous fish and very tame. He would come to the side of the tank and give me a kiss. This was actually our own fault as we had the Bangaii’s straight into our tank without quarantine as they looked extremely healthy and were feeding and behaving normally. Lesson learned.

Now for the good news. We added an Algae Blenny not long after the last update, to help finish off the hair algae which did finally go. We added a 4 inch Vlamingi Tang to replace the Lipstick Tang that we lost. We have also added a gorgeous pair of Zebra Dartfish, a small Coral Beauty Angelfish and a large group of 9 Yellow-tail Damsels. The latest addition has been a 3.5 inch juvenile Chocolate Tang, which we’ve had for about a week now.

Coral wise we’ve also had some new additions. We’ve added quite a few Zoanthids, including a large mixed Zoanthid rock. Sheila finally managed to get a nice hairy mushroom rock (one of her favourite corals). We added a frag of Green Candy Cane and a frag of Hammer Coral. We added a couple more gorgonians, a small Purple Sea Rod frag and a large Purple Sea Plume. We also started on our SPS collection, we added a Horn Coral (Hydnophora exesa) and a small frag of Purple Montipora. The latest SPS coral addition has been one of my favourites, a Pink Birdsnest Coral (Seriatopora hystrix).

Here’s a full tank shot for you.

[​IMG]

You should be able to see there’s a lot of milliput around the rock where the bushy brown gorgonian is. We had an infestation of digitate hydroids that started to grow on the bottom of the gorgonian. We ended up removing the gorgonian and scrubbed the hydroids off it then removed it from the bit of rock it was on and re-attached it to a new piece of rock. We then covered up all the hydroids on the rock in the tank with milliput before putting the gorgonian back. It seems to have worked so far though the gorgonian wasn’t too happy about the whole experience it’s now slowly coming back to it’s former glory.

Some more shots of fish/corals.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The pic below is to show the Bryopsis that we still haven't got rid of yet, we'll keep trying though.

[​IMG]

2. Kev

Kev Registered

Tank looks superb mate. :))) Strange and a shame about the Bangaii's.

3. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

Sorry to hear about your losses.

That Vlamingi Tang is absolutely stunning ;_00

Look forward to more updates. :--

4. Reefcubeboy

Reefcubeboy Registered

Great pictures there of a stunning tank

5. northernmonkey

northernmonkey Registered

WOW !!!! That is a tank to be proud of mate :-- I can't wait to see it in the flesh one day :-D

6. wackystarfish

wackystarfish Registered

Thats amazing :) Must have taken totall dedication! Great work :D

7. gillyspot

gillyspot Registered

you've done a terrific job through difficult times. Tank is AMAZIN! :)))

8. Mark.A

Mark.A Registered

Thanks everyone! Scott I'm sure you'll get to see it before long. ;)

9. ian34

ian34 Registered

WOW that does look beautiful ;_00

10. Kev

Kev Registered

A yellow tailed blue damsel. About 23 years ago I got home as the proud owner of one of them. My very first marine fish after my reverse flow undergravel filter had just cycled! I still like them.

11. Mark.A

Mark.A Registered

Me too, they certainly add a lot of activity to the reef. :-D

12. swin

swin Registered

nice tank thanks for the pics
    think thats a must for a visit stunning
    ;_00

13. Mark.A

Mark.A Registered

Anytime swin. Scott's popping in to see it tomorrow! :lol:

14. ccuk

ccuk Registered

dont no how i missed this thread , just like to say it gives me something to aim for the tank looks mint!

15. fishmaduds

fishmaduds Registered

love this..cracking set up...............

16. northernmonkey

northernmonkey Registered

I see this tank yesterday and it has more in it since the pic's but all I can say is WOW :-- I could have sat for hours watching but the girls had other ideas :lol: Thanks for having us all around :-D

17. Mark.A

Mark.A Registered

Thanks for the comments everyone.

It was good having you here Scott, as we said yesterday - you and your family are welcome back anytime, hopefully you'll have a bit more time to chat next time. Mind I think we could have chatted all day, lol.

18. Kev

Kev Registered

I bet it did look great "in the flesh" too. Pics rarely do any system proper justice.

19. Mark.A

Mark.A Registered

Hey, it’s about time for another update so here you go!

Not much bad has happened since the last update – We did lose a Brittle star after raising our Magnesium to 2000+ to try and eradicate the Bryopsis but that’s about it really. Our pH has been stable, as has the Calcium and Alkalinity. We do have to keep an eye on our Calcium reactor because it keeps stopping from time to time. We really need a better one, will have to upgrade to a Korallin when we can afford it. We have also now removed the last of our Toadstool corals as it was hardly coming out. For some reason they haven’t done well in this tank. We think that they just do not agree with one of the other corals so felt it was best to remove it and just not keep Toadstools. There are plenty of other corals after all!

Also you may notice that one of the Korallia Magnum 7 pumps has gone missing. It just stopped the other day, no idea why. According to Hydor we’re the only people to return one of these pumps worldwide. So nice to be special! It was still under warranty (just!) and we’re just waiting for the new one to turn up now. As you can see we stuck an old Seio in there for now.

On the good side – We added a Bicolor Angel a couple of weeks ago and it’s doing great. It’s feeding well and not fighting too much with the Coral Beauty. They seem to be tolerating each other pretty well.

We’ve also had some more new coral additions. We’ve added even more Zoanthids, some White Xenia / Red Sea Pulse (Xenia umbellata), a Favites frag and an orange Chalice coral (Oxypora glabra). The Pink Birdsnest Coral (Seriatopora hystrix) is growing nicely and has turned a deeper pink, which is nice.

Here’s a full tank shot for you.

[​IMG]

…and a mixed bunch of photos for you. Sorry about the quality I didn’t have time to set up and do a proper shoot. One day I will get time!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

I hope I have this right at last, but I do like that Vlamingi Tang.

Am I right that you still have one in the shop??

What is it like with the other tangs you have??

Lastly, could I possibly use that piccie for the profiles?? That is a tang that does not yet have one [009.gif] flutter, flutter [005.gif]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice