1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured mandarin in pico ?

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by richard, Jun 12, 2011.

1. richard

richard Registered

I am just about to set up a 27ltr tank and am thinking about having a single fish.

I know that manderins require regular copeods to survive, but if I was to supply the manderin with them on a regular basis, by buying them and culturing them, would it be possible to have the manderin in this tank ?

Is it just making sure they have a constant supply of food, or is the space an issue ?

With this size tank it would also allow me to attempt to direct feed other food, and there would be no other fish to compete for food.

It is one of the smaller, green spotted ones that I am thinking about.

2. deb+wayne

deb+wayne Registered

i think 27l will be too small. you might get away with 50-60litres

3. MaRiNe_MaDnEsS

MaRiNe_MaDnEsS Registered

have a word with dragonets den, he/she may be able to offer some advice

(sorry dont know your gender)

4. 4head

4head Registered

Too small IMO.

5. Carlos

Carlos Registered

+1 way too small, if it's going in a smaller tank needs plenty of life before adding one, tbh I would even say a larger tank as well.

6. Marksfish

Marksfish Registered

I have a small female in a 10l at the moment, but I am training her to use a feeding den I got from Alex (Dragonets Den). I don't intend keeping her in there for much longer, but it does make it much easier to ensure they are feeding.

Mark

7. richard

richard Registered

Thats what i thought, in a small tank it would be easier to feed and keep an eye on it.

DO they require more space to swim about in then.

The reason I considered it in the first place was after reading an article on the net about keeping mandarins in tanks 5 gallon plus.

The guy has had one living in a 10g for 3 years, which is why I thought it might be possible.

Allot of people have small fish like gobbies ect in a tank of this size, do they just not need as much space as a mandarin ?

8. Neil

Neil Registered

mandarins are very funny feeders and require lots of pods (live food) so a very small tank would need supplement feeding daily as the natural level of pods in the tank will be very low

supplementing the tank with pods will mean growing your own or buying in pods

9. richard

richard Registered

I'm willing to buy or culture my own pods, infact thats part of the reason I want one.

10. Dragonets_Den

Dragonets_Den Registered

Hi Richard, Neil is right Mandarins are funny eaters, but not impossible to feed. With a bit of patients they can be trained. But with anything you have to be willing to go the whole way. Some mandarin dont take long to train, some take ages.

I think the tank size is fine. They are very small compact fish, the reason people say they need large tanks is because they require lots of live rock for food (copepods and the like that live in the live rock)

By that reasoning I should only have 1 mandarin in my 200lt tank, where as I have a pair of mandarin and a pair of scooters, but all of mine are trained to eat paste.

HTH
    Alex
    (ps I am a girl! :D)

11. Marksfish

Marksfish Registered

Mine is now happily feeding on spirulina loaded frozen brine shrimp (not very nutritional I know). She refuses point blank to feed on mysis, even when offered mixed with brine, she just ignores it. The reef paste is also ignored as is the krill gel my male loves in the main tank. Once a week, I will add some pods from my cultures just to supplement the feeding. I want her in my main tank in the next 2 weeks as I am going on holiday for a week and haven't got anyone that can spend the time with her feeding. I must confess to have hoped for her to be weaned by now as she has been in there 4 weeks already.

12. Dragonets_Den

Dragonets_Den Registered

13. 4head

4head Registered

But if you had kids you would not lock them in the cupboard under the sink and pour their food down the plug hole would you? I think people need to be realistic ,not on the feeding habits of the fish, but more the amount of space they have to swim round. Yes it would prob survive but do you really think its fair. Fish keeping is quite a cruel hobby anyway, where the fish go from the sea to tiny (in comparison) tanks.

14. Dragonets_Den

Dragonets_Den Registered

Yet we all do it. Surley, its about understanding the fish you have in your care? By your argument its better to keep mandarin in a bigger tank, yet the survival rate of mandarin regardless of the tank they are kept in is shocking, unless they are trained to take other food.
    Mandarin have been known to spawn in small tanks, and if they are not healthy and happy, this is not likely to happen.

15. Marksfish

Marksfish Registered

I'm trying different things Alex, she will eat eventually :). The stomach has definitely filled out from when in the shop, even on brine and occasional pods. Can't find oyster eggs for love nor money, even lobster eggs are difficult these days (used to use them for raising young discus and conditioning parents).

Mark

16. richard

richard Registered

But this is just like the tang issue, tangs need loads of space yet there kept in small tanks, is it right, probably not, but people still do it and the tangs seem happy enough.

If I didn't go for a manderin then it would be something like a clown gobly ect, I'm sure a clown goby would prefer a much larger tank, yet allot of people think there fin to keep in picos.

I've seen a pair of clowns in a 30ltr before, I consider that wrong myself but they lived in there for 3 years and always looked healthy.

I'm not saying that I'm 100% going to do it, i was just wondering if people thought it was possible, and like all marine questions there's allot of different opinions.

17. 4head

4head Registered

Yes we all do it . But I'm sure if you could ask 2 in a 25 litre tank and 2 in a 400 litre tank who where happier then I think we could all guess which would be happier. I have 2 manderins in a 8 foot tank and they are not trained to feed on anything .

18. 4head

4head Registered

Everyone is entitlied to their opinion and if you wanted to keep one in a pepsi bottle, there is nothing that we could say, that if you wanted could stop you. That in my opinion is the cruelty of this hobby.

19. richard

richard Registered

As anyone tried feeding Roe ?

20. richard

richard Registered

I am listening to your advice, but others are saying that that it will be okay, I wouldn't have even considered it if everyone had said no.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice