1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Mandarin Dragonet

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by damo666, Dec 20, 2018.

1. damo666

damo666 Registered

Hi all. First off, let me thank everyone who has offered me help and advice over the last year, and wish you all a very merry Christmas.
    I've been eyeing up a lovely mandarin dragonet in my lfs, it's been there an age and looks in excellent condition. I spoke with the owner a couple of weeks ago about it's requirements. He advised me that it needs plenty of live food and ideally a good supply of copepods available all the time for night time grazing. Any one kept one and are they as demanding as he has said? Reason I ask is that I can't find anything that I'd rather add to my collection now. Currently I have a 450ltr system, 2 black and white clowns, royal gramma, bicolour blenny, 5 spot goby, scooter blenny, coral beauty, fox face, yellow tang and a regal tang. Thanks

2. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

Yes they are, but aside of all you’re been told I wouldn’t add one to a tank containing a scooter blenny, :)

3. damo666

damo666 Registered

Oh, right OK. Nothing I've read mentions that clash, what's the reason for that? Always like to satisfy my curiosity. Thanks

4. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

They’re both competing for the same food (pods) so there’s a very good chance they will end up fighting.

5. damo666

damo666 Registered

Fair enough, thanks As mine is a fairly new setup only being 3 months old I'll leave the poor little thing where it is. I wasn't aware the scooter needed pods, had one in my previous tank for over 12 months. I'll look at getting a culture going to feed it regularly. I did add a substantial amount to my refugium 2 weeks ago, not sure if any are left.

6. jim_fitz

jim_fitz Admin Staff Member

i wouldnt put one in a tank less than a year old so that the natural food is blooming

damo666 likes this.
  7. shazants

shazants Registered

Unless you are willing to buy fresh pods each week from your local LFS!

8. Marksfish

Marksfish Registered

Culturing live pods is easy. Buy a culture, put in a take away container, split after a week into two cultures and then harvest alternately. Reproduction is a bit slower this time of year, but as lighter days approach the population will explode. Feed them on either phyto or a brown algae solution you can buy. After a year, mine would accept target feeding with mysis.

9. damo666

damo666 Registered

Thanks for your advice, much appreciated

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice