1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Malcolmfish First tank

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks (31-100gal)' started by MalcolmFish, Jan 4, 2016.

1. nodster

nodster Registered

[​IMG]

Marked them in red correct me if they aren't a green bubble if so just roll them a bit till they detach mate then remove them , may just be camera deceiving me

Yes you can use peppermint shrimp but a bit hit and miss , they will either eat it or not , just down to luck

Cyano may just be part of new tank syndrome you could try aiming power heads at it , or get red slime remover a product that works however will send your skimmer nuts , just follow the instructions and you will be fine

2. MalcolmFish

MalcolmFish Registered

Camera trip, just air bubbles. Moved slightly and gone. They appeared after the external filter cleaning and starting up (kicked out bubbes).

Aip X like the Red Sea one? Will do.

Power head aimed at the red cyano now. I'm pretty sure this is due to the lack of protein skimmer (being purchased) and the poo external filter keeping by me. Nitrates at 20 would explain this. Done a water change today and going to do another Saturday.

Learning as I go so really appreciate the help

3. nodster

nodster Registered

Yes mate red sea aip x smallest bottle you can find as you don't need much

Haha my eyes did decieve me Hysterical

Hopefully flow at red slime algae will help don't be surprised once that goes you get a different nuisance algae to take its place ie hair algae , just part of new tank and battle each as it happens , were all still learning to be fair it never ends , there is always something new

If it doesn't shift and you use red slime remover you must put an airstone in tank to oxygenate your water as the product reduces this level

4. MalcolmFish

MalcolmFish Registered

Hero help! I'll report as I go along!

5. MalcolmFish

MalcolmFish Registered

Stupid external filter! Worst decision given to me ever ha

6. nodster

nodster Registered

Ok mate let us now how you get on , external filters aren't bad its just keeping them clean and what you put in them to be fair , I know a fair few that use them , id say a skimmer is a must nowadays but still lots don't use them and go with refugiums instead , or both , that's the beauty of marine keeping lots of options to choose from

7. CEECH

CEECH Registered

As said above i would you Aip x i used this and have never had an issue since.
    The algae really depends on how long your lights are on , how much you feed your tank.
    You P04 levels can also effect this and N03.
    I see you asked about an overflow. I use the Tunze overflow box and am very happy with it. As said for a sump you can use an old tank and just silicone in an extra glass compartment or 2. I have 3 in mine. 1 for water in , a refugium in the other and the skimmer and return pump to the tank in the last. I also have my auto top off unit in there.
    I have some pictures on my thread. But i am sure you could buy a used sump or get one made pretty cheap :)
    The tank is looking good :) Royal gramma is a beautiful fish and very funny to watch the way it swims. Just make sure it is a royal gramma they sell you and not a dottyback as they look very simular. Dotty back are mean fish !

8. McPikie

McPikie Registered

Proper peppermint shrimps from Corals Direct in Warrington or Fishmans Frags in Eccles. They will eat aip

9. MalcolmFish

MalcolmFish Registered

Aiptasia-X bought today, will use today. Says just put some near it and spray so will do.

Deltec hang on skimmer purchased also to be delivered to help out.

10. Cestrian

Cestrian Registered

Damn i didn't know there was a coral supplier in Warrington. I literally could throw a brick at it from where i work now i know their address. Have you had good stock from them and are they open to the public? [MENTION=23672]MalcolmFish[/MENTION] sorry for jumping in on your thread. Nice start to the tank btw :)

11. MalcolmFish

MalcolmFish Registered

Anyway after a LFS telling me I had a royal gramma they actually gave me the below false gramma. Actually getting on well with the clowns and CUC. Swim round lots together and no arguments.

Also got this coral rock from Coral cabin, had a small star fish on it too!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Left of the rock at the bottom can see the star fish which has moved a bit on the rock.

12. Bob1888

Bob1888 Registered

Asterina starfish some people don't like them cause they can quickly reproduce and before you know it you've got loads

13. MalcolmFish

MalcolmFish Registered

Already run off and hid. I'll have to try and keep a track then. I'm sure there must be some form of creature that must eat them?

14. Bob1888

Bob1888 Registered

Harlequin shrimp

15. nodster

nodster Registered

As above says harlequin shrimp however don't buy one just for one starfish , mostly I don't find Astorina starfish not a problem there are some though that can eat corals , its only when you get plague proportions that id get a harlequin and to be honest once they've devoured them then you have to buy starfish to feed it with as its diet is only starfish , cool shrimp though

16. MalcolmFish

MalcolmFish Registered

Yeah ill wait and see how it goes.

Seen harlequin shrimp before and they do look funky!!

17. nodster

nodster Registered

You got it right leaving alone you will always get critters coming in on corals (if you don't dip them ) and live rock , how's tank doing so far you pleased with progress Big Thumbs Up

18. MalcolmFish

MalcolmFish Registered

Yeah loving it, waiting for my DELTEC hang on skimmer to come and then going to do away with the external filter. Not a fan of it. hoping this will help with lowing and maintaining lower levels. Weekly water changes are fine and easy. Generally happy, just want things to grow :) ha

19. nodster

nodster Registered

All sounds good mate deltec skimmers are quality yeah does take a bit of time for stuff to grow but once they do corals usually grow quick depending on which you have , especially green star polyps which you have

20. MalcolmFish

MalcolmFish Registered

is that what it is? I was told it was a mushroom. I liked it either way.

On the last pic in the bottom middle is a small pink see through coral too, not sure what. When fish go near it withdraws into its stalk!

Heard the Deltec skimmer is difficult to set up and potentially loud?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice