1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

LR seeding

Discussion in 'Filtration / ULNS' started by nigelk, Feb 4, 2014.

1. nigelk

nigelk Registered

I have about 40 -50 kilo's of LR in my DT which I am moving in to a temp tank whilst I redo my DT, I also have some LR prob about 20-30kilo's which were in other tanks which I havd some issues with WS nad other contanination ( not sure what it was but covoered on other threads). I have power washed this LR and its been out of water for a week or 2 so far and it will be another weekish that I will be ready to added to the other LR. The question is if I put it itne temp tank with the cycled LR how long will it take to seed and become live.
    I need this to pick the best pieces for my rescaping any small pieces left i will break up and add to my sump 1st chamber as rubble just for extra filtration

2. Matt@Epo

[email protected] Registered

There is no way of knowing how long it will take, or even when it has seeded. Bacteria multiplies pretty quickly given a food source. If i was doing it I would spike the temp tank with ammonia. This will kick start a mini cycle and will ensure the rock is ready to act as filtration when you finally add it to the redone DT. Simply adding some frozen food and allowing it to degrade in the temp tank should suffice. Just monitor the levels.

I wouldnt add rubble to the first section of the sump personally, there usually isnt enough flow in a sump to stop rubble becoming a nutrient sink

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice