1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Lost my box fish,lost Kole Tang (Updated 15thmay2010)

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by BigLarry, May 5, 2010.

1. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

Thats a Lancashire saying, and one of mine Rabbut [005.gif]

2. BigLarry

BigLarry Guest

OK Salt is at 1.016 and the push tonight is down to 1.009

Perhaps I'm going to slow, but I need to get this right.

Both qt fish feeding well today.

3. FISHWORLD

FISHWORLD Registered

Best of luck with it mate,I hope you are through the worst of it now with the fish.

Matthew.

4. BigLarry

BigLarry Guest

Cheers Matt.

On the positive side I have two tanks running now!

5. rabbut

rabbut Registered

Is that a permanent fixture, or is babs going to force a closure of one after the QT period? [032.gif] [011.gif]

Fingers crossed here for a quick cure [thumbup1.gif]

6. Ding Dang Doo

Ding Dang Doo Registered

I'm sure Barbara will make that decision! [lol.gif]

7. BigLarry

BigLarry Guest

Hopefully permanent in my little study. Not sure what to put in it yet though.. prolly just frags for swaps.

Both fish seem to be very active today and are eating well, even though the salt is down to 1.014 (still not at 1.009 yet!!)

8. c.argi

c.argi Registered

So sorry about your tang Larry but glad to hear the others are doing better. Fingers crossed all your hard work will be rewarded very soon. [thumbup1.gif]

9. BigLarry

BigLarry Guest

Have to take some positives from it in that I've learned a lot about White Spot (from reading and first hand experience) and so will hopefully be able to help others a bit more with it.

It's scary stuff in that it can completely wipe your stock out over just a couple of days.

I'm not out of the woods yet, but with all the fish in quarantine I stand a good chance of beating it.

10. c.argi

c.argi Registered

Fingers crossed Larry and it's great that you are being so positive and focussing on the learnings. Good on you!

11. KevinOD

KevinOD Registered

Its my turn with the WS now :(

just reading this thread for some inspiration really.

Im running my ozone right up at 350, got a big uv on the tank and feeding lots and lots.

Its been 2 days now and they dont look worse...or better either so ill see how they go and they go down the copper treatment :(

Ive got a small frag of zoas which im not too worried about as I can get them out, but ive got all my rock and a small pistol shrimp in there which id have to move out!!!!

Im just hoping the ozone and uv do their bit!!

12. rabbut

rabbut Registered

You are aware that using copper will make putting the shrimp and Zoas back into the tank a difficult task to do if you go that route aren't you Kevin? Copper will soak into the rockwork and silicone, making maintaining the correct levels of copper though treatment rather difficult. After treatment, the soaked in Copper will start to leach back out of the rockwork into the water column. [sad.gif]

A better bet if you go the copper route would be to remove the fish, not in inverts, as you avoid having Copper leaching back into the tank once your done [wink.gif]

Hows progress with you Larry. Are they cured yet? [032.gif]

13. BigLarry

BigLarry Guest

Im on holiday at the moment Kev and I´ve only got a 75litre qt tank running hyposalinity, when I get back if you´re still suffering I could perhaps take in some of your smaller stock to treat hypo if you´re struggling.

14. KevinOD

KevinOD Registered

Thanks larry, ill see how I get on.

Yeah I know its a bit awkward rabbut, I'd need to get all my rock out and keep it waiting for me new upgrade and maybe keep my pistol in a small tank with rock till the upgrade goes ahead.

The ozone has finally got upto 350 and seems stable now and the uv is in full swing on a commercial unit so hopefully it'll be ok.

What normally happens with it? I know the ozone at 350 should kill it, so would it kill the spot in the water/gravel first then the spot drop off the fish when its gone from the water or should it all go at once??

I'm wondering how long it needs to be left to have a fair chance at working properly?

My fish are all eating well and very active when I left this am, same as they always are

15. rabbut

rabbut Registered

Not sure with Ozone, but UV will only get parasites that physically pass though the unit. This basically means that UV will only get spot when it's just hatched out and is looking for a host. The rest of the time, spot isn't in the water column and hence cannot get into the unit and be killed [sad.gif]

16. KevinOD

KevinOD Registered

So is the UV a waste of time right now? I mean Ill keep it going for future but in this instance its too late right?

ON a more positive note, it looks a lot better tonight, my large cowfish and very small cubicus look to be clear now, along with all my tangs.

Im far from out of the water but looks better than last night.

Im slowly bringing my tank tempreature back down again too now as my fish were starting to look a little warm :)

17. BigLarry

BigLarry Guest

Being clear is just part of the cycle; it doesnt mean it´s gone.

It will return ¨´

18. rabbut

rabbut Registered

UV will get any parasites that pass though it. While it won't do a lot, it will help a little by reducing the numbers of Parasites that the fish are being attacked by. The only time I would run UV on a home system is when you have a flare-up [wink.gif] UV is only really a true waste of time if all you fish are healthy and have been for a long time, as good husbandry will be doing far more than the UV unit [thumbup1.gif]

19. KevinOD

KevinOD Registered

Well I've xome home tonight to a better looking tank, all my fish look clear now along with the water a little cooler so the fish don't look so hot anymore.

I've had ozone running at 350 for about 5 days now and the uv the same.

I'm hoping the ozone might be kicking into touch.

I saw something in a lfs on saturday saying they do water tests with swabs for ws?? I think its a fiver, anyone know anything about this?

20. CraigDouglas

CraigDouglas Registered

My Regal Tang started with whitespot on saturday and got worse on sunday. I had just added a copperband the week before and I added extra lights on Friday so it could just be stress?

I turned off the extra T5s and ran just a blue for a couple of days but coral started suffering so I've added a couple of the whites back on. I also turned the temp up to 27-28C and got a boxer shrimp (lost my last one 3 weeks ago due to copper from LFS).

So far it hasn't passed on to any other fish and the tang is still feeding well and very active. The whitespot seems to have resided a little but its still there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice