1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Lost my box fish,lost Kole Tang (Updated 15thmay2010)

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by BigLarry, May 5, 2010.

1. Ding Dang Doo

Ding Dang Doo Registered

Sounds like you've had a heavy night Larry... Amazing how the least expected allies emerge when they are most needed... Well done Barbara!

I'd leave the goby alone for now... If it survived everything that's been going on over the last few days, and it looks okay, then it would be a case of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' IMHO...

ATB

Pete

2. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

Sounds like you have been through the mill in the last few weeks Larry.

One piece of equipment I would recommend, even with the goby still in there is an ozone unit.

The Midland reefs one is a good unit, I have that one myself. It will strilize the water and it will help prevent diseases in future.

3. paddy33

paddy33 Copperband

the only problem i can see is your not actually leaving the tank fallow as such :(

4. BigLarry

BigLarry Guest

I agree Paddy, the fallowness I was hoping for probably isn't there, so even if I leave it 8 weeks it still may not be enough?

For now I'm just concentrating on getting the two I have caught feeding and will make a decision over the next few days.

"It's a climb..."

5. paddy33

paddy33 Copperband

id defo go with the ozone mate as Tina has said it should help keep the existing ws at bay

6. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

If you could get the goby out, you could ozone above 400mv, this would comletely clear the w/s or any other bacteria and / or parasites present.

You would not be able to go above 400mv if you had a fish in there though.

You could be sure were completely clear that way.

Alternatively, prolonged ozone with the Goby in there at a lower level will eventually clear any bacteria an / or parasites anyway.

I was sceptical of ozone, but I believe it has been a godsend for me with my tangs.

7. BigLarry

BigLarry Guest

If I went ozone at 400mv or perhaps lower with the Goby, how long would it take to clear? Is it months or weeks or days?

Thanks,

Larry.

8. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

Weeks, I would leave tank a month before adding stock back though.

Then of course, if you leave the ozone running, it will protect the stock from catching anything further. It will also stop spread if you then inadvertantly add a fish that has w/s or similar.

If you are starting to like tangs, as I have seen you drooling over a few lately, it is well worth the piece of mind that your stock will remain healthy.

If you just have the goby in the tank, I would also do some water changes where you are stirring the sand bed little by little. As parasites drop off the fish, or lay eggs, these congregate in the sand bed. If you allow these into the water column, they will then get processed by the ozone.

You also get greater water clarity combined with the UV and should not have any further w/s problems.

Since adding my ozone back in Jan, regardless of any additions, I have not even seen a stress spot on any of the tangs or even on any of the other fish. I did see stress spots or maybe w/s before hand, although luckily, I did not lose anything, may be the ozone, maybe that I would not have lost anything anyway, you just cannot be sure.

9. BigLarry

BigLarry Guest

Thanks Tina.

I'll have to look into ozone, although it will probably force me into skimming which I don't really want.

10. Realist

Realist Registered

You can run your ozone via and air pump and stone into your tank via an air uplift tube.

11. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

Yep, I run my ozone through my berlin skimmer, however if you took my skimmer out of the equation, I would use either the airlift tube or an air dryer and an airlift tube. The berlin skimmer of course uses an airpump and airstone to generate bubbles, you would just need an airpump. If I remember the conversation with Robin at Coventry Aquatics rightly, I think you can run the Midland Reefs without an air pump.

The air dryer after the ozone makes the ozone more efficient. You can also use them as well as skimmer to increase efficiency.

12. BigLarry

BigLarry Guest

Just a small update.

Got the QT down to 30ppt from 36ppt by slowly jugging in ro over the course of the day.

Both fish still alive this morning. Going to get them a plastic world warII bomber or similar today for a bit of stimulation.

Targeting 24ppt by the end of the day.

13. robb1977

robb1977 Moderator Staff Member

Hope everything works out mate, what frags did you lose? i may be able to sort out replacements.
    I would also go for a nice spitfire or pirate ship

14. BigLarry

BigLarry Guest

The names escape me but the tiny one from nevs with the bright illuminous spots on it has gone so we may need a trip back to Nev's if he still has some, also lost one of the stick ones was sort of bluey green ones.

One of the hysterix from Heller is gone but I've still got the one from killi so that's ok and the red monti from Mark is looking a bit glum after being upside down in the sand for a bit.

All in all nothing a good frag run won't put right!

I think Dave's aquarium may have an alien mothership on offer.

15. robb1977

robb1977 Moderator Staff Member

Will probabaly be the montipora hirsuta, i can sort you a piece of red plate.
    The mothership sounds cool, at this rate the fish wont want to go home

16. Realist

Realist Registered

I have a frag of montipora hirsuta ready to go here mate.

Dont forget the pics of the mothership [003.gif]

17. BigLarry

BigLarry Guest

Re: Lost my box fish,lost Kole Tang (Updated 16thmay2010)

Cheers Chris,

It's a stunning coral.

Mine was only tiny but still managed to look amazing.

Here's a video of the puffer, really just to show his fins and triple check its whitespot and nothing else.

[youtube:3sgplyan]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxZ0El5A5Fw[/youtube:3sgplyan]

18. rabbut

rabbut Registered

It probably is Whitespot, but it looks larger than normal. I think that is just pixelation on the video though [001_smile.gif]

Personally, I'd have tried to get the Goby into the QT system as well. This is because s/he will be allowing some WS parasites to host a fish and survive if left there, increasing the chances of re-infection when you move the cured fish back in with him/her [sad.gif]

19. BigLarry

BigLarry Guest

Goby trap is afoot rabs so fingers crossed. A bit worried how a Goby will cope in the QT though as I've no rockwork or substrate for him to go into - just an upside down terracotta platner :S

20. rabbut

rabbut Registered

It'll be reet

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice