1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Little bit of advice please?

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by Goldie, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Goldie

Goldie Registered

Hi all,

I appreciate the this thread has a non specific title, but its really a non specific problem I have ...bare with me?

My partner and I separated last year and our house is for sale. I have a large (6x3) marine tank - with mature tangs, a large fox face and clowns etc and live rock - its a sumped system.

I have a dilema....do I keep or sell the tank and contents?

To keep the tank will involve me, I think, replacing at least 1 voctech MP40 filters etc. I am torn and really want to come to a decision about it before I spend the kind of money that that will involve.

So my questions are

how easy is it for a relatively non experienced fish keeper such as myself to move a tank - anyone have experience of this?

Obviously, I don't know what the future holds with my accommodation so that's a worry - but conversely, how easy is it to sell a large setup like this - with a view particularly to the fact that the fish are all full size and have been used to lots of swimming room (it's in no way overstocked)...my concern is their welfare above the money, though that obviously has to play some part.

I accept that I am probably asking a question its impossible to answer - but thought I'd ask anyway, for any experienced views on my dilemma

Thanks in advance,

Gail

2. nodster

nodster Registered

Hi [MENTION=15271]Goldie[/MENTION] yes I see your dilemma not a easy choice to make , so do you sell up which wont give you half the money you spent on it , which also takes time to sell on also , inevitably you will set up again further down the road , once salty bug always salty bug so to speak .

On the other hand logistics of moving a tank that size is doable but hard work plenty on here have moved house and taken tank with them , suppose its down to your own preference

Its what you want really that's the deciding factor Big Thumbs Up

Not much help was I smiley-sex020

3. northernreefa

northernreefa Registered

You have to ultimately decide if you want to remain in the hobby or not, you have to ask yourself honestly will you have the time, inclination, dedication and the money to continue? Without sounding harsh unless full commitment is given the livestock will suffer, we all have nights where we can't be bothered and it sounds like your going through a traumatic time at the moment and for you and your livestocks welfare it maybe best to sell what you have at the moment...you can always start up again at a later date! Also was it you or your partner who undertook the bulk of the aquarium husbandry? If it was your partner it's one might steep learning curve you have in front of you...like I said before I don't mean to sound harsh, just realistic.

4. city1111

city1111 Registered

Big set up that ,for the easiness id sell all the livestock,tank etc and keep everything else as in rock pumps ,wave makers etc for your next set up ,if your wantin to setup again,and just keep the money to one side you get for your corals,fish tank etc,if your setting up again you could sell to the lfs for easiness and get credit to spend on your next set up if proving hard to move on.....1 moving it all quickly or in one day is goibgbto be a ballache and probably end up being between an 8hr-12+ hrs mission and getting people to move it with you,2 where ever your looking at for your next place you'll be buying or renting somewhere looking around that will actually fits 6x3 deep tank ,if was me I'd sell it all bar the rock and pumps,heaters etc you need for next set up,find your next place and buy a tank to fit where you want it either new or 2nd hand cheap enough,and save all the hassle to ? Just my pennies worth mate

5. Goldie

Goldie Registered

Thanks for the advice ....I guess it's what I suspected and really what I needed to hear - it's gonna be a big task and I shouldn't do it.

It is a real dilemma - I did the day to day stuff but when things have needed altered/ fiddled with / fixed or moved Andy was there to do it. My heart says to keep them (as I don't like the idea of them being stressed in the lfs or the unknown quantity of their new homes....or catching the buggers to get them there) but at the back of my head is the reality that it's not practical, esp if I need to find rented....bad enough with the 2 dogs lol.

One thing though - Wayne, you suggest keeping the rock - 1 have about 100kg live rock.....can I dry it out and store it? I will probs start with some sort of tank again but smaller if I do - our lfs buys in at I thin £3.50/£4 per kg and obviously its a lot more to buy ...so if I could keep and store some of it I guess that would make sense.

Thanks,
    Gail

6. city1111

city1111 Registered

Yes I would keep it as you say it's expensive people will buy it if your near someone who wants any or lfs would buy , what your keeping I would jet wash it off as soon as you take it out your tank to minimise the die off and stuff leaching out when you reset up ,it will be fine dried out and you know it will be pest free when you set back up and just reseed it and will be fine ,one less thing to buy when setting up as not cheap as you know ,store it in buckets or plastic container or even a bin etc

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

7. CEECH

CEECH Registered

Tough choice you have to make there for sure. You will really need to figure out where your new place will be. I once moved 18 tanks from 1 place i was renting to another. Mind you it was fresh water but dam it was allot to do. 3 x 720 litres tanks in 1 day was allot. If you have the mates and space i would keep the lot and move it. Otherwise as said sell the fish possibly put some adds on here might be better place than LFS and you may get a little extra money. As for equipment and rock and tank , if the tank is going to be too big then move it on if not i would keep it. If you are going to be single now you will have allot more free time ;-)

8. city1111

city1111 Registered

Behave your married now ......smiley-sex020Hysterical

9. CEECH

CEECH Registered

don't i know. I pay for it each day.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice