1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Leather Toadstool Coral

Discussion in 'Coral Information and Help' started by Sorted7, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Sorted7

Sorted7 Registered

Hi all, I have recently got leather toadstool coal in my tank. It’s doesn’t have its tenticals out and open all of the time, it leans to one side on the sand when it is closed up but when it’s open it is semi upright is this normal? Many thanks all

2. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

Yes sounds normal, they can and do relax at night, they are also known to sulk for long periods of time until they get well settled

3. Sorted7

Sorted7 Registered

Oh really, now it make sense. Can I ask what is the best position in a tank for them? I only have a small nano tank and at the moment it is still on the rock when got it but on the bottom of the tank with medium ish flow. I notice that when my conch comes out the coral closes. Shall I move it up off the ground or just leave it. Many thanks

4. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

Although a soft coral that doesn’t need a lot of light to survive given plenty of light they will thrive, they also like to be in decent flow as this helps them rid of the skin/ surface that they often shed, without reasonable flow they can suffocate so if you can get it higher up nearer the light and in better flow it will have the best chance.
    Once you’ve decided on placement the best thing you can do for it is to leave it bee to settle in, (which can sometimes seem like an age)

5. Sorted7

Sorted7 Registered

Thanks you so much for you help, I will reposition him in the morning and then leave him there that will then be my tank finished so I won’t have to desturb it again. Thanks again

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice