1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Juwel Stand Conversion for Sump

Discussion in 'Tank Mods & DIY' started by Hodgy_2k5, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Hodgy_2k5

Hodgy_2k5 Registered

Has anyone ever modified thier Juwel tank stand to be able to take a decent sized sump. I'm tempted to come away from external canisters and do things properly but unsure of the complicity. I also dont want to dismantle my tank if at all possible.

Previous idea was to put two 12"x15" tanks in the stand, one in each cupboard and either use an external to transfer the water between each one. Alternatively, I could drill the sides of each of the sump tanks and run a couple of large diameter pipes between them, keeping the water level constant.

Any help appriciated.

2. CEECH

CEECH Registered

no issues getting the water down with an overflow but the issue of having 2 sumps and transfering water from 1 to the other is if one pump fails you could be in big trouble. i have not seen any sumped jewel tanks

3. warby

warby Registered

if seen sumped jewel tanks but not with a twin sump.
    what you could do is run a large pipe between the 2 sumps. drain from tank into 1 sump flows to sump 2 the returns to tank. don't use a pump between the 2sumps otherwise it could empty it before it fills from the display if that makes sense?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

4. Hodgy_2k5

Hodgy_2k5 Registered

How would an over flow work, would the tank need to be drilled, essencially turning the overflow into a wear?

I've drawn a quick sketch, is this what you mean in refernce to running pipes between the two tanks?
    I thought if they were seperated into two sections I could have the inlet and outlet on the same side. Meaning the whater would empty from display tank into side 1, then it moves to side 2, comes forwards or backwards into the next section and then back across to side 1 and returned via a pump to the display tank.
    IMG_0897.jpg

5. cuprajake

cuprajake Registered

my 5ft jewel had a moded stand.

the person before me moved the door hole to the left.

i later drilled the tank after messing and wasting money with an over flow, i will say drill it once do it right. get a big enough overflow to start.

having said that. my tanks params didnt change one bit, and for all the messing i wish id just kept it on externals.

i didnt skim, had phos of 2 and nitrates of 50 and the tank grew great.

[​IMG]

i got talked into the sump is better and wish i hadnt on that tank.

you can put things in your filters like dynitrx etc

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice