1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Juwel Lido 200 led lighting

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by sarahsaltybox, Jul 2, 2017.

1. sarahsaltybox

sarahsaltybox Registered

hi fellow salty members

I have a juwel lido 200 that I am converting to marine. I would greatly appreciated some suggestion on led lighting please as it keeps giving me a massive headache trying to work out what would be best to use.

the led lighting must fit within the pre-existing hood of the aquarium, as I have parrots and past experience demonstrated to me open top is bad plan, as I regularly had to rescue parrots from the water.

I want corals in my aquariums so led must be able to sustain corals and encourage growth.

really appreciate any suggestion from people that are fair more knowledgeable about led lighting than I am.

Sarah

2. Phil077

Phil077 Registered

Lots of pics of what you have would be good. :)

3. sarahsaltybox

sarahsaltybox Registered

Hope these help, if not let me know what view you require. Thank you.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

4. Phil077

Phil077 Registered

I Take it there is a fuge at the back?
    Not familiar with this model

5. sarahsaltybox

sarahsaltybox Registered

6. Phil077

Phil077 Registered

So you have/need an external filter. your tank about 200ltr?

7. sarahsaltybox

sarahsaltybox Registered

the plan I have so far

external filter (FX6), will run empty, mainly there to increase water volume and to act as powerhead/water movement to help to sustain corals and prevent dead spots (2in1 job)

the lido 200 come with internal filter, which I will place suitable media in, also houses heater

for a skimmer I am looking at the tunze 9004 internal

I am usinig dried reef rock, I know this will take longer to cycle but this does not bother me.

my issue is lighting, I don't know whether to just got for T5 tubes suitable for sustaining corals or whether to buy a led unit of some kind and fit it to the hood.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  8. Phil077

Phil077 Registered

Sounds good. soon as for your media. as long as you are prepared to wait.
    That's good news. patience will pay off.

9. damo666

damo666 Registered

Check out Arcadia. They now produce T5 l.e.d. tubes in the correct size for jewel lighting rigs. Sadly no actinic yet, but the light spectrum on the daylight is very good.

10. sarahsaltybox

sarahsaltybox Registered

I have been hearing mixed opinions on these about whether they are good enough to sustain corals.

11. warby

warby Registered

I'm sure I posted a reply to this.......let me have a look for it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

12. warby

warby Registered

was on your other thread in the lighting section from yesterday......

welcome to tsb!
    first off I think your going to struggle to find a led unit you can put under the hood for 2 reasons. 1, the distance from the light to the water 2, led units use fans to cool them and without air circulation they will end up braking.
    why not look into a cover for the tank such as a diy mesh cover or maybe egg crate which will be a bit stronger so if the parrot does stand on it it won't brake/bend that way you can run pretty much what ever light you want.
    what type of corals are you planning on keeping? also what's the budget just to give us an idea?

13. sarahsaltybox

sarahsaltybox Registered

Hi thank you for the reply warby.

Think I might either have to stick to T5 or like you suggested come up with a new cover. Only issue with cover is I know you lose a certain amount of par.

My coral knowledge is not that great, so ideally lighting should be good enough for any type of coral.

Money wise ideally cheaper the better. Sounds bad but the cheaper it is the more likely my partner will allow me to get it.

Thank you Sarah

14. warby

warby Registered

the amount of par lost is negotiable. I have acrylic cover on my small tank and a mesh cover on my 5ft tank. you will be surprised at how little par you actually need to grow corals.
    soft corals-low light. lps-medium light sps-medium high light.
    have a look into the evergrow unit I run a 2120 on my 5ft and the 2060 on my smaller tank. there is a newer version of the ever grows which is the 5 series. they offer more control and better leds how ever both units 2 and 5 series will grow all corals providing your parameters are ok.

15. sarahsaltybox

sarahsaltybox Registered

thank you very much warby, just read up on the evergrow 2060 think it will fit the bill very nicely and does not cost to much either. now just need to find some Perspex to make a cover for the tank, don't want any parrots having a swim. lol.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  16. warby

warby Registered

you can buy acrylic sheet off eBay it's not that expensive......heres pics of both my tanks to give you an idea. 6mm acrylic on the rio 125 and acrylic square with fly screen mesh glued to it on the big one. I ended up making the legs for the smaller unit as it was one without legs so make sure you get one with kegs if you want to tank mount it. my big tank has t5's along side the leds if your wondering why it looks different to the other it2120's[​IMG][​IMG]

17. sarahsaltybox

sarahsaltybox Registered

you tanks looks really good. how long has your tanks been running.

My partner likes the lights you suggested especially when I told him what we would be saving on bulbs, let along the electricity. now the saving begins to buy the unit and my skimmer. hoping to get this tank filled with water in October for my birthday.

I looked into refugium after you mention them and I have found a hang-on one that come as a package with a tunze 9004 and heaters and with a led light. going to get that too as it will give more space inside the aquarium as well ever so slightly increase the water volume. I think fill day I will measure how much water actually goes into the aquarium to get 100% accurate water volume.

now the planning of what fish, inverts, corals, etc to having begins..

thank you so much for the help and advice.

18. warby

warby Registered

my small tank has been running about 12months ish. big tank is 21 months old. the lights are really good for the money yeah there are more expensive lights with app control but imo it's not needed.
    I would t worry too much about a fudge just get a decent skimmer like the tunze. I run the 9002 on my little tank great skimmer pulls alot of crud out. my small tank also runs an external filter with granular activated carbon rowaphos filter floss and ceramic media.
    here's the big tank from a weird angle lol.
    [​IMG]

19. sarahsaltybox

sarahsaltybox Registered

I am tempted with fuge because in means less equipment taking up room and being visible in the main tank because it can all be hidden away in there.

I hope my tank looks as good as yours within that time span. Properly won't because it will take me alot longer to cycle my tank.

Totally agree that there no point waste money, if a cheaper product will do the job sufficiently.

20. sarahsaltybox

sarahsaltybox Registered

Rock layout so far. [​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice