1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Is this white spot??

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by warby, Oct 25, 2015.

1. warby

warby Registered

Right need some more advice here......if i was to qt all fish in the system what size tanks would I need as bare minimum? Or if I could get another 2 tanks of a similar size (3 in total) would this be ok?
    Iv got a 125L tank in the garage
    Stock

Porcupine puffer 2-3inch (don't re-act well to copper.....thoughts on this one please?)
    Regal tang 4-5 inch
    Goldrim tang 2-3inches
    Magnificent foxface 2-3 inch
    Pair of clowns 1-2 inch
    Midas blenny + algae blenny both 3 inches ish
    Coral beauty 2-3inches
    4 chromis 2inch max.
    2 gobys 1 paired with a pistol.....what do I do with these as they hardly ever come out or if they do its at the back of the rock :(
    Cleaner wrasse 3inch
    Possum wrasse 2inch
    Six line wrasse 2inch.

I think that's it from the top of my head. Thanks in advance

2. Martyh

Martyh Registered

You will have to get the goby out and may involve a tear down of tank I've been there and sympathise with you :(

I would look on gumtree and buy a cheap big tank going with an external filter and put some rock rubble in the filter there is some right bargains to be had normally.

It's a pitty you not closer to me as my LFS has QT system that always runs copper for customers fish

3. warby

warby Registered

My lfs do run copper/treated tanks in the basement but they had 100 fish delivered on Wednesday so that's them full for 2 weeks or so.

4. Martyh

Martyh Registered

Ask them if they could possibly squeeze some in

5. cheryl84

cheryl84 Registered

Iv always given extra sea weed run uv and and extra cleaner shrimp always got rid of it for me never lost a fish to white spot b4 never treated them with meds aswell oh and I lower the lights if they do start rubbing against sand m rocks as this tends to stop them

6. Martyh

Martyh Registered

As I mentioned previously I'm fallow due to whitespot and as said I run UV and Ozone and also have 6 cleaner shrimp and a cleaner wrass.

I was feeding 6 frozen cubes a day , pellet , flake , Nori , Grazer that was all going in on a daily basis some also soaked with garlic guard so they was getting a banquet but sadly still lost some and they had to be moved into QT

7. Bluez_01

Bluez_01 Registered

I know this is going to sound crazy and all, but what about putting a UV tube over the tank for a few hours per day? rather than running the water through the UV, as that is only going to kill off the floating bits, not saying this will work, but if UV does kill off parasites and bacteria etc... then logically if its exposed to UV it will die? therefore a UV light over the tank being run for say an hour on 3 hours off, hour on, or something like that, may kill it off the fish? my only concern would be corals and or the fish and how they will react to the UV, I suppose you could mount it one end of the tank, and move the corals to the other end, and just drop some food in that end to get the fish over there in to the UV light, dose that up with garlic as well may be?

If you are facing a possible loss of fish, then maybe its worth a shot? I could be wrong on this, so don`t take it as gospel, but it suddenly crossed my mind as a possible chance of success?

8. Martyh

Martyh Registered

The issue you have is at depth the power from the UV will be minimal and the spores will be amongst the rocks as well there is no simple miracle cure if anyone does come up with one that 100% cures it in a reef tank they would be a millionaire overnight.

I'm sure if there was a cure ect then someone like TMC would of sussed it but on the other hand if no one was having tank wipeouts ect sales would drop of fish.

I'm not for one minute saying TMC has a cure and is hiding it they was just used as an example.

9. warby

warby Registered

The uv is only strong enough to to work at close range. Plus my leds have several uv chips as I found out when I started to feel a burning sensation on my hand lol.

Quick update all fish have lost the spots and arw still feeding really well. So for now they are staying in the dt but iv got all the stuff(or should have it by tomorrow) to remove and qt them if needed.

Video of them feeding....Looks to me like nothing is wrong with them at all lmao

https://youtu.be/16k5O_IykC8

10. Bluez_01

Bluez_01 Registered

100% cure... millionaire over night... Hmmm, need to start working on this I think.... Hysterical

As I said though, only an idea, didnt think it was one of my better ones, but thought I would throw it out there just in case....

11. warby

warby Registered

All ideas are appreciated :) wish there was a 100% reef safe that had a 100% success rate. It really wouldn't surprise me if someone did know of a way to get rid but the company has made him keep quiet so they can sell other potions that may or may not work.
    Horrible to think this but this is sometimes how things are.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice