1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Is this white spot??

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by warby, Oct 25, 2015.

1. warby

warby Registered

As above really. It's only on my regal at the minute.
    Thought a video would be better then a blurry picture.
    https://youtu.be/603piT6f7W8

2. tyger

tyger Registered

I not an expert, but would be concerned.

3. Martyh

Martyh Registered

Have you seen it flashing as in rubbing against rocks or sandbed

4. warby

warby Registered

Nope no flicking scratching eating like a pig as per. No change in behaviour that I can see

5. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

I would say so, my regal has had exactly the same spots twice, both times when I have moved him to different tanks. The first time he shook it off on his own but the second time it was much worse and most if not all the other fish caught it.

6. warby

warby Registered

Well it's spread! My puffer has it on its fins of all places??? None on his body. Also my foxface has got 2 white spots on its black bits.

7. frazzle121180

frazzle121180 Registered

Previous experience and I don't mean to be a doom monger...but if it is indeed WS you will be lucky to have them all still there by the start of November.

I hope you do...I really do bud but I've had 2 wipe outs thanks to WS and nothing I have tried cured any of my livestock

8. penzo

penzo Registered

Sorry pal.

9. warby

warby Registered

Missus is gutted her porky puffer has it aswell now :(

10. Martyh

Martyh Registered

You can't copper a puffer either in QT :(

11. warby

warby Registered

I don't have space for all the fish only got a 125L tank in the garage lol. At a push the regal could go in there alone but there's 3 of them with w.s. now :(

Just told my missus about the possibility of 3 moths fishless she isn't happy lol....but it is what it is

12. Martyh

Martyh Registered

I'm now coming upto my 12 weeks but I'm going 16 weeks

13. laubau

laubau Registered

I had the same problem as you with my regal and puffer too it really is disheartening but luckily i didnt suffer any losses. I started feeding food soaked in kent marine extreme garlic and installed a DD 20w UV within a few weeks no sign of whitespot. I dont know if it would have gone away itself or the combination of uv and garlic worked but i was really relieved i didnt suffer any losses. I still run the UV 24/7 and the whitespot has never returned. I know that garlic and UV are a bit controversial regarding the treatment of whitespot but it cant hurt to try can it?

14. Martyh

Martyh Registered

You was lucky I would say.

I run a 25w UV permanently as well as inject Ozone into my skimmer and I got WS sadly :(

15. warby

warby Registered

On further reading ozone should help but only at levels of around 450+ (i know bugger all about ozone apart from what iv read recently) some how it makes it harder for the w.s. parasite to stick to the fish don't know how why or what but there are several posts about this. Also poly lab medic does the same thing it basically raises your ozone level again from what iv been reading.

16. Martyh

Martyh Registered

Raises the ORP of the water is what it does :)

17. Enzogobby

Enzogobby Registered

Sorry to hear about this....Regal Tangs are repeat offenders with WS....I know they're pretty, Dory and all that; but unless one has a 500L tank, in general, why bother. Hopefully your fishes immune system can keep strong enough to fight it off...this is probably an old-reefer tale, but perhaps supplement garlic with their food; your LFS should have it. I would carry on feeding as normal, if not a little more and try keeping your hands out of the tank to minimise stress. Dont bother with any off-the-shelf reef safe WS medications; its all b0ll0x if it doesnt have copper, which you must NOT put in your DT tank.

18. warby

warby Registered

Tank is around 700L :)
    And yeah I'm skeptical about the "reef safe" meds but some people do have luck with them.
    My only other option is remove all fish to God knows where as they won't fit in 125L tank in the garage and treat with copper

19. Enzogobby

Enzogobby Registered

I knew your tank was bigger from the types of fish you got, thats why my point was put as "in general".....if you are friendly with your LFS, why dont younask them for help? Maybe they have a tank there that can hold your fish for treatment? Even if you have to pay a bit of rent, cant be more painful than seeing your fishies suffer and/or die and then the cost of re-stocking...

20. warby

warby Registered

I'm currently trawling the forums and auctions sites for another tank not bothered about condition to stick in the garage as a second qt (freebie would be good haha)
    And I'm very friendly with my lfs but there full at the minute they had just over 100 fish delivered on Wednesday and are in there qt tanks :(

Also need to hope the tank heaters will cope being in the garage over the winter!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice