1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Is This Cyano Algae And How Do I Get Rid Of It

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by Sorted7, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Sorted7

Sorted7 Registered

Hi, I have notice the last couple of day that I have got this red algae growing in certain places in my tank. Please can some one advise me on what to do. I have only been keeping marine fish for nearly a year no but only have a small 65lt nano tank with a hang on skimmer and one power head.

2x small clowns
    1x yellow wrasse
    1x cleaner shrimp
    And a few simple soft corals.

I have my own RO filter and do regular water changes and testing. All has been good with the testing etc but am in sure why this is starting to appear. What could be the cause and how do I treat this. Any help would be extremely greatful.
    Many thanks
    Dan

Attached Files:

2. jim_fitz

jim_fitz Admin Staff Member

Cyano was the first thing to come back after Chernobyl
    That gives you a clue how tough it came be to irradicate
    I did recently get my phosphorus levels down and it eventually went

I’m not sur if it was a coincidence or not
    Some say direct flow at it

3. shady

shady Moderator Staff Member

Cyano and/or dino - Syphon it out if possible otherwise it will blow around the tank and settle in other places as well

4. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

As above siphon it out when doing water changes and it should diminish in time. If it proves to be persistent you can use either chemiclean which I have used in the past with no ill affects and worked well or there is a product called antired but I have no experience of that.
    Have you changed anything? Lights or salt?

5. Sorted7

Sorted7 Registered

Hi, yes I’ve been blasting off the rock and syphoning out so will keep this up for few weeks and hopefully will sort it out, I have been advice to use the stuff you said chemiclean if it doesn’t clear after a month so fingers crossed.. funny you should ask about changes, I had brought a new light about 3months ago and also started mixing my own water about same time as brought my own RO filter. Do you think this could have been the cause?. Also when it comes to light what time/light/colour would you recommend?. Thanks you for your help.

6. doug_amanda

There’s nothing cyano seems to like better than a change of light but if you’ve had them for three months I would doubt that’s the cause,
    Having your lights on for no more than 8 -10 hrs a day at the blue end of the spectrum will help.

hotashes likes this.
  7. Sorted7

Sorted7 Registered

ok, I’ve just changed my light setting so it has the more blue spectrum during daylight, I have it on this from 3pm until 9.30pm then it changes to just blue light at 2%. Does this sound ok?. I have been told to turn all lights off during the night but am confused as get told so many different things. Sorry to keep asking advice but I am very greatful for all help as I’ve only been keeping marine for just under a year and want to get a bigger tank.

8. doug_amanda

No need to be sorry,, that’s what the forums for ;);)

That sounds ok, I doubt there’s many people have any light over they’re tank at night,, I don’t,
    But why do your lights only come on from 3pm?
    Mine come on at 8:30 am at 5% just blue and from 10:00am start ramping up until 1:00 when they reach 90% brightness, (blue and white)4:00pm start ramping down to 5% at 7:00pm just blue and go off completely at 10:00 pm.
    Hope that makes sense.

9. Sorted7

Sorted7 Registered

Sorry by that I meant that my light is on 2% blue light all night and start to turn to full white and blue at 3pm then starts to turn back down to just blue again at around 9.30pm.

10. doug_amanda

Personally I would turn them off completely through the night.

11. Sorted7

Sorted7 Registered

Ok I’ll take you advice. Once again many thanks for all your help. I’ll let you know how I get on

12. Sorted7

Sorted7 Registered

Hi, I just wanted to thank you. I used the chemiclean which I told you I had order and since talking to you I changed my lighting time and already I can see a big diffence. Many thanks

doug_amanda likes this.
  13. doug_amanda

Good to here things seem to be on the up :ARMS1::ARMS1::ARMS1:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice