1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Interesting title.

Discussion in 'General Chit Chat' started by Bluez_01, Aug 2, 2016.

?
  1. Clueless

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Beginner

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  3. Intermediate

13 vote(s)
    59.1%
  4. Expert

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. Professional

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Bluez_01

Bluez_01 Registered

So I was at work yesterday ( I work for a large super store in the marine section), and one of the customers requested that they speak to a "Professional" to one of my colleges, so they pointed them in my direction (As I am pretty much the only one with any knowledge really of marine systems).

Anyways, this got me thinking, I dont class myself as a "professional" by any means, so I was wondering what do you class yourself as...?
    Please be honest, in the poll, if you do class yourself as professional then please say so, its not a moral booster thing, I am just curious to see what members class themselves as when someone asks them.
    Big Thumbs Up

2. Eaval

Eaval Registered

a professional just means you make a living by doing it - doesnt make you an expert - and I would rank expert above professional any day ;)

I class myself as Intermediate overall.
    Some parts of the hobby I am more knowledgeable than others.

3. CEECH

CEECH Registered

Beginner for sure as i have allot to learn even though i can advise on some things there is a huge amount i still need to learn about and will most likely be learning for a very long time indeed :)

4. 372xp

372xp Registered

Maybe that should be a professional or a pro. Very few of us make a living out of reef keeping but a lot of us are 'pros'. I know a pro is just an abreviation of professional but they kinda mean different things.
    I am a pro with nuisance algae issues and most SPS, but a novice with softies and Intermediate with LPS. Semi pro with tangs.

5. warby

warby Registered

I'd probably go intermediate to be honest as I think got a decent all round knowlegde of the hobby

6. reefloat

reefloat Registered

none of the above - if i had to - 45 years in the hobby and still clueless smiley-sex020

7. CEECH

CEECH Registered

get out of that Gordo you are in a class of your own Inventor :)

8. Tuckersdaughter

Tuckersdaughter Registered

well see to me atm I would of said I am a beginner due to going from a soft coral tank to a lps, sps, tank and setting up calcium reactor I was clueless about but if I was still on a soft coral tank, I would say Intermediate.

9. 372xp

372xp Registered

So much modesty! We are all pros when it comes to our own tanks, other peoples are a different matter.

10. Bluez_01

Bluez_01 Registered

There will be a Twist to this at the end, and I think that will be more interesting to see the results than this one... Big Thumbs Up

11. penzo

penzo Registered

I'd say I'm intermediate,got quite a good knowledge, still got lots to learn.Just got into sps so still learning there.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  12. warby

warby Registered

You can't say that and leave it there we NEED to know the twist haha

sent from my s6 using Tapatalk!

13. killi

killi Moderator & Jedi Master

I would consider myself as a intermediate,after 40 years of fish keeping i'm still learning,

14. PaulW

PaulW Registered

Intermediate for me. I have a good general knowledge of marine but lack knowledge and experience in certain areas. Things change that quickly in this hobby it's hard for anyone to be an expert in all things marine

15. city1111

city1111 Registered

I'll go beginner for me ,some knowledge in some stuff but learning all about others still

16. Bluez_01

Bluez_01 Registered

[MENTION=20322]warby[/MENTION] Just waiting on a couple of the long time members to post and vote, but you know what its like, the longer they have been on here, the longer it takes for them to get around the site, (Hold the door open, have tea and biscuits ready, and put a sign up saying Bingo Today this way!)... Hysterical

17. warby

warby Registered

Hahaha yeah that's true!!

sent from my s6 using Tapatalk!

18. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

I would class myself as intermediate because I have a reasonable understanding of my own tank and its inhabitants. When it comes to others tanks and equipment particularly equipment I dont currently use, I would still class myself as beginner and in some cases,, clueless.

19. Andi

Andi Registered

I don't think many could call themselves experts to be honest. This hobby moves rapidly with new developments seemingly almost every day! Unless you have bottomless pockets you'll never be able to answer all the technical questions that may be asked. As for me, I class myself as intermediate, Ok with fishy stuff, ok with softies, ok with general stuff, LPS, I'm reasonable, SPS I'm fuggin' clueless!!!!!!!! I can't be ar*ed with keeping nutrient levels inside seemingly (to me anyway!!! lol) impossible boundaries! I've been keeping marines for more than 30yrs but still learn constantly. What happened to me recently is a for instance! I've genuinely never seen something like that before. To be honest sometimes in marines I think problems tend to be combinations of things that get out of hand.

20. CEECH

CEECH Registered

Who is the expert :) i see one vote for it :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice