1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

If Carlsberg did marine algae.

Discussion in 'Filtration / ULNS' started by les, Jun 14, 2017.

1. les

les Registered

Ulva intestinalis is easy to grow, fast growing, does not fragment as much as Cheato, hardy and can be grown in the sump or in an algae scrubber as I grow it. If any should find it's way into the DT most algae eating fish will soon devour it. I put some in my Gourmet grazer and most my fish love to eat it so we also get free food. In a few short weeks. With regards to results, I have seen my tanks NO3 drop from 25ppm to just 2ppm. Ulva intestinalis is found in just about all the oceans of the world from tropical to temperate seas. This algae is quite possibly the best algae to grow to reduce NO3. if there is a better algae for our needs then I have yet to encounter it.

:: Algaebase

Some of mine growing on the screen of my Atlantis ATS. This was all grown in 7 days and oj both sides of the screen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 372xp

372xp Registered

Mine just grows Spirulina and hair algae. Did the U.intestinalis grow on its own or did you seed it?

3. CEECH

CEECH Registered

If i could have hair algae in my fuge and not in my tank i would be well happy lol

4. les

les Registered

I asked the seller of my ATS if he would send me a small amount of it. I rubbed it hard over both sides of the screen and managed to poke a very small amount through the screen with a toothpick most of which I thought washed off when the water began to flow down the screen. However, it seems even the exceedingly small amounts of Ulva that stayed on the screen germinated and grew within notime at all, in fact, I harvestedsome in 10 days I think it was.

5. mgreenough

mgreenough Registered

Les, any chance of getting a bit of ulva from you when you next harvest it? I am happy to send you some dosh to cover p&p

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

6. les

les Registered

Can do. You don't need a lot at all to get it going.

7. mgreenough

mgreenough Registered

Cheers, pm me your email for paypal payment when you are ready to prune again and i will give you my address.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

8. les

les Registered

Another 7das and 338 grammes of algae harvested. When will this top out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice