1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured I think its skimmer time!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by Eltz21, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Eltz21

Eltz21 Registered

Hey
    I have had my river reef 94l running for 6 months without a skimmer. But I am ready to add more fish and corals. I have done some research on the use of a skimmer and decided I did not need one.
    What does a skimmer actually do? Is it worth getting one and if yes then can anyone recommend one to fit in one of the back chambers of my tank.
    Cheers

2. Whipitup

Whipitup Registered

A skimmer removes organic waste from your tank so IMO it's is worth getting one, but I cant recommend one as I don't know what will fit in the rear chamber on your tank.

3. Realist

Realist Registered

The V2 nano skimmer will fit in the rear chamber. However IMO nano skimmers are pretty useless, I would look at increasing the flow in your tank and ensuring you have regular water changes with a quality salt. This is far more effective than a tiny skimmer which will pull very little out.

4. richard

richard Registered

I think a Tunze 9002 might fit back there, not that mine is doing allot at the moment but that might be because I only have two fish.

Is your system running well without the skimmer ?

5. NJOgden

NJOgden Registered

I have the RR94 and have been running a V2 120 for some time now, i have found that it works a treat.

Note:

1) You will require the interpet modfied chamber wier gate which sits between chamber 2 & 3 (this can be obtained free of charge from interpet).
    2) For the V2 120 you will need to attach a piece of airtube c/w wooden air block to the air outlet located in the corner of the collection cup (just enough tube for the block to hang out of the rear of the tank). This modification will cut the noise of which this skimmer produces to nearly silent.

Once you have the above your sorted.

The wier gate is a must have for any River Reef Nano (Also fits the Resun Nano Models).

I will post some pics later.

Regards

6. Eltz21

Eltz21 Registered

Thanks for your replys.
    The tank has been running fine without a skimmer. I have a build up of algae on the glass but nothing unusual I dont think. And I scrap it regularly. I am planning on adding 2 more fish and some more corals.
    I carry out a weekly water change of around 10%.
    Neil- I have a 'sliding door' on the wall between chamber 2 and 3. Is this the weir gate you mentioned? Some pics would be very helpful tho. Thanks.

7. NJOgden

NJOgden Registered

That will be the one, on the earlier models they didnt have this and interpet provided the modification gate free of charge.
    This wier gate controls the flow of water entering the 3rd chamber so the skimmer cup is not submerged. You will need to alter it to suit the height of the postioned cup.

8. Eltz21

Eltz21 Registered

Right ok I undertand. Not too sure about the air stone tho. Haha.
    I have just looked at your tank. Very impressive. I really like your scapping!!
    I was told not to put rock touching the back or sides as it will stop me cleaning properly. Do you have rock along the side and back of the tank, if so how do you keep it clean. I will try to post a pic later to show you mine. I think its too late to move my rock or add any more anyway. Thats why I think I will go for more coral instead. Ha

9. NJOgden

NJOgden Registered

The rock runs along the back and then curves around to the front (both sides - Horseshoe style)

The rock does touch the back and sides in places as it uses this for support. if you have a good clean up crew they will keep the growth down.

I have access to most of the viewable glass so the rest is left to nature to deal with.

10. PaulM

PaulM New Member Forum Support

I'm running a 125 litre Boyu with only live rock rubble in the rear chambers and a 10-15% water change each week. No problems so far [thumbup.gif]

LFS claimed such a small skimmer was not much use unless I overstocked [thumbdown.gif]

11. Rob Long

Rob Long Registered

Hi, just a quick note,I run my 130D with no media at all in the rear chambers as media and or rubble just accumulated detris which was very difficult to maintaine and over time could cause problems.I've a canister with Rowaphos and carbon and an MCE 600 hanging on the back. I give it a 10% water change weekly and every 6 weeks I renew the media,the corals are growing like wildfire [011.gif]

12. marinemad73

marinemad73 Registered

[038.gif]

We ran a 175 litre tank without a skimmer, due to it's size and as we were doing bout 15% weekly water changes, we just didn't need one.

I'd save ya money, skimmers can also pull the good stuff out too [wink.gif]

13. rabbut

rabbut Registered

Well said that man, I totally agree [thumbup1.gif]

14. lcutting87

lcutting87 Registered

Well said that man, I totally agree [thumbup1.gif][/quote]

Me too had v2 120 nano and that was pant plus it sounded like a small train was in the hall!

Lee

15. Eltz21

Eltz21 Registered

Ok thanks for all your comments.

Mine is in the living room haha

So i think i will leave it for now and see how i get on as i continue my tank journey.....

Cheers

16. NJOgden

NJOgden Registered

Well as i said earlier if you dont do the mod to the air outlet you WILL get the glug! glug! glug! noise.
    Mine is also in the living room and the only sound you can hear is the fans!

So set the levels of the chambers right below the cup) and do the mod correctly your sorted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note the images above are without the airline mod.

17. Eltz21

Eltz21 Registered

Thanks neil. That makes much more sense now.

18. Randles

Randles Registered

I have a Tunze 9002 in my RR94 and its an awesome bit of kit [thumbup1.gif]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice