1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

How to set up your STC-1000 By Iceman80

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Carlos, Dec 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carlos

Carlos Registered

This Thread was Created By Iceman80

Here you go mate. A guide I done for another forum.....

This guide is for wiring only. Mounting the unit is up to you. It is recommended that the unit is mounted in an adaptable box to hide all the wiring and connections. I will be wiring my heaters and fan directly to the unit but you can easily wire a socket/s to the heating and cooling outputs so heaters and fans can be plugged in.

Some pics.

Firstly the wiring diagram (notice the live link between heating and cooling circuits).

[​IMG]

How it came.

[​IMG]

Close up of the unit.

[​IMG]

And everything in the box including the completely useless Chinese instructions.

[​IMG]

I'll update this thread in the next few days with pics of how I wired it and also I'll explain on how to setup the unit and programme it.

UPDATE-

unit mounted and connected.......

[​IMG]

Close up

[​IMG]

Fitted and powered up (yes that is my current tank temp!...and there's me going by the setting on the heater. 25 degrees).

[​IMG]

I'll explain in detail later about the wiring connections. Don't worry it looks more complicated than it actually is. The connector block isn't nessasary. I just done it that way so it's easier to disconnect whilst checking. NOTE- terminals on the unit are very fragile so best to extend all the wires into connectors like I have.

UPDATE - wiring in the controller.

Like I said earlier you don't need the connectors (apart from 1) but I found the terminals on the controller to be pretty weak so with the connectors I literally just extended the terminals away from the unit.
    Right, the small black wire in the pic going directly to the controller terminals is the sensor. This connects onto terminals 3/4 (doesn't matter which way round).
    Terminals 1/2 is your mains 230v. All you need for this is a 2 core flex with the brown wire going into terminal 1 and the blue into terminal 2. The blue wire is your neutral. When you connect up your heaters and fans onto the controller the blue (neutral) wire connects with the main neutral into terminal 2 also (all neutrals together). This is where it's handy to run a single wire from terminal 2 to a connector and them all your heaters and fan neutrals (blue) to the connector. The connector is there simply because you will struggle to get 3-4 wires (all the neutrals) in the terminal on the controller.
    Right onto the harder bit. The cooling and heating circuits have 2 terminals each. You need to link up one terminal from both the heating and cooling outputs to a permanent supply. This will provide power for the relays to switch between the heating and cooling circuits. So take a wire from the mains live terminal (1) to terminal 5 (heat common) an then a wire from terminal 5 to terminal 7. You should now have 2 links linking up terminals 1,5 and 7.
    Now your ready to connect up the heater/s and fan/s to the controller.
    Firstly if you haven't already, connect the blue wire from each heater and fan to the connector block with all the neutrals in (blue). Then connect the brown wire (live) from your heater/s to terminal 6, and the live (brown wire/s from your fan/s to terminal 8.
    So just to clarify, if you have 2 heaters connected you should have 2 brown wires together in terminal 6 and if you have 2 fans or a fan and a chiller then you should have the 2 brown wires together in terminal 8.

Terminals:

1- mains supply live (brown)
    2- mains supply neutral (blue)
    3/4- temperature sensor (submerge the other end).
    5- heating live supply (link from terminal 1)
    6- heating switched supply (connect brown wire from heater to this terminal).
    7- cooling live supply (link from terminal 5).
    8- cooling switched supply (connect brown wire from fan/chiller to this terminal).

You can wire a socket for each the heating and cooling circuit so the heaters and fans/chiller can be plugged in as normal.
    Simply get a socket outlet and a patress with some flex and connect the blue (neutral) to the connector block with the other neutrals and the brown to terminal 6 (if your plugging in heaters on the socket) and brown into terminal 8 (if your plugging in fans/chillers into the socket. You can wire a socket for both the heating and cooling circuits but don't use extension leads as the output terminals are only rated at 10 amps so won't cope with much more than 2 heaters and 2 fans (or 1 fan and chiller).

For the mains terminals (1/2) wire a plugtop on the other end of the flex an fit a 10amp fuse.

That's it basically. If you do wire directly to the controller as in the pic above then make sure you keep your plugtops that you've cut off the heaters/fans etc as its good to have a spare.

UPDATE- programming the STC-1000.

Firstly, there are 4 functions. F1, F2, F3 an F4.

F1- set the desired temp level. (mine is set to 25.5 degrees).
    F2- set the temperature variance. This basically gives the controller some leeway. (mine is set to 0.5 degrees).
    F3- set the compressor delay. This setting is mainly for commercial refrigeration setups so just set this to 0 minutes.
    F4- temp calibration value. Unless your heaters and fans are complete crap then set this to zero.

How to program:

First make sure the temp sensor is subsmerged in your sump/dt then power up the unit. It should give you the current temperature reading. (if it says 'err' it means you have not followed my wiring guide properly lol).
    Press and hold the 's' button for 3 seconds. The screen will display 'F1'. Press the 's' and up arrow button together until you reach your desired temp.
    Then jut press the up arrow an the screen will display 'F2'. Press the 's' and up arrow again to pic your desired variance and then press the up arrow on its own. Screen will now display 'F3'. Repeat the process ('s' and up arrow button) to reach desired compressor delay and then press up arrow to show F4. Then repeat process again to set desired calibration value. Once you have finished then press and release the standby button once to store your settings. NOTE - if no key has been pressed within 5 seconds of last pressed key the unit will switch back to normal operating screen and settings will be lost.
    When setting, you can use the down arrow and the 's' key together to go down to the desired setting.

In normal operating mode, press the up arrow once to display your stored set temperature and the down arrow to show your stored set variance.

Your STC-1000 is now set to your requirements and will switch automatically between heating and cooling to maintain your set temperature to within whatever degrees you set your temperature variance.

:good:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice