1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

How Long Do You Mix Water For?

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by Funkoid, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Funkoid

Funkoid Registered

I've recently picked up an AWC but am dubious at mixing for just a couple of hours, with or without a heater.

I've always mixed mine in a trug, heated for 24 hours using tropic marin pro reef? Wondering if I've been overdoing it all these years?

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

2. reefloat

reefloat Registered

its also dependant on the salt brand - some will mix sufficiently in less time and some will require more (more usually with the high calcium salts)

Funkoid likes this.
  3. Funkoid

Funkoid Registered

There any problem with leaving the pump on override for 12-24h?

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

4. reefloat

reefloat Registered

none at all, that was part of the intention of adding the override, the other was to speed up the empty

Funkoid likes this.
  5. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

Takes about three hours for me to mix just over 2kg of Aquaforest reef salt cold in an AWC 53 although I do drop a power head in the top rather than mixing it with the ATU

6. shazants

shazants Registered

When mixing salt I have always just added a small pump/powerhead and a small heater and just left if for a few hours until the salt had completely disolved .... never usually takes more than an hour for appox 50litres .... obviously if doing 800litres in the Display tank i just leave it for a day or two...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice