1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Hood for a red Sea reefer?

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by Richard150384, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Richard150384

Richard150384 Registered

Are there any kits available for making a hood for open top tanks? I've got a red Sea reefer 350, and as much as I like the open top, condensation in the house(and the mold on the walls) and the amount of top up required is getting a bit daft. I don't want to use a dehumidifier. What might complicate matters is that I use a evergrow it2120(4 foot) that comes right up to the edge of the glass. Any comments welcome ☺

2. Colin

Colin Registered

How about a glass cover sat on top with some glass stops on it to locate and stop sliding?

3. CEECH

CEECH Registered

4. Pezcadoazul

Pezcadoazul Registered

Richard, Did you solve your problem? I am about to buy the same system and plan to have an old-fashioned wood canopy constructed. It will leave about 8 inches of space above the water level and be open at the back so, as far as I am concerned, air exchange will be adequate. I don't understand why everyone wants open tops these days. I guess they don't have jumpers. I hear concerns about air/gas exchange but I believe that is largely addressed by the air introduced by a protein skimmer and don't really see how the old-fashioned open-back canopies are a problem to begin with unless one's system requires something other than LED lighting strips.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice