1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Hi, new to marine

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Fishpalace, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

Hi,

I am new to marine although I have had 2 small tropical tanks for about 3 years and decided last month to take the plunge. Read tonnes of stuff online and got the wide range of tanks down to 2, RSM C130 and Fluval Sea reef M90, 125 litres.

I went for the Fluval as the tank is long as opposed to cube, so a wider viewing area, and we preferred the stand and look, personal preference I know.

All set up and waiting for cycle to begin.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  2. chippypah

chippypah Registered

Hi and a warm welcome to the forum, I moved this post to the correct place,

3. reefloat

reefloat Registered

:sign0016:

4. microbius

microbius Registered

Salutations :taz:

5. diver 807

diver 807 Registered

:sign0016: to TSB.Big Thumbs Up

6. Hazey

Hazey Registered

HI & a warm welcome to TSB

Regards Dave

7. killi

killi Moderator & Jedi Master

:sign0016:

8. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

Thanks for your welcome, I will hopefully be posting pictures and start a chronicle of how my tank progresses

9. Mayo

Mayo Registered

Welcome to tsb

10. Whitey

Whitey Registered

Hello and welcome

11. Realist

Realist Registered

Welcome to the forum

12. Celtic_Martin

Celtic_Martin Registered

Welcome and good luck with the tank

13. Swizz1971

Swizz1971 Registered

Hi and welcome from a forum newcomer myself. Great that you've took the step to saltyness. I did the same two years ago and I've never looked back,this is so addictive and rewarding. Good luck ..

14. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

Thanks for welcome.

I have only 10 days in already and feel hooked.

Whilst waiting for tank to cycle I have bought 2 circulation pumps Vortech and Jebao so that I can test and compare both and hopefully make a you tube video. Should keep me busy for a few days.

What tank have you got?

15. Swizz1971

Swizz1971 Registered

Well I have a juwel trigon 190. And at the moment in the process of setting up a fluval Osaka 260. But I've got a lot to do before I can start. Ie need more items and some more live rock etc.
    can I ask how your cycling? With live rock/prawn/ammo etc. ?

16. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

You can

I have 10kg of LR and a 20lb of Live sand, with filter floss only. I have put a prawn in and decided not to add any chemicals.

It is slow and after 10 days the LR has come to life but no spike in Ammonia yet. A lot of people have an ammonia spike in first week but every tank is different and I am expecting cycle to take 4 to 6 weeks.

You can get starter packs to complete cycle in 21 days (Red Sea has a 21 days mature reef pack) but I have decided to let nature take it's course.

I have spoken to a number of LFS and read on line threads and the one thing that is consistent is be patient and do not rush this stage as if rushed you are more likely to have problems down the road.

I also have not run skimmer and not added carbon etc (I did but took out after 3 days) as this could slow cycle.

I also have upgraded stock Fluval circulation pump to a Vortech MP10 as pump makes too much noise and want to increase flow.

Hope this helps.

17. warby

warby Registered

Welcome to tsb.....and yes do take everything slowly with a marine tank. Don't just jump in and buy a fish that you like. If its a decent lfs they will hold it for you while you do some research and decide other wise it can be a pain if you need to get the fish out because it eats corals, bullies other tank mates e.t.c..

18. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

I must admit that I haven't even thought about the mix of fish beyond 2 x clown fish.

Want to get tank stable then choose mix of cuc and then think fish and coral mix.

Looking forward to that but a few weeks away.

19. Swizz1971

Swizz1971 Registered

I have 10kg of LR and a 20lb of Live sand, with filter floss only. I have put a prawn in and decided not to add any chemicals.

It is slow and after 10 days the LR has come to life but no spike in Ammonia yet. A lot of people have an ammonia spike in first week but every tank is different and I am expecting cycle to take 4 to 6 weeks.

You can get starter packs to complete cycle in 21 days (Red Sea has a 21 days mature reef pack) but I have decided to let nature take it's course.

I have spoken to a number of LFS and read on line threads and the one thing that is consistent is be patient and do not rush this stage as if rushed you are more likely to have problems down the road.

I also have not run skimmer and not added carbon etc (I did but took out after 3 days) as this could slow cycle.

I also have upgraded stock Fluval circulation pump to a Vortech MP10 as pump makes too much noise and want to increase flow.

You look to be doing everything correctly so far. As with the ammonia spike,they may never be one,as they may never be a real cycle in your tank because of the liverock and sand you put in there...when I set my first marine up 2 years ago,I waited and waited for the spike in ammonia,and it never came,in fact I never really had a cycle so to speak my tank was more or less ready from the off,due to the high amount of liverock I started out with..That's not to say yours is ready ofcourse, but I reckon you won't have to wait too long before adding cuc etc...Good luck buddy.
    Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]

20. Swizz1971

Swizz1971 Registered

Sorry don't know why my reply ended up like that lol. See above post.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice