1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Hermit Crabs Changing Shells

Discussion in 'Fish, Anemone's and Critters' started by Sorted7, May 13, 2018.

1. Sorted7

Sorted7 Registered

Hi all, I am fairly new to marine fish keeping and have started with a small 65ltr tank, all is going very well but I was just wondering about my hermit crab. I got 4 when the tank was first started and they are all still alive, I put in a couple of larger shells into the tank to see if they would move in, only one did and is getting bigger but the others have not and are still in there small shells. Is this normal or is there anything I can do to encourage them.

2. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

Perfectly normal and nothing to worry about, it’s good that they have shells to move into if they wish.
    I’ve got hermits that have stayed in the same shell for well over a year despite having loads of empty shells in the tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice