1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Help With Ich

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by Sorted7, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Sorted7

Sorted7 Registered

i got a sample blue tang about a week ago and yesterday I noticed small white spots on it, I believe it is ich. Today I have noticed spots on my fire wrasse! Has anyone used spots and velvets salt? Please help and advice need.

2. dj23bol

dj23bol Registered

The last time I had white spot in one of my old tanks I just kept The fish pretty well fed, plenty of variety and nori and I never had any losses, i think Aslong as you keep extra stress to a minimum and keep your hands out of the tank as much as you can they should see it through

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

3. Sorted7

Sorted7 Registered

I will give this ago and hopefully it gets better soon. Thanks for your advice

4. jim_fitz

jim_fitz Admin Staff Member

debate as to whether or not garlic actually helps
    but maybe worth a try

is it being bullied at all ?

5. dj23bol

dj23bol Registered

Garlic is a super touchy subject when it comes to ich haha

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

6. Sorted7

Sorted7 Registered

I’ve done so much reading up and I wasn’t sure where to start. I’ve heard about the garlic so will give it go. I’ve started with spots and velvets salt prodibio (has anyone tried this) 9day treatment which is reef friendly, I’m on the 3rd day now and the spots on both fish aren’t what I’d say white spots now, more like colourless bumps.. The two fish in question have been behaving perfectly normal, not being picked on and eating fine. And it doesn’t seem to have gone on my clowns, Just hope this works.

7. jim_fitz

jim_fitz Admin Staff Member

Fingers crossed

8. Sorted7

Sorted7 Registered

Hi, latest up date on the ich situation. Right so I started with trying spots and velvet salts 6 vial 9day treatment. I am now on day 5, I have added 4 vial as and when instructed. I have followed instruction to the T!. And by the 3rd day I could honestly say I could see a difference with the spots on the small regal tang and its behaviour, and the rest of the tank was looking very good as normal and all feeding very well. I have just came home from work today and added the the 4th vial but the small blue tang is know where to be seen! I have been watching my tank for 45min now and still nothing, I reckon it has died and the crabs have had there fill. I have also just spotted my larger clown fish rubbing his head on the weir, only done it once tho. Am I over thinking or has the ich got to him now as well.

9. FmJames

FmJames Fish Health Advisor

Hi

4 days is about right for a small fish to be overwhelmed by marine ich, specially if you have a aggressive strain. The only way to treat marine ich apart from leave alone and hope for the best and garlic which is is old folks tales is to remove all fish to quarantine tank and treat with either hyposalinity or copper. There are few other treatments but I don't like them. Apart from copper anything over the counter in my experience does not work

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice