1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Help needed

Discussion in 'Fish, Anemone's and Critters' started by Milnec, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Milnec

Milnec Registered

Hi chaps

Need advise please. lost my coral beauty last Friday which was really unexpected as he seemed fine Thursday night. Then I lost my yellow tang on Monday and now 1 of my chromis had died. Had the water checked and all is fine so I'm baffled. Worried now for the rest of my fish.

2. Realist

Realist Registered

Have you added anything of late?

3. Milnec

Milnec Registered

Hiya. Not added anything to the tank. Only thing I have put in is algea seaweed.

4. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

Any chance of a bit more info on your tank, what size, how long it's been running, what fish you have and what the test results were?

5. penzo

penzo Registered

Any marks or anything visible on the fish?

6. Milnec

Milnec Registered

I have a aqua one 195 l8tr tank. It's been running now for about 8 weeks. There are 2 firefish. 2 clounfish. 3 chromis and a wrasse. Pluss 1 shrimp. Still a bit nieave to the water testing to be honest. I all ways take a sample to my local marine shop.

7. Milnec

Milnec Registered

One of the clounfish looks a bit white / flake and only using 1 fin a lot of the time.

8. Milnec

Milnec Registered

9. doug_amanda

Without wanting to be the bearer of bad news that is one poorly fish, white spot or possibly velvet,
    I would suspect it's probably too late for the clown looking at it (hopefully I'm wrong) but the rest of the fish need treating, there's every chance the rest of them will be infected,, do you have a quarantine tank?

Afonso likes this.
  10. Milnec

Milnec Registered

Oh bugger. No I don't have a quarantine tank. Is there anything I can treat this with?

11. steve861uk

steve861uk Registered

If it's ich/velvet then chances are your whole tank will be infected. As it is a relatively new setup I'd offload any inverts you have and ask your lfs to provide you with some good stuff to fight the problem (i.e. treat the whole tank and add no more fish for at least 3 weeks, or inverts until the treatment period has expired and you've done a few water changes).

If you do loose all of your fish (and I hope you don't) then just run the tank without any for a couple months before slowly adding some more (this will give time for the free swimming parasites to die off).

Some of the more experienced members on here (@warby, [MENTION=20021]penzo[/MENTION], [MENTION=17165]les[/MENTION], [MENTION=17767]Realist[/MENTION], etc..) can no doubt recommend a product to use.

Good luck.

12. steve861uk

steve861uk Registered

If it's ich/velvet then chances are your whole tank will be infected. As it is a relatively new setup I'd offload any inverts you have and ask your lfs to provide you with some good stuff to fight the problem (i.e. treat the whole tank and add no more fish for at least 3 weeks, or inverts until the treatment period has expired and you've done a few water changes).

If you do loose all of your fish (and I hope you don't) then just run the tank without any for a couple months before slowly adding some more (this will give time for the free swimming parasites to die off).

Some of the more experienced members on here (@warby, [MENTION=20021]penzo[/MENTION], [MENTION=17165]les[/MENTION], [MENTION=17767]Realist[/MENTION], etc..) can no doubt recommend a product to use.

Good luck.

13. steve861uk

steve861uk Registered

Oooopsie! Duplicate post having just encountered server error smiley-sex020 [MENTION=17767]Realist[/MENTION] please help :whistling:

14. penzo

penzo Registered

I'd find space for a QT,where are you?,do you not test your water? The clown look terrible,did the other fish show signs like the clown before they died.I'd say that's odinium,kills much quicker than WS. If you do treat your tank with a copper based medication,you can not add corals or inverts later,it will kill anything on your lr,and you will have an ammonia spike.
    Reef safe medication,polyp lab medic
    N't labs anti bacterial followed by parazoryne.

15. Milnec

Milnec Registered

Thanks for your help chaps. Just been to the lfs and explain ed everything and he has given me a 3 day treatment called Esha oodinex. Hopefully this will sort the problem.

16. doug_amanda

Ooddinex is not a bad treatment for white spot although it has nothing in it to kill the parasite, the ingredients are designed to calm the fish and help them combat the w/s on their own so it's important not to stress them unduly so hands out of the tank and any tank maintenance keep to a minimum to give the fish the best chance of throwing it off,

17. Milnec

Milnec Registered

Ok that's will do.

18. Grannycarolann

Grannycarolann Registered

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice