1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured help needed with gbta dosent look well

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by warby, Dec 20, 2013.

1. warby

warby Registered

as above just had a look in my tank after lights out and my nem really dosent look well. what do you think? and what should i do? it looked fine earlier. any advice/help would be appreciated
    thanks in advance
    WP_20131220_012.jpg
    WP_20131220_009.jpg
    WP_20131220_013.jpg

2. diver 807

diver 807 Registered

they go to sleep when light out,wait and see what its like in the morning

3. warby

warby Registered

whats all the white stuff in the middle near its mouth? thats what ot me worried lol iv seen it shrivel up at night before but not like this its been fine for the last 2-3weeks since i got it

4. Moneydownthecouch

Moneydownthecouch Registered

As above,our nem sulks more than my missus, tomorrow's another day, could well be right as rain in the morning

5. warby

warby Registered

Ok ill take a look at him tomorrow when the lights have been on foe a while and see what happens...

6. jack_kemp

jack_kemp Registered

Check him in the morning. Mine sulks all the time.

If hes still looking unwell, then usual questions really! Parameters, tank size, age, lights etc etc

7. passthereefer

passthereefer Registered

How long have you had the nen in your tank and how old is the tank?

If it's quite a stable aged tank the nem could.simply just be curling up.for a night in. I had an rbta that spanned a ft wide during the day, but would shrink itself down to about 3 inches at night.

If it's a new tank just setup, it could be a little more problematic as your alk and calc could potentially be all over the place.

8. warby

warby Registered

This tank has been running since June i had a smaller one running from January and transferred everything over. Params are normal

ammo 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5 dkh 10.2, ph8.2 temp 26, calc 420 mag 1300. Tested them yesterday checked ammo and nitrite just now. It does look a bit better now. Its mouth is closed and its about 4" diameter maybe it was just sleeping ill post a pic later when main lights come on

9. Enzogobby

Enzogobby Registered

People say all the time that nems should be introduced in a more mature tank of at least 12 months.....so what happens when you upgrade tank? Are you not supposed to move nem over? I need some sort of logic, if possible.

10. warby

warby Registered

good point enzogoby iv not got a clue. Maybe someone with more nem experience will have an answer.....

11. Elkaa

Elkaa Registered

It's not always about the tank it's about the keeper aswell - could plonk a nem into a brand new tank and it'll be fine or same scenario with an inexperienced person and it could go to **** so..

12. Darren@BigBlue

[email protected] Registered

It's just that anemones are fragile, have a very limited ability to adapt and thrive best in a stable environment. Older set ups are frequently more settled. What happens when you migrate to a new set up? You be as careful as you can and take steps to minimise disruption to valuable stock. Don't forget that these 'rules' regarding livestock are often just repeated hearsay and not set in stone or even necessarily accurate in the first instance. As they say... Your. mileage may vary.

13. Matt@Epo

just to add that in most circumstances an upgrade will utilise the previous tank's mature rock and some of its water. An upgraded tank can still be a relatively stable environment as apposed to a brand new immature and sterile set up.

14. Darren@BigBlue

Completely agree, though the size of this beneficial effect will naturally depend on the size of the upgrade relative to the old tank's volume and the quality of the water being transferred .

15. jas

jas Registered

If your params are stable and the lighting is strong and good, IME after the initial cycle. My RBTA was added in august. This tank was running a month. It recently split, so now I got two. They are both top shape. I don't believe in minimum time frames only good husbandry. Feed it once per week is my advice.
    IMG_20131110_204422.JPG
    Here's my split RBTA in a 3 month old tank. It had been in 2 months.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  16. Darren@BigBlue

Completely agree. A bit of common sense. Excellent.

17. warby

warby Registered

My tank is stable the params only change slightly between water changes. By the way back to the original post.....its gone into hiding now and shrivelled up again guess ill just ride it out so to speak......is there anything i need to look out for if it is dying apart from open mouth and internals coming out?

18. jas

jas Registered

Is that the only invert in your tank?... Corals, snails...?

19. warby

warby Registered

Iv got 4red leg hermits, numerous turbo snails(they have had babies), 2 strawberry conch, hammerhead coral, torch coral, frogspawn, mushies, rico mushies, zoas, finger leather, goneoporia (sp?), fungia plate coral. None of the corals are near the nem. Its hanging out upside down under a rock but inflated now maybe about 3inches

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice