1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured HELP needed asap

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by MrLarner, Jan 16, 2010.

1. MrLarner

MrLarner Registered

i've been out today and bought loads of RO water and some small frags and was assuming i would get home and set up my new tank, well after pouring all the RO in and salt, and turned power heads on to circulate the water so the salt can dissolve, i then turned the filter on, fluval 205, but to my amazement, there is a hole in the bottom of the filter, the filter came with the tank by the way, it was only 2 months old.
    so i've emptied the filter to have a look but cant see any holes at all, and the water is only dripping slowly, but there is a hole [016.gif]
    can i go out and buy some sealant and pour it all over the area where the hole is? or do i need a new filter? or can i buy just the outer casing of the fluval 205?
    im so gutted.
    any help will be great.

2. kbekl

kbekl Registered

is their a definate hole or is it only dripping water

if it is the latter i would say the sealing ring is the problem

you can seal it with aqau silicone but leave it 2 days to dry

3. northernmonkey

northernmonkey Registered

To be honest you would get away with just running the tank as is for the moment while you sort out the filter . You will need to sort something though mate before you start stocking it out with fish and corals [thumbup1.gif]

4. MrLarner

MrLarner Registered

its not at the top of the filter, its the base, where the 4 little legs are on it, well not legs but 4 little rubber things are, its coming from 1 of them, i've looked into the filter to see if i can see anything but i cant.
    can i seal it all with some kind of glue or paste or anything in that matter?
    obviously i wont seal it from the inside, i'll do the outside,
    but what can i buy online?
    also, can i buy a new fluval 205 filter case? i've just looked on the net, but cant find anything [016.gif]

5. bulldogsimon

bulldogsimon Registered

ive fixed holes in these befor with a soldering iron, just melt it back together, be carefull not to go through it though

6. BigLarry

BigLarry Guest

Like NM says, you're OK to run without a filter for a while (I did when I took out my old filter and realised I didnt have enough pipework).

Regards the outer casing, I've found a second hand complete 205 for £25 on aquarist-classifieds, obvioulsly there's postage on top of that.

7. MrLarner

MrLarner Registered

you got the link mate? i want to buy it.

8. BigLarry

BigLarry Guest

9. LittleOcean

LittleOcean Registered

I think, not 100% sure I've got an old 205 in the shed, your welcome to it for spare parts, last time I used it it worked but I think there may have been a slow leak from the o-ring seal (old), and a couple of the screws are a bit rusty from the salt water.

Pay the postage and something for gosh and it's yours [thumbup1.gif]

If your interested I'll look it out, check it's a 205 and do a leak test on the bottom part.

10. wackystarfish

wackystarfish Registered

Very kind little ocean :) A little bit of seal might fix it though!

11. MrLarner

MrLarner Registered

LittleOcean you got a PM mate,
    wackystarfish, what kind of sealent can i get for it?
    because i cant see the hole, it must be so small, there aint any cracks or anything like that, so it must of been a pin or something silly like that which done it, but im going to buy some online and just dont know what to get.
    any ideas or links mate?

12. LittleOcean

LittleOcean Registered

I'll brave the rain in a minute and look it out,

p.s. got fish safe silicone if you need some £3.50 for a full size tube..

13. LittleOcean

LittleOcean Registered

Bum!, it's a 104, presumably the 104 has got a smaller bottom piece??

anyone know?

[007.gif]

p.s. I'm having trouble reading your last pm, as it's saying my folder full, but deleting doesn't make a difference..
    EDIt Figured it out clicked release on hold messages! [blushing.gif]

14. MrLarner

MrLarner Registered

I'd asume the 104 has a smaller base [016.gif]
    never mind, this sealant you have, when could you get to me? could it be posted? and how much including postage?
    also, would it be ok to just use it all the over the area of where the hole is, so i know i've 100% covered it.
    and would it be safe to put it at the bottom of the filter, (the inside of it)
    and on the outside to make sure it dont leak again?

15. LittleOcean

LittleOcean Registered

16. MrLarner

MrLarner Registered

i only need a small ammount, so has anyone got any links for some kind of sealant or something i can paste over the hole so it dont leak again?
    ive looked on e-bay but wouldnt know what 1 to trust, meaning strenth, safe for marine water, no fungus or bacteria growing on it etc etc...

17. LittleOcean

LittleOcean Registered

What about milliput?, give it a light sanding for it to key into shud do it no probs..

18. MrLarner

MrLarner Registered

just had a look on the net, and the 105 and 205 are the same size, but not sure of the 104, any chance you could measure just the case which i want and i'll compare it to the measurements their giving on the net.
    cheers again mate.

19. MrLarner

MrLarner Registered

I've found out all the compartments are the same, the shaft, the media you can buy all come in the same sizes, but i just cant find out the size of the 104, im assuming it'll be the same, any chance you could PM your number so i can give you a call mate?

20. LittleOcean

LittleOcean Registered

No don't think it is, 7.5" high and 7" across the top [016.gif]

Anyone want it, I'm not going back in the shed again [011.gif]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice