1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured hanna checker

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by richard, Nov 19, 2010.

1. richard

richard Registered

Just wondering which ones the best to get, the phosphate checker or the phosphorus one.

Is the phosphorus checker more accurate and is it easy to convert the reading into phosphate.

My salifert kit says I have zero phosphate yet I have algae growing all over the place, so I thought I'd see what the reading is from one of these.

2. tanktests

tanktests Registered

Hi Richard phosphorous checkers measure in parts per billion rather than parts per million.

So depends how precise you want to be..we happen to have these on offer

Marine Test Kits for reef tanks

V

3. Neil

Neil Registered

I have the phosphorous checker and IMHO a wast of money it has never given the same two results

4. richard

richard Registered

Well that doesn't sound good, I thought these were supposed to be really accurate, is there any chance there's something wrong with yours.

I have seen them on your website, tank tests and was planning on getting one but not too sure now.

As anyone else had problems with them ?

5. tanktests

tanktests Registered

Hi Neil

Do you want me to pm me with the issue..we have had one other customer who had an issue with the results...but when we discussed with technical and cross referenced a test with tap water. It turned out the Hanna's technical division had guessed/presumed the problem.

The curvette was being shaken too vigourously causing micro bubbles and effecting the reading.

Muzzy started to use one and found results comparable with previous testing methods and I too use it on our own tank, with good results..

I'm not saying you are using it wrong or that it is user error, or a faulty unit...but happy to help you if I can?

Regards

Vicki

6. Neil

Neil Registered

Vicki I have PMed you with the problems

7. richard

richard Registered

Would the standard phosphate checker be accurate enough for a lps tank, its mainly just to find out what's causing the algae to grow.

Also does anyone know how these compare to the dd kit.

8. tanktests

tanktests Registered

PM Replied:wave:

9. car147

car147 Registered

Mine was not supplied by TT, but is the same, and despite trying the solutions it is staying in the cupboard as it's a complete waste of time. I see in the US they are admitting there's a problem with the solutions?

10. Neil

Neil Registered

Have a link ?

I had a phone call from Hanna on Monday (thanks Vicky for contacting them)

Im going to be running some test over the week end then phoning Hanna back with the results

11. tanktests

tanktests Registered

Thanks for the update Neil....let us know how you get on as we are obviously interested in what Hanna have to say.

BR

Vicki

12. Rob Long

Rob Long Registered

I used a salifert kit that showed zero but with the Hanna it gives me a reading of 0.02 so i'm not sure that having the phosphorous one is really that necessary.

13. Dan1

Dan1 Registered

I ve found on the odd few occasions some of the sachets have had bits in that wont dissolve so have opened a new one and done test again with a clean sachet.
    It is true to say the vials have to be absolutely spotless. I have to hold mine upto the light to see any minute specks on the glass.
    Also something that annoys me is the 2 min time out, i ve had to restart tests when i ve been timed out through adding powder, then mixing and removing bubbles from vial, i find if i dont shake it very well then the powder doesnt dissolve properly giving a false reading then on flip side i shake well and then have to remove micro bubbles and sometimes get timed out:mad:. Im still unsure of which is the best test to trust so will be doing more test, a ref solution would be good. Anyone know if hanna do one?

Dan

14. tanktests

tanktests Registered

I now know that Hanna have changed the reagents for the Alk Checker from powder to liquid and that will probably address most of the issues raised ....moving forward..

It would make sense if they followed that route with phosphorous then?...I'll start another dialogue with the Hanna rep (must be sick of me now:rolleyes:)

:thumbup1:

15. Evilscoop

Evilscoop Registered

if your calling them, can you find out an eta on the mg and ca checkers they promised :D

16. tanktests

tanktests Registered

Yes..no probs...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice