1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Gyres - Maxspect or jebao?

Discussion in 'Equipment discussion' started by northernreefa, Jul 8, 2016.

1. northernreefa

northernreefa Registered

I already own a Maxspect gyre but I want to obtain real random wave flow so I need to buy another for the other end of my tank, I was gonna buy another Maxspect however I have also found another make of gyre by jebao, does anyone have experience of them?
    Thanks

2. city1111

city1111 Registered

Seen a few people well impressed with them, and with the price too, but then was seeing if they are reliable too, and there's a few ive seen recently failed and stopped working, but to be fair they have sent out a replacement motor....ive got a gyre and contemplating putting something else in with it if needed when I get the 5x2x2 up and running..

3. northernreefa

northernreefa Registered

To be honest I Am leaning towards another Maxspect, I like the fact that the gyre takes up very little room in the display whereas a power head really can obstruct your viewing somewhat...also I've had the Maxspect for 5 months and not a single problem, I was only angling towards the jebao because of the price as a saving of nearly a hundred and twenty sheets is NOT to be sniffed at, hopefully someone else on here has experience of the jebao

4. warby

warby Registered

Don't rate them at all hated mine in my 5ft. The flow was too direct and my lps we really didn't like it.....sold it and went back to wavemakers.

There is a few reports of the jebao cp45 failing but it's what you would expect when they have sold a boat load lol.

sent from my s6 using Tapatalk!

5. northernreefa

northernreefa Registered

In maxspects defence it's a bit like the old Stella Artois adverts "reassuringly expensive"

6. northernreefa

northernreefa Registered

[MENTION=20322]warby[/MENTION] - did you have jebao or Maxspect?

7. Bob1888

Bob1888 Registered

If you're happy with the amount of movement in you're tank with the maxpect they are bringing out an advanced controller which is going to give a bigger number of varying flow pattern have a look on maxpects website don't know how close they are to releasing in the UK

8. northernreefa

northernreefa Registered

I'm really happy with the Maxspect gyre full stop but I just thought if I had one at each end of my display tank with both running on pulse mode running on alternate cycles it would be perfect to offer alternating flow...and then I found the jebao gyre and without sounding tight a £120 saving is not to be sniffed at

9. warby

warby Registered

I had the maxpect one. I get the feeling there a bit like marmite..... you either live them or hate them lol

10. mark1177

mark1177 Registered

I had a Maxspect my sand was at one end so sold it for 2 rw 15s

11. Bluez_01

Bluez_01 Registered

Its like warby said really, you even love them or hate them really.
    I did a lot of research before taking the plunge on my cp-25, I knew the cp-40 would be too powerful for the reefspace 900, so I waited for the cp-25 to come out, a few members on here have the maxspect one, others like myself run the jaebo versions, I can only talk from my own view really, but the cp-25 does work well, and I have had no issues with it thus far.

What I can say though, is you need to consider what "top rock" corals you have, as these guys are going to take the blunt of it, and if they are within a few feet of the main flow they can take a hit and start to go south.

You are kind of in a good situation really, as if you did go the jaebo way, you have the safety of knowing that if either of the two gyres should stop working, you have another one that will carry you until you get the other sorted out, one thing that should be noted though, is that the ones from jaebo have a good flow one way, and the "reverse" flow is not so good (as the blades are prefixed in one direction) I currently have mine set on 30% one way, and 70% of the reverse, but the reverse in all honesty just allows the corals to rest for awhile until it kicks back over again, however because you will have two running, you should be ok on this part.

Setting the times on the two maybe a little more tricky though, as over time you will probably find that they will go out of sync with each other, meaning you may have to adjust them every so often to get them to resync again, if you feed your tank twice a day for example this probably wont be a huge issue, as you will put them both on "feed" mode anyway, but if you feed once a day, you may need to resync them before bed time.

12. warby

warby Registered

If you get 2 jebao ones you could get the wifi controller which will stay in sync or atleast my 2 rw 15s have.

13. 372xp

372xp Registered

I think the Aqualink T1 works with the Maxpect . This will give you a more varied flow pattern. Me personally I don't like the gyre, I find the options limiting.

14. northernreefa

northernreefa Registered

I ended up buying another Maxspect 130 instead of the jebao as I didn't have any experience of it whereas I have had the Maxspect gyre for nearly 6 months now and no major problems with it

15. northernreefa

northernreefa Registered

16. warby

warby Registered

17. Scott

Scott Registered

I loved my crossflow and my gyre i would never go back to wavemakers now ive seen the light :-d

18. cuprajake

cuprajake Registered

Maxspect my jebao lasted a few months

19. merser

merser Registered

How long did your crossflow last pal?...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. les

les Registered

I have 3 Maxspects in my 100 gallon 2 X FX150s set up horizontally at each end of the tank and a FX130 vertically in the rear corner. The 2 150s are connected to a Sicce Wave surfer for even more controlability . I Have upgraded the rotors and what an increase in power they make and had to turn them down which makes them cheaper to run and more efficient giving approximately 50% more power. The new Jebao's are supposed to be very good and just like Maxspect it appears they have sorted out the issues but as I don;t run Jebao's I can't confirm that. However if I was starting again I would probably opt for the Jebao's given the price difference. My Maxspects were all purchased secondhand at good used prices.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice